The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Screenshot_20210626-111112_Chrome.jpg

Yup.  Larionov said that a year or so ago after Pod got drafted..

I doubt Pod has the offensive skills of Mess but if he could get close to the grit, leadership and longevity of Mess he would be a special player. 

Anything close to Messier is a huge draft day coup at 10th overall. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yup.  Larionov said that a year or so ago after Pod got drafted..

I doubt Pod has the offensive skills of Mess but if he could get close to the grit, leadership and longevity of Mess he would be a special player. 

Anything close to Messier is a huge draft day coup at 10th overall. 

Never saw the words carbon copy... and this was a year ago so let's take it with a grain of salt.

My personal comparison (through scattered video and articles) would be ryan kelser... obviously not a center but he is tenacious, gritty, has incredible drive with an offensive flair. Would be happy with a 2 way 60 point average physical winger (who wouldnt'?).

If his last name was smith and he was in the OHL he would have been #3 all day. Can't wait to see him in blue and green next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Messier with Oilers NYR or Canucks?

No one but Canuck fans remember the washed up lazy version in Van.

I hope he is right and that we got ourselves a “prime” Messier. I prefer the Russian angle and would have hoped ge compared him to an Ovechkin instead :P

6 hours ago, coryberg said:

Never saw the words carbon copy... and this was a year ago so let's take it with a grain of salt.

My personal comparison (through scattered video and articles) would be ryan kelser... obviously not a center but he is tenacious, gritty, has incredible drive with an offensive flair. Would be happy with a 2 way 60 point average physical winger (who wouldnt'?).

If his last name was smith and he was in the OHL he would have been #3 all day. Can't wait to see him in blue and green next season.

I agree with most of what you said, but comparing Podzolzin to Kesler isn't even close. 

IMO, I think this kid is going leave Kesler in his dust. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree with most of what you said, but comparing Podzolzin to Kesler isn't even close. 

IMO, I think this kid is going leave Kesler in his dust. 

He will be hard pressed to leave a 41 goal selke winning season in the dust but I do admire your optimism 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He will be hard pressed to leave a 41 goal selke winning season in the dust but I do admire your optimism 

Not saying Kesler didn't have his moments, especially during the Nashville series, but I believe that Podkolzin is going to surpass anything RK ever accomplished. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Not saying Kesler didn't have his moments, especially during the Nashville series, but I believe that Podkolzin is going to surpass anything RK ever accomplished. 

Kesler never came close to 41 goals besides that one year in 2011. The rest of his career i think podz could definitely be like keslers 20-25 goals 60-70 points.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, grandmaster said:

No one but Canuck fans remember the washed up lazy version in Van.

I hope he is right and that we got ourselves a “prime” Messier. I prefer the Russian angle and would have hoped ge compared him to an Ovechkin instead :P

Be relieved that Larionov didn't compare Podkolzin to Krutov....

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Be relieved that Larionov didn't compare Podkolzin to Krutov....

regards,  G.

is Krutov the original "fat Jake"? 

• Vintage 1