The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have $26.7mill and Change in cap space to work with. With 13 players signed so lets start there. Lets play a game

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I don't understand why you think so highly of Lockwood. What gives you reason to believe that he is such a lock for next season

Well for one he looked nowhere near out of place on the big club 

I would target Scott Mayfield if I’m JB to bolster up our defense both positionally and in size/physicality. 

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than 3C, our lineups are almost identical FWIW:lol: But sure, mine's 'awful' in comparison. Ok.

And no, it 'screams' bubble playoff team... Which is exactly where we should continue to be for one more season. I see no reason to be signing a bunch of mid-higher dollar UFA's to try to force the issue ahead of schedule. Our key core guys aren't even in their primes yet.

You should also check out my edit with a 'Palat' (or similar) added. And they made that trade as a (comparatively cheap) cost of clearing cap. Had nothing to to with having other injured players.

I'd be perfectly fine trading Lind or similar to what looks to be a re-something CBJ team for Jenner, to better ensure that future personally.

And no, it doesn't have to be him specifically, but I do think next year is the better time line to fill that hole.

And no, I don't want to play 'defensively'. I want us to have a solid defense that moves and helps keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Boyd and Sutter and your third line right wingers are such a down grade to what I have.

The only way I keep Sutter is if Beagle is gone long term and Sutter signs for no more than 2mill 1 year and fills that bottom 4C role and plays PK

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I would target Scott Mayfield if I’m JB to bolster up our defense both positionally and in size/physicality. 

A few meaningless games doesn't merit a third line spot. That is not a bet a GM should play. He could get to pre-season and be a total bust. Then the UFA is over and you have no other options. 

9 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

I think people are too pessimistic on our defence and don't understand what a "rebuild on the fly" entails.

our cheap, mediocre defensemen actually have plus/minus figures pretty much at zero.

our free agent signings have been really poor..... not sure we are highly unique in that regard.

so play your young talent. what's the worst thing that will happen? have a year like this past year?... and augment it with cheap, veteran defensemen.

frankly, our power play and penalty killing were very mediocre this year. don't have it in front of me but somewhere in the 20th rank for each. and that has very little to do with depth (3rd and 4th line players that I constantly hear about)

I so agree with your statement to the point that no one could agree with a statement more then I do right now.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have said it before and will say it again Lind is a fringe player he will amount to nothing.

I would switch MacEwen for Gadj to rotate him in on the forth line with Highmore. 

Neither Lind or Gadj are 3rd line material Gadj has a chance but needs more time.

You may be correct and on a balance of probabilities I'm inclined to agree with you on Lind. But I'd rather give him a legitimate chance to prove himself on the third line than experiment on potentially fringe players on D where there is greater responsibility (Aka Joulevi/Merril). I think Rathbone is an NHL player but ill-suited to being on a pairing with Schmidt hence why we need either Edler back or another defensive minded dman in UFA. 

33 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Boyd and Sutter and your third line right wingers are such a down grade to what I have.

We have winger prospects and it's the easiest position to fill. I'm not entirely opposed to adding a (cheap, low term) UFA there but it's not somewhere I'm focusing a bunch of UFA dollars if I'm JB. Especially not right now (again, a year early IMO).

I'd much rather we target things like my taking on Palat's cap for our IR cap suggestion, to add that winger depth, and push some of our better guys down in to those 3rd line slots. Or largely just role with what we have/cheap, short term UFA's.

The only way I keep Sutter is if Beagle is gone long term and Sutter signs for no more than 2mill 1 year and fills that bottom 4C role and plays PK

Of course. If Beagle's back we have no overwhelming need for Sutter (or an optional, external UFA). That's precisely what my post indicated. By most accounts though, it sounds like Beagle is likely done.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yup Mayfield would be one of my prime targets on D. Manson (ANA) another. Even Jensen (WAS), though less exciting, is a decent option.

Dream summer scenario: Trade for one of those guys, win the #2 slot lotto and draft Clarke and re-up Hamonic for 2 years...yes please!

Hughes, Mayfield/Manson/Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield/Manson/Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi, Myers

Eventually Clarke comes in to replace Myers in +/- 2-3 years. Woo comes in for Hamonic.

(*Cernak or Foote would be even better.)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lockwood is on our team next year, and he is a great guy on PK.  Pods is really good on the PK too.  Sure, the PK forwards will start with Motte, Pearson, Miller, Bo, and Highmore.  But when Green sees Lockwood and Pods on the PK, he will play them more, and take the burden of those harder minutes off Miller and Bo.  I wonder what our forward lines will look like adding in Lockwood and Pods?  

Miller, Petey, Bess

Pearson, Bo, Hogs

Motte, ?, Pods

Highmore, ?, ? 

Ferland       Pettersson   Boeser

Hoglander    Miller          Appleton

Pearson       Horvat        Podkolzin

Highmore    Trenin        Lockwood

Love to see that lineup next year.  Have MacEwen and Gadjovich on standy for some big time truculence in case we need it...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Love to see that lineup next year.  Have MacEwen and Gadjovich on standy for some big time truculence in case we need it...

Fast, skilled, and high compete.  That’s the kind of team I like to watch.  :canucks:

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

You may be correct and on a balance of probabilities I'm inclined to agree with you on Lind. But I'd rather give him a legitimate chance to prove himself on the third line than experiment on potentially fringe players on D where there is greater responsibility (Aka Joulevi/Merril). I think Rathbone is an NHL player but ill-suited to being on a pairing with Schmidt hence why we need either Edler back or another defensive minded dman in UFA. 

I see Rathbone and Schmidt as the same type of player with Rathbone having a higher offensive potential. They can both move the puck relatively equal they both have an offensive side to their games and both are good on defense. I would say this is what you want is a 2nd line pair.

take for example if one guy is offensively talented (Hughes) you need to pair him with a defensive Dman. That is why Hamonic is with Hughes and OJ is with Myers is see OJ as the defensive guy with Myers with having the offensive side. 

So with guys like Schmidt and Rathbone which play more balance games there is no need to pair they with an opposite because there is no opposite to balance. You don't want to pair them with to defensive or offensive minded players because then you lose to much of the other. I hope this makes sense it does to me LOL

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Ferland isn't on LTIR I think this is a big if even bigger if would be if he can catch up after missing so much time. And how long does he last before someone hits him and he goes fully brain dead and I'm not Joking IMHO it would be stupid of him to come back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

A few meaningless games doesn't merit a third line spot. That is not a bet a GM should play. He could get to pre-season and be a total bust. Then the UFA is over and you have no other options. 

Meaningless to fans not to the players playing for a job, on both sides no less. He has definitely earned a look. 

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We have winger prospects and it's the easiest position to fill. I'm not entirely opposed to adding a (cheap, low term) UFA there but it's not somewhere I'm focusing a bunch of UFA dollars if I'm JB. Especially not right now (again, a year early IMO).

I'd much rather we target things like my taking on Palat's cap for our IR cap suggestion, to add that winger depth, and push some of our better guys down in to those 3rd line slots. Or largely just role with what we have/cheap, short term UFA's.

Of course. If Beagle's back we have no overwhelming need for Sutter (or an optional, external UFA). That's precisely what my post indicated. By most accounts though, it sounds like Beagle is likely done.

Get off the LTIR stuff TBL doesn't have any injuries so this doesn't work.

The goal of taking on LTIR contracts is to not lose cap space. Others have explained this.

A team wants to get as close to the cap as possible when using LTIR or you lose cap space.

Kucherov was injured and didn't come back till the playoffs so they had to get as close to the cap before placing him on LTIR (It had a lot to do with how big Kucherov cap hit was) . their is a whole mathematic explanation on cap friendly I highly recommend you check it out.

If Beagle is LTIR this season we can use that relief to acquire someone to replace him. (they don't even have to replace beagle specifically they can replace his cap of 3.00mill)

If Beagle was to be LTIR all season the Canucks would then have $26.7+3.00= 29.7 million in cap space to spend this season

This would be the same benefit we would get if a guy like Erikson where to get injured or if Lou had been traded back to the Canucks and gone on LTIR.

Edited by Arrow 1983

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Meaningless to fans not to the players playing for a job, on both sides no less. He has definitely earned a look. 

Yes he earns a look but not a guaranteed spot in no means.

I put Pods on my second line but he still has to earn it.At least with Pods he played in the KHL and I consider that better than AHL or even a few games in the NHL

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Get off the LTIR stuff TBL doesn't have any injuries so this doesn't work.

They're still playing hockey. We have no idea what injuries they do or will have.

7 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

The goal of taking on LTIR contracts is to not lose cap space. Others have explained this.

A team wants to get as close to the cap as possible when using LTIR or you lose cap space.

Kucherov was injured and didn't come back till the playoffs so they had to get as close to the cap before placing him on LTIR (It had a lot to do with how big Kucherov cap hit was) . their is a whole mathematic explanation on cap friendly I highly recommend you check it out.

I'm not talking about Kucherov.. Gaborik and Nilsson for Coburn and Paquette.

If Beagle is LTIR this season we can use that relief to acquire someone to replace him. 

If Beagle was to be LTIR all season the Canucks would then have $26.7+3.00= 29.7 million in cap space to spend this season

This would be the same benefit we would get if a guy like Erikson where to get injured or if Lou had been traded back to the Canucks and gone on LTIR.

I'm aware.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

All i know is before the Seattle draft we need to have 1 forward and 1 defenseman on the team via trade. We cant be going into the draft protecting lind, gadj or jouveli. Those 2 spots need to be filled with new players that seattle would go after in the draft. 

Why I wouldn't do anything until after the draft unless a trade was to good to pass on and then JB for example wants to expose Myers

Only thing the Canucks should do is put JV and Hotlby on waiver for buyout reasons

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

They're still playing hockey. We have no idea what injuries they do or will have.

I'm aware.

Gaborik and Nilsson is off their books after this season. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm aware.

now you are betting on injuries to TBL players????? your line-up rests on IF TBL players get injured