The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have $26.7mill and Change in cap space to work with. With 13 players signed so lets start there. Lets play a game

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

$26.748mill to be more precise. This is the game build your line-up for next season. The rules; stay cap compliant salary cap is $81.5mill and be reasonable if you are making a trade. Final rule you must use the same buyouts and players in the minors as I did as this is the most likely scenario  (I recommend using cap friendly) 

How I get that number.

Buyout- Virtanen and Holtby

Minors- Eriksson and Roussel

LTIR- Ferland

The 13 players

Forwards

Miller Boeser Pearson Horvat Hoglander Motte Beagle Highmore, MacEwen

defense 

Schimdt Myers Rathbone

Goaltenders

Demko

This is the starting point for all of us now build your line-up

My next year line-up

Forwards

Miller Pettersson (2 years @ 6.5 mil) Boeser

Pearson Horvat Pods ( 3 years @ .925 mil)

Hoglander Granlund ( 4 years @ 4.5mil) Coleman (4 years @ 3.5mil)

Motte Beagle Highmore

MacEwen

Defense

Hughes (2 years @ 6.5mill) Hamonic (2 years @ 1.75mil)

Rathbbone Schmidt

Juolevi (2 year @ .975mil) Myers

Jon Merrill (1-2 years @ 1.25mil)

Goaltenders

Demko 

Dipietro 

Cap hit according to Cap friendly $81.463546mil, Remaining cap space $36,454

My roster size is 22 players, with the Canucks Minor team now in Abby this should be fine other teams have done this in the past.

Pettersson and Hughes signed for 2 year bridge 6.5mill makes them the highest payed on the team. The big contracts come after 

Merrill on defense gives veteran  insurance with a young left side core.

Granlund IMHO is the best 3C for this team. We get him at that price because we can offer term there is no one in the Canucks system to fill that spot anytime soon and the truth is they can pay for the player he is now not what he was before.

Coleman fair deal. could come in cheaper

Dipietro well I wrote a whole topic on him.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

It's too tight and depends on Hughes and Petterson signing pretty generous contracts. You likely aren't getting Coleman (swapped with Lind/Gadj) but perhaps a return of Edler on a cheap contract to shore up defense.  With that line up, if we have basically one or two injuries to defense we're screwed. And we basically always have 1-2 injuries on D every year. 

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh, looking at that D is not good. 
If there is truth that Seth Jones is available then he needs to be target #1-50. 

LOL Seth Jones would destroy the cap and leave a massive gap on your third line

I like the defense it allows for a possession game. 

27 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

It's too tight and depends on Hughes and Petterson signing pretty generous contracts. You likely aren't getting Coleman (swapped with Lind/Gadj) but perhaps a return of Edler on a cheap contract to shore up defense.  With that line up, if we have basically one or two injuries to defense we're screwed. And we basically always have 1-2 injuries on D every year. 

I don't believe those are generous deals for Pettersson and Hughes. Those are 2 year deals and making them the highest payed players on the team. These guys I would bet aren't getting as much money as most think.

I line the defense it allows for a possession game. If any team suffers 2 major loses on defense it is hard to replace that position. Teams carry up to 8 dmen on a team and usually the bottom 2 are not that good anyways. Merrill is a capably bottom 6. As I see it he insures competition and those 3 OJ, Bones and Merrill are not going to play 82 games unless one really stands out or if there is a long to injurie. I would expect 50-60 games each who ever is going is in the line-up.

Really if you lose Hughes no team can replace him unless you are a team like TBL. But even if they did Rathbone would or one of the others would get a chance at PP1. 

I think most peoples problem is the youth of the defense but I think it could be a strength. I expect mistakes but I also expect puck movement. This defense allows for a deep top 9 forward group. 

Keep in mind as well there are 3 6mil dollar players on this team I expect that leadership group to lead and carry most of the mins.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

And you believe that’s money that could be better spent for a different piece?

there is no one on this team to fill holes on the third line but on Defense we have the depth in the system to fill those holes

Edited by Arrow 1983

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh, looking at that D is not good. 
If there is truth that Seth Jones is available then he needs to be target #1-50. 

Ya 3 young rising LD stars paired with good RD defenders is a terrible thing. They may struggle as they are young and inexperienced pairings but theres ton of potential there.

With that said if you could trade Schmidt and upgrade that side it would be huge.

7 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

$26.748mill to be more precise. This is the game build your line-up for next season. The rules; stay cap compliant salary cap is $81.5mill and be reasonable if you are making a trade. Final rule you must use the same buyouts and players in the minors as I did as this is the most likely scenario  (I recommend using cap friendly) 

How I get that number.

Buyout- Virtanen and Holtby

Minors- Eriksson and Roussel

LTIR- Ferland

The 13 players

Forwards

Miller Boeser Pearson Horvat Hoglander Motte Beagle Highmore, MacEwen

defense 

Schimdt Myers Rathbone

Goaltenders

Demko

This is the starting point for all of us now build your line-up

My next year line-up

Forwards

Miller Pettersson (2 years @ 6.5 mil) Boeser

Pearson Horvat Pods ( 3 years @ .925 mil)

Hoglander Granlund ( 4 years @ 4.5mil) Coleman (4 years @ 3.5mil)

Motte Beagle Highmore

MacEwen

Defense

Hughes (2 years @ 6.5mill) Hamonic 

Rathbbone Schmidt

Juolevi (2 year @ .975mil) Myers

Jon Merrill (1-2 years @ 1.25mil)

Goaltenders

Demko 

Dipietro 

Cap hit according to Cap friendly $81.463546mil, Remaining cap space $36,454

My roster size is 22 players, with the Canucks Minor team now in Abby this should be fine other teams have done this in the past.

Pettersson and Hughes signed for 2 year bridge 6.5mill makes them the highest payed on the team. The big contracts come after 

Merrill on defense gives veteran  insurance with a young left side core.

Granlund IMHO is the best 3C for this team. We get him at that price because we can offer term there is no one in the Canucks system to fill that spot anytime soon and the truth is they can pay for the player he is now not what he was before.

Coleman fair deal. could come in cheaper

Dipietro well I wrote a whole topic on him.

Decent lineup.

I'd add a veteran LD or RD to eat up PK minutes and other defensive minutes.

If we add a veteran RD, move Schmidt to LD and Rathbone and Juolevi will have to platoon to begin the season until they show that they can eat up hard minutes consistently.

Considering that there is almost always an injury on the backend, OJ and Rathbone will get their chance to play regularly at some point in the season if they prove themselves.

Granlund and Coleman are signed too long? One or two year less, especially for Granlund if possible.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Decent lineup.

I'd add a veteran LD or RD to eat up PK minutes and other defensive minutes.

If we add a veteran RD, move Schmidt to LD and Rathbone and Juolevi will have to platoon to begin the season until they show that they can eat up hard minutes consistently.

Considering that there is almost always an injury on the backend, OJ and Rathbone will get their chance to play regularly at some point in the season if they prove themselves.

Granlund and Coleman are signed too long? One or two year less, especially for Granlund if possible.

I did everything you mentioned Merrill can eat PK mins. I actually see OJ, Bones and Merrill splitting games around 50-60 each unless one breaks out or there are long term injuries.

Granlund and Coleman are both 29 years old those terms I would argue are expectable as they are both getting their last big contracts this season.

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I have said it before and will say it again Lind is a fringe player he will amount to nothing.

I would switch MacEwen for Gadj to rotate him in on the forth line with Highmore. 

Neither Lind or Gadj are 3rd line material Gadj has a chance but needs more time.

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I did everything you mentioned Merrill can eat PK mins. I actually see OJ, Bones and Merrill splitting games around 50-60 each unless one breaks out or there are long term injuries.

Granlund and Coleman are both 29 years old those terms I would argue are expectable as they are both getting their last big contracts this season.

Not really. I was thinking someone better than Merrill. A player that can actually eat up minutes down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I'm not liking the idea of Hughes, Rathbone, Merrill, and OJ defending McDavid, Draisaitl, Vegas forwards during the stretch run/playoffs.

If we give Granlund 4 year term, he will become the next {insert name here} (Sutter, Beagle) and will become the next player that fans/media use to blame JB.

I like Coleman, but who knows if he blows his knee like Roussel after one year and he sucks for the remaining 3 years?

I agree that allocating about 4.5 mil for 3C makes sense but we should sign one on at most a 3 year deal if we are signing a 29-30 year old player and I'd sign a cheaper and short term 3RW/4RW so that we can find the money to sign an upgrade on RD.

• Cheers 1

@Arrow 1983Granlund is really more of a winger than C. Also don't think he's the the right fit for what we need (decent player though).

Also, sounds like Beagle is likely LTIR as well, so that's additional overage we'd have to play with.

I'd prefer we 'limp' along a bit this season at 3/4C this year. Whether that's a cheaper, short term deal for Sutter, another UFA, Miller at 3C, going with a mix of Boyd/Graovac/Jasek/Lind etc. Then target Boone Jenner next offseason as UFA when we have more cap opening.

I'd also love to see if we could target something like what Ottawa did last year and help a team like Tampa clear some cap for 'cheap' by sending them LTIR money. Something like Ferland for Palat.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin

Hoglander, Boyd/Graovac/Jasek?, Lind? (more sheltered, offensive usage line)

Highmore, Sutter?/UFA?, Motte 

MacEwan

If we can swing something like a Palat deal, you bump Pearson down.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Palat?, Horvat, Podkolzin

Pearson, Boyd/Graovac/Jasek?, Hoglander 

Highmore, Sutter?/UFA?, Motte 

The D is a lot more in flux and will depend heavily if JB can pull another Schmidt-like trade out of his pocket. If not, I could see a conservative re-up of Hamonic and (cheaper) Edler but I'm hopeful we can pull more off.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1