The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have $26.7mill and Change in cap space to work with. With 13 players signed so lets start there. Lets play a game

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

36 minutes ago, mll said:

What's your math.   They are say at 88.5M with all their excess contracts.

They make that trade - Killorn for Ferland.   88.5M - less Killorn 4.5M = 84M but they are adding Ferland at 3.5M which brings them to 87.5M.  They can only put Ferland on LTIR which does bring them to 84M but that's not cap compliant.   

Only LTIR money can exceed 81.5M.  There's no 8M of relief by swapping Ferland for Killorn. 

They're likely to push to lose McDonagh or Johnson in the ED, so minus $6.75 or $5m from that if we're spit balling here.

That equals a bit under $81m or a touch over $82. Seems those two moves would work out pretty well for them...

Edited by aGENT

This is the sort of team I would like to see next year. I think it would be competitive and much tougher to play against than the 2020-21 Canucks. But it also sets us up to take another step the following season.

I have assumed that Ferland, Beagle and Roussel are all on permanent LTIR. But if Roussel is not on LTIR, I would waive him, buy out Holtby and sign a backup goalie such as Driedger, Wedgewood, Reimer for less than $2m.

For the 2022-23 season, we would have $22.3m in cap space. Enough to resign Boeser (7.5), Paul (2.5), Motte (2.0). Replace Hamonic with a UFA such as Seth Jones (7.5). And either bring Dipietro in as backup or sign a 1 year deal with a UFA backup.

Importantly Killorn becomes UFA in 2023-24, which is when Horvat, Miller and Hoglander will need new deals.

Beagle on LTIR a.JPG

Beagle on LTIR b.JPG

Miller EP BB

TP BH NH

Podz Boyd Greenway

Motte Beagle (hopefully)  MacEwan

Highmore/Bailey or Highmore/Roussel or Highmore/Lind

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

???

Demko

???

Im guessing SEA will take one of Lind, Gadjovich or Holtby, and TBH Id be ok with trading 2/3 to be perfectly honest.  Not sure what it would take to pry Greenway out of MIN, but hes probably going to be exposed if MIN decides to protect Dumba, so the Canucks could target him if possible.  Him and MacEwan can provide that push back that young guys like Hoagie/Podz will probably be targets for.  If Bailey is healthy Id consider re-signing him.  Sturm is another guy you could target out of MIN.

I think the 3rd line C is going to be tough to acquire on a short term deal, so Im OK with bringing Boyd back.  Put two big good skaters on his wing and youve got a pretty good third line.  Focht Im really looking forward to so Im trying to keep things flexible.   Lockwood I think needs a year in the AHL just to continue getting physically stronger.  He's going to be another Motte once he gets stronger.

No idea how Im doing cap wise so feel free to crap on my ideas if they arnt feasible.  

PuckPedia has the bonus overage numbers that will count against next season's cap.  Hughes gets his full target A - it's pro-rated 56/82 for the shortened season. Höglander looks to have achieved his games played bonus.  Pettersson missed too much time to achieve his.  

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

They're likely to push to lose McDonagh or Johnson in the ED, so minus $6.75 or $5m from that if we're spit balling here.

That equals a bit under $81m or a touch over $82. Seems those two moves would work out pretty well for them...

Yeah Tyler Johnson would make perfect sense for Seattle and I am pretty sure it would be a win-win for both TBL and SEA if he is selected

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, khay said:

Fine, I'll bite.

Miller-EP-Boeser 

Pearson-Bo-Hoglander

Motte-Danault-Podkolzin

Highmore-Sutter-MacEwen/Graovan/Lind/Gadjovich (competition for 4RW spot)

Hughes-Savard (or Larsson)

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone-Myers

Demko

A back up at around 2 mil.

Re-sign EP to 7 mil x 3 years. Comparable is Barzal.

Re-sign QH to 5.5 mil x 1 (or 2) years. He has nothing to prove on the offensive end, he needs to prove that he can defend before we re-sign him to a big dollar contract.

Sign Danault to 3 or 4 years at 4 mil. He is 28 years old.

Re-sign Sutter to 2 year 2.5 mil.

Re-sign Edler to 1 year 3.5 mil.

Sign Savard 4 year 5 mil.

Sign a back up (many options) at 2 mil.

First line: 18.125.

Second line: 9.75.

Third line: 6.25.

Fourth line: 4.5.

Forwards: 38.625.

1st pairing: 10.5 mil.

2nd pairing: 9.5 mil.

3rd pairing: 7 mil.

Defence: 27 mil.

Goalies: 7 mil.

72-73 mil for roster players.

Eriksson: 4.875 mil.

Luongo: 3 mil.

Buy out cap: Holtby 500k + Virtanen about 50k = 550k.

Lost cost: 8.4 mil.

Roussel, Beagle, and Ferland on LTIR.

As tight as your roster but dollar numbers can easily be changed to fit within the cap.

Denault turned down five years at 30 million in MTL.   Your right about him being a great middle six C because that's exactly what he is...it's possible he just wants out of MTL i suppose, given what Lowry signed for yours looks realistic, but if it is just about money pretty sure he's staying in MTL.   How are we trading Holtby and if we do what is the cost?   Like it though make it so! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah Tyler Johnson would make perfect sense for Seattle and I am pretty sure it would be a win-win for both TBL and SEA if he is selected

So far are their models have Palat.   That said a lot of talk that TB will be one team trying hard to play ball for a different player as a cap dump.   Rumblings are so far the cost for a SEA ED cap dump is extremely high so doubt VAN is losing Holtby for example.    They've gone from JV to Gads so our cap isn't going to see any relief at all. 

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

The youth will play as much as they should.

Has Hughes played less because Edler is here? Like I said even if it's not Edler, we'll likely be bringing in veteran, hard minute left D (or moving Schmidt to the left). And the above will still apply.

Pretty sure that's the plan.   At this point, last season anyways, it's fair to say QHs played too many minutes, and that was a result of TG and the team falling behind and trying to play catch up - often it backfired, QHs went from -1 to -2 or -3 the games he played 24 plus minutes.    That's too much 5 x 5 minutes for him at this point although Hamonic started to reel things a little eventually.    Schmidt gets extra value given he plays both sides, allows the team to run with QHs, OJ and Rathbone at times and at other times Schmidt, QHs and OJ/Rathbone.    Elder would make a great 7th D on a cheap contract as well.   Feel they will try and add one more Schmidt level guy, or better - if that doesn't work then we won't see much changes at all other then playing the kids.  OJ is a lock at this point  - they've said as much which is promising.   Plays a safe game. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

So if I had to sum up my 'ideal' but largely 'realistic' (ie: no Cernak) summer and with the info that Beagle is apparently expected back...

Move Ferland for Killorn +, Lind + for Jenner and acquire Mayfield.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander/Podkolzin

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

If Beagle isn't going to be healthy, we need to sign a Sutter or Soderberg type.

This looks all ideal and realistic to me. Love it.

I do keep messing with the idea though that we have three legit centremen and why not let them all play at C. Then we don't have to go looking for a good 3C, but instead can fill in the wing positions and have 3 proper scoring lines. As opposed to another new version of a bottom six that just never provides enough offence.

Something like:

NewGuy Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petterrson Podkolzin

Pearson Horvat Lind/Highmore/NewGuy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Miller EP BB

TP BH NH

Podz Boyd Greenway

Motte Beagle (hopefully)  MacEwan

Highmore/Bailey or Highmore/Roussel or Highmore/Lind

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

???

Demko

???

Im guessing SEA will take one of Lind, Gadjovich or Holtby, and TBH Id be ok with trading 2/3 to be perfectly honest.  Not sure what it would take to pry Greenway out of MIN, but hes probably going to be exposed if MIN decides to protect Dumba, so the Canucks could target him if possible.  Him and MacEwan can provide that push back that young guys like Hoagie/Podz will probably be targets for.  If Bailey is healthy Id consider re-signing him.  Sturm is another guy you could target out of MIN.

I think the 3rd line C is going to be tough to acquire on a short term deal, so Im OK with bringing Boyd back.  Put two big good skaters on his wing and youve got a pretty good third line.  Focht Im really looking forward to so Im trying to keep things flexible.   Lockwood I think needs a year in the AHL just to continue getting physically stronger.  He's going to be another Motte once he gets stronger.

No idea how Im doing cap wise so feel free to crap on my ideas if they arnt feasible.  

As much as I'd like to see JG in Van, it's not going to happen.  They don't have the assets to make that happen, imo 

2 hours ago, nzan said:

This looks all ideal and realistic to me. Love it.

I do keep messing with the idea though that we have three legit centremen and why not let them all play at C. Then we don't have to go looking for a good 3C, but instead can fill in the wing positions and have 3 proper scoring lines. As opposed to another new version of a bottom six that just never provides enough offence.

Something like:

NewGuy Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petterrson Podkolzin

Pearson Horvat Lind/Highmore/NewGuy

I hear you on the offense and I think we get there eventually (though I do think Killorn, Jenner and Podkolzin/Hoglander, could score a decent amount, if a bit tilted defensively).

I also like to have the extra C depth so we can move Miller/Pettersson to the middle when a guy inevitably gets hurt.

That bottom 6 would sure free up the top 6 though. And IMO, while that's certainly a decent (and hard to play against) team, it's more about setting us up for 2+ years...

The majority of our prospect C depth has a smaller, faster, offensive-2 way tilt (Jasek, Costmar, Karlsson etc). That likely includes if we pick a C with our 1st this draft as well. Exactly the 'more scoring' kind of players everyone wants in our bottom 6. So while they're developing and after Beagle expires next season, we bring whichever guy earns that spot, up to the team to play on a fast, offensively tilted, 2 way, '4th' line. Eventually that line will develop and likely split/flip minutes with Jenner's line as his contract winds down.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Denault turned down five years at 30 million in MTL.   Your right about him being a great middle six C because that's exactly what he is...it's possible he just wants out of MTL i suppose, given what Lowry signed for yours looks realistic, but if it is just about money pretty sure he's staying in MTL.   How are we trading Holtby and if we do what is the cost?   Like it though make it so! 

Was not aware of this. I hope that was just him wanting to explore the market.

I'm just going with the OP regarding Holtby. Buyout.

• Cheers 1

My attempt...

image.thumb.png.67646bfc45f08a2fb2e8b1257eed1e27.png

optionally can sign a 1-1.3ish million dollar backup instead of having DiPietro up as a backup

Cal Foote and Reinhart traded for pre-expansion to provide a little more value to the team trading.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:19 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

I did everything you mentioned Merrill can eat PK mins. I actually see OJ, Bones and Merrill splitting games around 50-60 each unless one breaks out or there are long term injuries.

Granlund and Coleman are both 29 years old those terms I would argue are expectable as they are both getting their last big contracts this season.

no thanks  they are to old id rather give youth like gadovich lind a chance not signing 28-29 yr olds for 4 yrs thats like more crappy roussel beagle ferland contracts that hurt us  hard pass

like if we didnt have eriksson myers beagle baertchi roussel sutter benn holtby  on team last yr  wed have had 32 mill extra to go after alex pietrangelo and 2-3 other elite ufas not the garbage we signed  

4 hours ago, canuktravella said:

no thanks  they are to old id rather give youth like gadovich lind a chance not signing 28-29 yr olds for 4 yrs thats like more crappy roussel beagle ferland contracts that hurt us  hard pass

like if we didnt have eriksson myers beagle baertchi roussel sutter benn holtby  on team last yr  wed have had 32 mill extra to go after alex pietrangelo and 2-3 other elite ufas not the garbage we signed  

AP was never coming here.   Not with Vegas wanting him too.   The only way we are getting players like that - or attracting the best UFAs is if we keep with the plan.   Thankfully JB has honoured every contract, both MG and his own so far - which means these guys know where they stand if and when they do sign with us.    Curiously he voided both Miller's and Schmidt's clauses when they came here.   Also getting better about dealing with that sort of thing.   Young players need to be surrounded and insulated with vets.   Thankfully our pool still has enough left in it so we won't need to rely on expensive placeholders much longer. 

• Thanks 1