The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] NHL Draft Lottery, June 2nd @ 4 pm on Sportsnet

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Always interesting to listen closely to what Benning says.  He tends to tip his hand.

They will look at trades but they want a young player.  Makes sense. You need to acquire someone in the same age group as the core.  Otherwise just pick a guy at 9  who will join the core in a year. 

Also he says there are 9 guys we really like.  Very telling.

I think Power, Berniers Clarke Hughes Guenther McTavish Johnson Edvinsson Eklund are the 9. 

They will see what deals are available and then on draft day either take one of the 9 they like (depending on how far up the list is available) or try to swing a trade for a young impact player and lower draft pick. It's why draft day deals happen.  Teams need to see who is available at 9 both on the buyer and sellers end.

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will Benning try to pry Parayko out of St Louis? If so, what would have to accompany the 9th overall to make it worth Armstrong’s time? Maybe tell him that BC will name a city after him? And a cheese?

That would be pretty sweet:  Hughes - Parayko

to STL - #9 and Schmidt

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So, the Oilers, Devils, Sabres all abuse the lotto system over the last 12 years and now the rules are changing

since 2010, 3 teams have selected 1st overall 8 out of 12 times and have a combined 4 rounds of playoff hockey between them

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

I mean the positive outlook is welcome, but any team would be foolish not to want the lottery win. Regardless of whether you can aford them on their second contract or not, that's a valuable asset any way you look at it whether they play or you trade them.

This has the potential to be like the 2017 draft imo. Imagine if we had won that draft and drafted Nico or worse Patrick? I know that we and the Rangers had Petey ranked high but I really doubt we had him #1. Patrick is the guy Benning would have taken considering the meat and potatoes style he likes and the pressure of having the teams first-ever #1 pick.

If we keep the pick I hope one of the high ceiling but not so safe picks is still around or preferably we parlay the pick into immediate need. We have our #1 in every position and some really great core pieces, time to make a push before we inevitably start losing some of the core we have like what happened to the Jets and what the Avs are about to face.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Ok sell me on this kid, what do you know of him where us Canucks fans can get excited about just in case

Well he’s arguably the second best center in the draft so that alone boosts his stock.

Strong bloodlines, great size, a very good work ethic, and an elite shot.

• Cheers 1