The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Defense of JB and co

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Not stupid. I think you underestimate just how much he values guys like Edler and Sutter though.

I bet he doesn't. I'm sure Edler is gone and Sutter maybe as a third line winger for cheap like 2 mill or less or he is gone

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Well am saying this is a separate deal and not due to expansion draft. They can get whoever is exposed on our roster. Am saying this deal is done after expansion draft.

If you believe Ron Francis, Seatlle will not be looking to take on 0 value cap contracts for assets. He has been pretty clear what his thoughts are on that. Seattle is going to accumulate picks and prospects taking on serviceable players and to not select certain ones. Then they are going to use those extra assets to try to take on good players on teams that still have cap problems.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not stupid. I think you underestimate just how much he values guys like Edler and Sutter though.

Edler and sutter res signing means Canucks will be quiet in FA and trades with lack of cap space and roster space. Might as well just call next season a write off if Benning does that. You probably think he will re-sign Roussel, Beagle and Ericksson next year too. Benning has 2 years to make playoffs, thats a fact. So he better do something or he is out sooner than 2 years.

I hope he doesn't. But will not at all be surprised to see a Sutter 3x3 or Edler 2x4 deal tbh.

you are not worth anymore time I will not be responding back to you. You are clearly either trolling or have no clue either way I'm done with you

• Cheers 1

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Edler and sutter res signing means Canucks will be quiet in FA and trades with lack of cap space and roster space. Might as well just call next season a write off if Benning does that. You probably think he will re-sign Roussel, Beagle and Ericksson next year too. Benning has 2 years to make playoffs, thats a fact. So he better do something or he is out sooner than 2 years.

He probably won't sign both. But I expect one. I dont think he will re-sign any of those other 3 next year. I do have some concerns he will replace them with similar guys though.

Why are we being compared to Colorado?

The Avs were in the decline while we were dominant

Since 2009 the Avs have picked in the top 5 five times.  With a 1st 2nd 3rd and two 4th overall picks to show for it.  They've also had a few drafts where they managed to pick twice in the top 15 in that time.  Numerous times they've amanged to obtain multiple picks in the first 3 rounds and rarely had no 1st round pick.

VS the Nucks 

Since 2009 the Canucks have drafted in the 5 spot twice and never higher.  6 of our picks were top 10, but two of those drafts we had no 1st round picks at all, with an additional 4 of those picks being lower than 20th.

The Avs ARE the current dream, no love lost to the masterful cap management of the Bolts; who also drafted in the top 3 a few times and struck gold.

The Canucks would need serious draft luck to get the game breaking players the Avs did in Raantanen, Makar, Mackinnon.  They also don't have an O'Reilly and Duchene to kick around either.

The Avs are a dream model, but we cannot be compared to them through or via drafting because we never had that luck

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

Again, hope I am wrong. But he has a really bad history with UFA contracts for guys he overrates.

this is my last post to you if you are right I will be leaving this forum and joining  a new fan base. There are other teams I enjoy watching. If you are right I will apologize to you.

However i do think you are either trolling or have no clue 

You clearly do not put things in context. A lot of this fan base doesn't under stand context. This is what the OP was meant to do put thinks in context of things that actually happen not how other have spun it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why are we being compared to Colorado?

The Avs were in the decline while we were dominant

Since 2009 the Avs have picked in the top 5 five times.  With a 1st 2nd 3rd and two 4th overall picks to show for it.  They've also had a few drafts where they managed to pick twice in the top 15 in that time.  Numerous times they've amanged to obtain multiple picks in the first 3 rounds and rarely had no 1st round pick.

VS the Nucks 

Since 2009 the Canucks have drafted in the 5 spot twice and never higher.  6 of our picks were top 10, but two of those drafts we had no 1st round picks at all, with an additional 4 of those picks being lower than 20th.

The Avs ARE the current dream, no love lost to the masterful cap management of the Bolts; who also drafted in the top 3 a few times and struck gold.

The Canucks would need serious draft luck to get the game breaking players the Avs did in Raantanen, Makar, Mackinnon.  They also don't have an O'Reilly and Duchene to kick around either.

The Avs are a dream model, but we cannot be compared to them through or via drafting because we never had that luck

I started a post comparing Van to Col but people took it out of context and thought I was comparing rebuild but really I was compare types of players and concluded that we where just a few years younger than Col but the players where similar.

Some how it migrated into this thread.

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

this is my last post to you if you are right I will be leaving this forum and joining  a new fan base. There are other teams I enjoy watching. If you are right I will apologize to you.

However i do think you are either trolling or have no clue 

You clearly do not put things in context. A lot of this fan base doesn't under stand context. This is what the OP was meant to do put thinks in context of things that actually happen not how other have spun it.

The best indicator of future performance is past performance........until someone shows you otherwise.

No one is hoping Benning has learned more than me I assure you.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

54 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Hamhuis NTC was there and gave JB a short list with a few days before trade deadline 

Sven was a good signing bad outcome 

Sutter even with out a NMC not going to get much

Pearson was re-signed not an asset lose

The rest get you maybe low round draft picks 3,4,5,6 rounders 

So what do you think the Canucks lost in those draft picks.

Most players drafted in those rounds don't make teams full time.

Yes there are exceptions but you are betting on very long odds.

Sure, but I'll take long odds over no odds. 

I think what LA did before 2010 was textbook. A lot of picks and a lot of grindy picks in later rounds.

Those 3rd and 4th round picks can be dealt when it matters.

Edited by Chris12345

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Sure, but I'll take long odds over no odds. 

I think what LA did before 2010 was textbook. A lot of picks and a lot of grindy picks in later rounds.

Those 3rd and 4th round picks can be dealt when it matters.

But do you consider JB a bad GM because he might have missed out on a long odds move.

Really what I am asking is does those trades or non trades in this case really matter to merit the criticism that JB gets  

8 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

But do you consider JB a bad GM because he might have missed out on a long odds move.

Really what I am asking is does those trades or non trades in this case really matter to merit the criticism that JB gets  

I don't think he's bad. I think he should have been a more aggressive seller considering one of his best assets is drafting and the Canucks have had 0 chance of going deep since 2013?

I think one should sell almost every year as the odds are stacked against winning and eventually a team will be loaded.

I believe his signings and some of his strategy doesn't align with my view. My view is worth zero, hence us chating over the internet.

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't think he's bad. I think he should have been a more aggressive seller considering one of his best assets is drafting and the Canucks have had 0 chance of going deep since 2013?

I think one should sell almost every year as the odds are stacked against winning and eventually a team will be loaded.

I believe his signings and some of his strategy doesn't align with my view. My view is worth zero, hence us chating over the internet.

Sell what the fringe players that you named. No one was buying.