The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Why the Canucks should offer Adam Larsson $6,000,000 per season for 5 years

54 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think they need edler's money to pay quinn's new cap hit.

We burnt a year of QH deal early by him coming to play a handful of games out of College, he has no Arb rights this off season. So time for the GM to play hardball with QH to a degree and send him this 1 contract offer, the same one made to Sergachev in TB, 4yr 4.9m per. Sign it and help the team out now while still being able to cash in long term in your mid 20s.

I keep saying it all over this forum, if you can get your young players to buy in to the TB model, we CAN and WILL be a competitive team for years to come and hopefully that brings us a Stanley Cup to the Canucks organization and fan base as it is much overdue and we will all have a blast celebrating that victory!!!

Make me GM already Aquaman!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

maybe a guy like bortuzzo for under 2 mil for 2 years. very tough defensive defenseman. hopefully by then woo is ready to come up.

exactly Joe, its important for us not to go too long term right now on guys outside of our core. 

• Vintage 1

I think it would be enough with 4 x 5.5m for Larsson to consider Vancouver. I would definitely do that if we can afford it, but if it takes more term or money it isn't worth it.

I believe Larsson would be an ideal partner for QH, and he also fills a clear need as a physical RD that can play all situations.

I think over time OJ and Rathbone will make Schmidt redundant, so trading Schmidt (guess he needs to regain some value first though...) for a top 6 forward or 3C would be ideal.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

We burnt a year of QH deal early by him coming to play a handful of games out of College, he has no Arb rights this off season. So time for the GM to play hardball with QH to a degree and send him this 1 contract offer, the same one made to Sergachev in TB, 4yr 4.9m per. Sign it and help the team out now while still being able to cash in long term in your mid 20s.

I keep saying it all over this forum, if you can get your young players to buy in to the TB model, we CAN and WILL be a competitive team for years to come and hopefully that brings us a Stanley Cup to the Canucks organization and fan base as it is much overdue and we will all have a blast celebrating that victory!!!

You hit the nail on the head.

Post 2009, “show me a team that hands out ‘Stanley Cup winning’ 8 year contracts/cap hits to players immediately following an ELC, and I’ll show you a team that will be destined for mediocrity and below for a time.”   

..........or, sign Jani Hakanpaa for $1MM/$1.5MM (2020/2021 salary was $750k).  Stay at home RHD, and in 57 games had 35 pim, 215 hits, 83 blocks.  You wont get much offense (2g, 2a) but was +4, and 42 of those 57 games were with a very poor Anaheim Ducks team (the other 15 with a very good Carolina team).  He's 29 y.o., has size at 6'5"" and 218 lbs.  Good steady D with reach and HITS.  Worth a try on a 2 or 3 year deal.

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

uggg are u serious fracking benning what a moron 

It's a full NTC for the 1st season.  M-NTC (7 teams no trade list) on the 2md season.  So not entirely bad.

We really don't need to worry about Edmonton matching for a UFA. If Larsson wants to play in Vancouver he will do so for whatever the dollars and term.

Edited by GarthButcher5

17 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Easy to get "buy-in" from TB a players considering their net pay is the same as deal 10-15% higher then most other NHL teams.     Stamkos did stay and take a big discount.   The rest?  Well not really.   Even Kucherov didn't.   Not when you look at what their cap hit would be to earn the same net income in all places but Vegas, Miami, soon to be Seattle and almost Dallas.      Add to the fact they are icing close to 100 million roster this year in the playoffs... i hope Vegas waxes them.    I do agree with QHs at 5 because that's all he's really earned.   Same deal as Werenksi got, McAvoy - flat cap and all.  

But i wouldn't say Larson is worth 6 million.   Or better then Myers on this team either.   He's not even better then Tanev.  

18 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yes but the TB model has no tax and they live on the beach.

• Cheers 1

On 6/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

You may not recall, but Luke Schenn was an excellent "ying" to Hughes' "yang". 

There is a guy who is just as good to play that role at $3.0M cap hit and his name is Travis Hamonic.  Adam Larsson is not a $6.0M over five years type d-man.

Hughes had a tough season, but he's going to be the guy carrying the mail for many years to come.  He won't need a babysitter at $6.0M cap hit for the next five years.

Hamonic at 3 years x $3.0M cap hit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Larsson at 5 years x $6.0M

I am a big fan of Hamonic being retained but is he who we want on our top pairing? Larsson is a guy that I think is an ideal target to play with Quinn but not at 6 million. In reality if the oilers are offering 4ish we should get him for cheaper lol. Vancouver, surrounded by Swedes, or perhaps the most depressing place I've ever lived in and I was born in Winnipeg. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, canuktravella said:

uggg are u serious fracking benning what a moron 

How does that make him a moron? Obviously he doesn't want to trade him if he just re-signed him and we already know he is a good fit on this team and is well-liked in the room. A NTC is the tradeoff for a lower Avv. The deal was a win for both sides unless you believe the same morons who told us last month that Clarky was 100% not coming back among tons of other dumb takes.

35 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I am a big fan of Hamonic being retained but is he who we want on our top pairing? Larsson is a guy that I think is an ideal target to play with Quinn but not at 6 million. In reality if the oilers are offering 4ish we should get him for cheaper lol. Vancouver, surrounded by Swedes, or perhaps the most depressing place I've ever lived in and I was born in Winnipeg. 

I would be all over having Larsson on the Canucks roster if he was willing to sign for $4M per season...maybe as high as $4.5M.  I believe this past season was one of the sophomore jinx variety for Quinn Hughes and he's going to re-emerge as a leading Norris candidate as early as next season, with or without a partner like Hamonic and/or Larsson. 

I hear what you're saying about Winnipeg.  I grew up in Fort Richmond on the shores of the Red River sandbagging my ass off every 2-3 years and went to University of Manitoba...bars (Strawberries, Scandals, Marble Club, Fridays, etc.), Friday/Saturday night socials, Grand Beach, Falcon Lake, Lake of the Woods, and Oktoberfest were awesome, but the best thing about being from Winnipeg was leaving, which I did in 1989.  I grew up smelling like a can of Off/Muskol mosquito spray for four months of the year.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, singing chef said:

..........or, sign Jani Hakanpaa for $1MM/$1.5MM (2020/2021 salary was $750k).  Stay at home RHD, and in 57 games had 35 pim, 215 hits, 83 blocks.  You wont get much offense (2g, 2a) but was +4, and 42 of those 57 games were with a very poor Anaheim Ducks team (the other 15 with a very good Carolina team).  He's 29 y.o., has size at 6'5"" and 218 lbs.  Good steady D with reach and HITS.  Worth a try on a 2 or 3 year deal.

On board with that