The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive trends in the league, and the Canucks plan

Rate this topic

D.B Cooper

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

IMO, Hughes needs a big mobile Dman, who has elite skills of his own, so that he can beat the first wave, then pass it off to Hughes.

The problem is that Hughes can not take the first wave, so when he is the first back, they are throwing it in his corner, he has to move it extremely quick to the other side toprvent the pressure, then when the puck comes back, he does not have the same pressure.

A big Dman without good skills, will not help, can't get back, and can't move the puck out himself, if that makes sense,, so Quinn needs to play with talent, IMHO

Sounds like Myers should play with Quinn.  Big, skilled, and can play lots of minutes. 

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

IMO, Hughes needs a big mobile Dman, who has elite skills of his own, so that he can beat the first wave, then pass it off to Hughes.

The problem is that Hughes can not take the first wave, so when he is the first back, they are throwing it in his corner, he has to move it extremely quick to the other side toprvent the pressure, then when the puck comes back, he does not have the same pressure.

A big Dman without good skills, will not help, can't get back, and can't move the puck out himself, if that makes sense,, so Quinn needs to play with talent, IMHO

Agreed. We need a 'Seabrook' or 'Suter' type.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Stayin' outa' this one.

A yr ago I suggested selling QH(very highhh) to the Devs. Got crapped on a bit.

Kid is a skating prodigy. But you gotta' payyy that, & the PO's you can get screwed with a new rulebook.

I'd do Hughes for Dahlin but I know alot of people on here wouldn't.  He had 44 points as an 18 year old.  Better than Hedman and Ekblad.  Hedman never even hit 40 points until he was 24.

Dahlin had a bad year this year but he's playing on Buffalo and the whole team sucked.  He could be the same size as Ohlund in a couple of years and still has huge upside as he is still a year younger than Hughes.  I predict he will win the Norris Trophy in the next 5 years.  Maybe even before Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Myers should play with Quinn.  Big, skilled, and can play lots of minutes. 

Myers is a good warrior Alf, but I am not sure he is really high enough to help Hughes be an elite 2 way......if that makes sense?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You may be right. I've always leaned towards a big blueline..but these decisions are beyond my humble armchair-paygrade.

I want a good blueline.

A good blueline will have some size in it, for sure. But it needs skill too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do Hughes for Dahlin but I know alot of people on here wouldn't.  He had 44 points as an 18 year old.  Better than Hedman and Ekblad.  Hedman never even hit 40 points until he was 24.

Dahlin had a bad year this year but he's playing on Buffalo and the whole team sucked.  He could be the same size as Ohlund in a couple of years and still has huge upside as he is still a year younger than Hughes.  I predict he will win the Norris Trophy in the next 5 years.  Maybe even before Hughes.

Yeah, I mean there's bigger guys I'd consider moving him for...  Dahlin, McAvoy, Provorov etc. But none of those teams are looking to make that swap either.

Just now, aGENT said:

Agreed. We need a 'Seabrook' or 'Suter' type.

We might have the guy already in Jet Woo.  He was Bone’s partner in Utica and was very good in that role.  He’s a young guy, and already plays at 210 pounds.  He’s super smart too.  He’s a year away from our bottom pair though.  I think we just build from within, and play either Myers, Schmidt, or Hamonic with Quinn for now.  Can’t sell the farm to get a guy right now.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

But here is the 6.5 Million dollar question...................

Can Quinn Hughes play even strength hockey as well on RHD as LHD

Not talking about PP, just even strength, because that changes things if he is as good

I know what he says.....but what is the reality?

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Dahlin too.  Don’t know if I’d give up Hughes for him though.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We might have the guy already in Jet Woo.  He was Bone’s partner in Utica and was very good in that role.  He’s a young guy, and already plays at 210 pounds.  He’s super smart too.  He’s a year away from our bottom pair though.  I think we just build from within, and play either Myers, Schmidt, or Hamonic with Quinn for now.  Can’t sell the farm to get a guy right now.  

I don't think Woo has that ceiling in him. I see him becoming a solid #4-#5 D. We don't currently have that guy in our system.

There's some interesting potential UFA's in 2022. Or we may yet draft that guy... But otherwise, we're likely looking at a trade at some point IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I mean there's bigger guys I'd consider moving him for...  Dahlin, McAvoy, Provorov etc. But none of those teams are looking to make that swap either.

No I don't think Buffalo or Philly make that deal.  However, Boston does that deal any day of the week.  They would pair Hughes with Carlo.  Would be a great top pairing.  I've proposed getting Carlo to Vancouver many times to pair with Hughes.

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

But here is the 6.5 Million dollar question...................

Can Quinn Hughes play even strength hockey as well on RHD as LHD

Not talking about PP, just even strength, because that changes things if he is as good

I know what he says.....but what is the reality?

No.  He's a liability on his strong side, I can only imagine how worse he would be playing the right side as a left shot.  It would confuse the heck out of him.  It changes the whole dynamic of defending when you are on your off side.  Schmidt can do it effectively but he's been playing primarily on the right side for awhile now.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No.  He's a liability on his strong side, I can only imagine how worse he would be playing the right side as a left shot.  It would confuse the heck out of him.  It changes the whole dynamic of defending when you are on your off side.  Schmidt can do it effectively but he's been playing primarily on the right side for awhile now.

Well, I got to tell you, I would try it first before I did anything rash.....not that that is not rash :picard:

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would very likely do that trade too tbh

• Upvote 1