The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Post your two year Canuck plan - how would YOU do things?

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Post your two year Canuck plan - how would YOU do things?

I’ve posted my two year plan in some other threads but am interested in seeing your plan as well, just to see how my plan differs from yours.  

Here is more or less what I’d try and do if I was Benning:

1) Draft Dylan Guenther (http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/).  According to this site, Guenther might be around our range and so I think we’d have a shot at knabbing him.

2) Buyout Virtanen or let mother legal nature take its course.  So, either 2.5 or 2.55 million off the books.

3) Bye to Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, and Hamonic.

4) Sign Adam Larsson

5) Sign Mikael Granlund

6) Use a 2nd rounder as a sweetener to move one of Beagle or Roussel + use a 3rd and a minor prospect to move one of Beagle or Roussel.  In return, we get two 7th rounders (I’m going to assume two things here - A) Beagle will not be LTIR’d + B-) Eriksson is unmovable barring a ridiculous sweetener.....which is something that I’d not be willing to use)

7) Petey and Hughes signed to bridge deals so that all of the above can take place

8) Bring back Oscar Fantenberg for one year

2021-2022 (projection = 8th seeded playoff team + 1st round loss).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Eriksson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore 

MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt (if Rathbone isn’t ready, move Myers up to play with NS; NS moves to LD)

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone and Fantenberg if Rathbone isn’t ready for 2nd pairing duty)

Fantenberg (or Juolevi)

Demko

Holtby

Summer of 2022 off-season

-Bye to Eriksson

-Buy to Holtby; replaced by Dipietro

-Luongo cap penalty = off the books

-Guenther enters the line-up

-Canucks sign Hampus Lindholm

2022-2023 roster (projection - 2nd round team and possibly beyond).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Guenther

Pearson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore

MacEwen

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi (possible OJ trade for help or a back up goalie if Dipietro isn’t ready)

Demko

Dipietro

1. Fire myself.

2.Move Miller to center, creating a trio of Petey, Horvat, and Miller.

3. Draft, at least, two of Mason McTavish, Sasha Pastujov, Logan Mailloux, and Roman Schmidt.

4.  Sign Petey.

5.  Deal Quinn Hughes.

6.  Play out bad contracts and let them expire. No buyouts.

7. Prepare for big signing next offseason (Nurse, Jones, etc.).

8. Take advantage of expansion draft (ie. Matt Dumba for a second round pick).

9. Sign a gap winger for a couple seasons, allowing new recruits to develop (Paul Stastny, Valteri Filpula).

Hey guys,

Some great thoughts!  I’ve enjoyed reading all of your thoughts.  Will comment more a little later but here’s a few preliminary thoughts with regards to certain players that were mentioned multiple times:

1) Holtby - although buying out Holtby is tempting, I would be careful with this. Good back up goalies won’t be that much cheaper than Holtby, and I don’t think Dipietro is quite ready yet.

2) Hamonic - my only issues with Hamonic is that he’s not the type of guy that you want taking on the toughest match ups as a top pairing guy.  Hamonic is a great 2nd pairing option but asking for anything beyond that and you’re looking for trouble.  Hamonic’s style of game also doesn’t typically age well and so the Canucks would have to be careful with the term they offer.  That’s why I prefer Larsson.....he’d be more of a long term piece for us and can also handle top pairing assignments.

3) McIlrarth.  I like this idea a lot and wouldn’t mind bringing him in as our 7th dman.  He would definitely stick up for our guys.

4) Eriksson - Eriksson is an overpaid bum but if it’s impossible to move him, then I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the line-up as he’s still a very good defensive player.  He looked pretty good alongside Horvat and Pearson in 19-20 and that line did a great job of shutting down other lines.   

-Buyout Holtby, Virtanen- Opens up 6.3 this year, costs 1.9 next year.  Not a fan of Buyouts, but these make too much sense.

-Ferland and Beagle are LTIR gives us 6.5 in flex

-Hughes/EP 3x7 deals

-Sign Sutter 2 x1, Edler 1x1

-Trade Schmidt for mid 2nd, B prospect

We go into the offseason with 11 million in space, and 6.5 in LTIR

-Draft Kent Johnson at 9, Roman Schmidt,  Logan Mailloux in the 2nd.  High talent winger, 2 big RHD.

With this we have 11.5 in cap

-Trade #9 and Rousel for Reinhart, costs us 2.2 in cap

-Sign Olelsiak 2x3, Ian Cole 2x4, Hamonic 2x2

-Back up- Smith, Halak, Elliott at 1.5 

-Sign Hoffman 3x4

This maxes out our cap and LTIR.  EP stays on LTIR until opening day to stay compliant.

Miller-EP-BB

Hoglander-Bo-Hoffman

Pearson-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Highmore-Sutter-Motte

Lind/Gadjovic

Hughes-Hamonic

Oleksiak-Myers

Edler-Cole

Rathbone/Joulevi (Edler, Rathbone, Juolevi spread games out.  Injuries will happen for sure)

Demko

Elliott

I feel this lineup is good enough to win with.  How far it goes depends on how good our young guys develop.  We would be loaded with big strong D prospects as well-Jurmo, Woo, Shmidt, Mailloux.  Forward pool would be lean, with Johnson being the only high end piece, but with that young top 9 core, we would still be OK.

Following year is just tweaks.  Luongos deal expires, which covers BB's raise and the buyouts.  Rathbone slides into Edlers spot, DiPietro in the backup role, Johnson into Sutters 4c role.

Many cups to follow...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

-Buyout Holtby, Virtanen- Opens up 6.3 this year, costs 1.9 next year.  Not a fan of Buyouts, but these make too much sense.

-Ferland and Beagle are LTIR gives us 6.5 in flex

-Hughes/EP 3x7 deals

-Sign Sutter 2 x1, Edler 1x1

-Trade Schmidt for mid 2nd, B prospect

We go into the offseason with 11 million in space, and 6.5 in LTIR

-Draft Kent Johnson at 9, Roman Schmidt,  Logan Mailloux in the 2nd.  High talent winger, 2 big RHD.

With this we have 11.5 in cap

-Trade #9 and Rousel for Reinhart, costs us 2.2 in cap

-Sign Olelsiak 2x3, Ian Cole 2x4, Hamonic 2x2

-Back up- Smith, Halak, Elliott at 1.5 

-Sign Hoffman 3x4

This maxes out our cap and LTIR.  EP stays on LTIR until opening day to stay compliant.

Miller-EP-BB

Hoglander-Bo-Hoffman

Pearson-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Highmore-Sutter-Motte

Lind/Gadjovic

Hughes-Hamonic

Oleksiak-Myers

Edler-Cole

Rathbone/Joulevi (Edler, Rathbone, Juolevi spread games out.  Injuries will happen for sure)

Demko

Elliott

I feel this lineup is good enough to win with.  How far it goes depends on how good our young guys develop.  We would be loaded with big strong D prospects as well-Jurmo, Woo, Shmidt, Mailloux.  Forward pool would be lean, with Johnson being the only high end piece, but with that young top 9 core, we would still be OK.

Following year is just tweaks.  Luongos deal expires, which covers BB's raise and the buyouts.  Rathbone slides into Edlers spot, DiPietro in the backup role, Johnson into Sutters 4c role.

Many cups to follow...

I’m not entirely sold on that blueline but those are some great ideas!   Very well thought out.  

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not entirely sold on that blueline but those are some great ideas!   Very well thought out.  

-Oleksiak is a giant and hits a ton.  Excellent defensively, minimal offense.  I think he would compliment Myers well, allowing him to play a more offensive role.  Him and Myers would be pretty intimidating.

-I went with Cole as he is a big LHD who plays both sides. Not super physical, but solid defensively and blocks a ton of shots.  Next year I think he could shelter Rathbone.  His D metrics are outstanding, but not a huge minute guy.

-Hamonic was a good fit with Hughes.  Blocks shots, plays physical, and put up more points than I thought he would.

Really tried to balance an offensive dynamic D with a defensive one.  Went for shorter UFA deals, as I think our D pipeline would be pretty solid.

• Cheers 1

Wasn't tryin' to be a smartazz way back there, PB. Just skeptical we can plan so far ahead('dem endless variables).

However in general, I'd prefer the team NOT pay prices to rush things. Keep drafting/developing as they have, & inserting lots of youth, when poss

It's easy to be optimistic looking at our cast, if one projects with 'long-game' in mind.

However, if JB keeps shutting down overtures from other GM's(claiming we're patiently going with youth), you'd have to believe some irresistible offer will eventually arrive. So the rule is somewhat conditional, provided risk is minimized & likely reward optimized.

• Cheers 1

I would play the kids, develop the next 2 years till we have cap flexibility. Probably draft high again in 2022 and maybe in 2023 but I expect by then the kids could improve significantly. 

I’d probably trade Miller at some point. Probably not right away. I reckon he’d net a lot at TD and especially at his cap hit. 

Essentially bite the bullet and don’t trade future assets for cap relief. Instead keep the picks/prospects and continue to build up the core for another 1-2 years. After that then use the cap to surround our core with an excellent supporting cast.

We’d have most of our core aged 20-26 (minus Horvat who’d be 28) which potentially create a large window to compete for the cup. 

JB isn’t gonna do this though. 

• Like 1

21/22

1. Resign all the RFAs (Hughes & Alien get 3x6.5-7) .

2 Resign Hamonic to 2x2, Edler to 1x1.5, and Sutter to 2x1.5 - their deals come with NMCs so they take less money.

3. Draft BPA at #9 OA or trade drown for another 2nd - hopefully the BPA will be a C or D

4. Hopefully can get a big RHD with the 2nd & 3rd Rd picks.

5. Loui gets buried in the minors and Ferland & Beagle go on LTIR.

6. Start negotiations with Brock & Motte on an extensions. Brock a 7x7.

7. If Motte won't sign an extension trade him at the deadline.

8. Trade Miller at the trade deadline for 2 1sts and a 2nd plus maybe a D prospect, retain money to get the most out of the deal.

9. Ask Holtby & Rousell to waive their M-NTCs.

10. Call up Woo and DiPietro to get them some games.

11. Let Jake's legal stuff play out before making a decision.

22/23

1. Target these D in UFA; Pulock, Parayko, Klingberg, C. Miller, and Jones.

2. Target these C in UFA; Jenner, Couturier, and Strome.

3. Draft a F & D with the 2 1sts.

4. Start work on a Bo extension.

5. Let Hamonic, Sutter, and Edler walk.

56 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would play the kids, develop the next 2 years till we have cap flexibility. Probably draft high again in 2022 and maybe in 2023 but I expect by then the kids could improve significantly. 

I’d probably trade Miller at some point. Probably not right away. I reckon he’d net a lot at TD and especially at his cap hit. 

Essentially bite the bullet and don’t trade future assets for cap relief. Instead keep the picks/prospects and continue to build up the core for another 1-2 years. After that then use the cap to surround our core with an excellent supporting cast.

We’d have most of our core aged 20-26 (minus Horvat who’d be 28) which potentially create a large window to compete for the cup. 

JB isn’t gonna do this though. 

If Tatar gets a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd I'd hate to see what Miller gets.

I'd trade Miller this trade deadline and retain half of his salary for the 22/23 season to maximize his trade value.

GMJB needs to be bold and play to his strength which is drafting. Good drafting the next 2 years could allow the team to deal Boeser when he's a RFA for a top D as an example.

YEAR 1

I think there is an opportunity to do 3 main things this off season:

1.      Sign Q Hughes to a 5-year contract at $7m AAV (still an RFA at end of this)

2.      Target Sam Reinhart in a trade with BUF

3.      Fix up the right side of our defense through a trade with NYI and a UFA signing

It will require a few painful moves and some buy outs, and our roster won’t be THAT good next season, especially our bottom 6:

Year 1a.JPG

Year 1b.JPG

• Cheers 1

YEAR 2

But in 2022 this is when things start to turn around. We have fixed our defense corps in 2021 and now we have the cap space to resign key players plus add some excellent depth at forward. Here is the roster for 2022-23:

Year 2.JPG

• Cheers 1

Just spitballing...

1.  Get SEA to take LE (lose assets OJ + Gadjovich + 2nd 2021...maybe add more?).

2. Sign EP + QH to bridge contracts ($6M x 3yr).

3. Sign RNH for $5.75 × 5yr.  Hope he takes a discount to come home.

4. Trade 1st 2021 + Lind + Roussel + 2nd 2022 to CBJ for Jones

5. Sign Saad for $5.25 x 5yr.  Heard COL is in money troubles.  So slight raise in flat cap world might entice him to come to Vancouver. 

6. Sign Sutter for $1M x 3yr

7. Sign Hamonic for $2M x 3yr

8. Buyout Holtby + Virtanen.

Team

RNH (5.75) EP (6) BB (5.875)

Pearson (3.25) Bo (5.5) Podz (0.950)

Saad (5.25) Miller (5.25) Hogz (0.89)

Motte (1.25) Sutter (1) MacEwan (0.825)

Total = 41.79

QH (6) Jones (5.4)

Schmidt (5.95) Hamonic (2)

Rathbone (0.925) Meyers (6)

Total = 26.275

Demko (5)

DiPietro (0.81)

Total = 5.81

Probably need to increase $$ for RNH and Saad but whatever. Still some money left to have depth players and the Luongo recapture penalty.  But this would kill our prospect pool/depth.

Meh.  I know.  Wishful thinking. 

:P

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, AC Readership said:

21/22

1. Resign all the RFAs (Hughes & Alien get 3x6.5-7) .

2 Resign Hamonic to 2x2, Edler to 1x1.5, and Sutter to 2x1.5 - their deals come with NMCs so they take less money.

3. Draft BPA at #9 OA or trade drown for another 2nd - hopefully the BPA will be a C or D

4. Hopefully can get a big RHD with the 2nd & 3rd Rd picks.

5. Loui gets buried in the minors and Ferland & Beagle go on LTIR.

6. Start negotiations with Brock & Motte on an extensions. Brock a 7x7.

7. If Motte won't sign an extension trade him at the deadline.

8. Trade Miller at the trade deadline for 2 1sts and a 2nd plus maybe a D prospect, retain money to get the most out of the deal.

9. Ask Holtby & Rousell to waive their M-NTCs.

10. Call up Woo and DiPietro to get them some games.

11. Let Jake's legal stuff play out before making a decision.

22/23

1. Target these D in UFA; Pulock, Parayko, Klingberg, C. Miller, and Jones.

2. Target these C in UFA; Jenner, Couturier, and Strome.

3. Draft a F & D with the 2 1sts.

4. Start work on a Bo extension.

5. Let Hamonic, Sutter, and Edler walk.

In what world is JT Miller worth 2 1sts, a 2nd and a prospect? Lol 

Edited by qwijibo

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

In what world is JT Miller worth 2 1sts, a 2nd and a prospect? Lol 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-miller

Tatar got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, Miller is way more valuable due to his versatility. Said possibly possibly a prospect. Should've been 2nd/prospect. :lol:

Miller has 2 more years left at $5.25M, he wouldn't be a rental. His remaining 21/22 cap salary at the trade deadline would be retained and 50% of his 22/23 salary would be retained.

21/22: $1.3M estimated

22/23: $2.625M

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-miller

Tatar got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, Miller is way more valuable due to his versatility. Said possibly possibly a prospect. Should've been 2nd/prospect. :lol:

Miller has 2 more years left at $5.25M, he wouldn't be a rental. His remaining 21/22 cap salary at the trade deadline would be retained and 50% of his 22/23 salary would be retained.

21/22: $1.3M estimated

22/23: $2.625M

When Tatar was traded he was pretty much a 25 goal 45 point guy. Except for one outlier season Miller is a 20 goal 45-50 point guy.  He’s really not “way more valuable”. Beyond that, name me a player that returned 2 firsts and a 2nd. I honestly can’t think of one other than a young Phil Kessel back in 2009. That was a huge mistake of a trade but even then Kessel had just come off a 38 goal season. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

When Tatar was traded he was pretty much a 25 goal 45 point guy. Except for one outlier season Miller is a 20 goal 45-50 point guy.  He’s really not “way more valuable”. Beyond that, name me a player that returned 2 firsts and a 2nd. I honestly can’t think of one other than a young Phil Kessel back in 2009. That was a huge mistake of a trade but even then Kessel had just come off a 38 goal season. 

your Habs colours are showing. There isn't a GM in the league that would take Tatar over Miller. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

your Habs colours are showing. There isn't a GM in the league that would take Tatar over Miller. 

But is there one that would give 2 1st’s a 2nd and a prospect for Miller?  I didn’t make the Tatar comparison. I just said there’s no way that’s the kind of return Miller pulls 

Just now, qwijibo said:

But is there one that would give 2 1st’s a 2nd and a prospect for Miller?  I didn’t make the Tatar comparison. I just said there’s no way that’s the kind of return Miller pulls 

thats true, it just means Bergevin way over paid for Tatar. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, it just means Bergevin way over paid for Tatar. 

Your Montreal hate is showing. Bergevin didn’t pay that for Tatar. Vegas paid a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd to Detroit.  Tatar was a throw-in with the Pacioretty trade from Montreal 

Edited by qwijibo

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Your Montreal hate is showing. Bergevin didn’t pay that for Tatar. Vegas paid a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd to Detroit.  Tatar was a throw-in with the Pacioretty trade from Montreal 

true :lol: And good point. 

I do dislike Montreal a lot. 

• Haha 1