The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I still think if Miller moves to C, then Petey is moving to LW

I concur that's probably what will happen. Or at least they'll continue to be somewhat inter-changeable

And we'll probably find a ho-hum 3C to lead another under-productive 3rd line.

And that will be fine, because our top two lines are finally really rounding into form.

It just seems like we're so close to being able to have 3 great-ish lines rather than 2 great ones.

And the difference between those two seems so small if Benning would point things that way.

I'm sure it wouldn't happen, but it would be exciting if it did.

If we get a 3c, I'd try Pettersson - Horvat - Hoglander as a first line unit. 

If we are going to compete, we need a first line that can play a 2 way game and in any situation.  Miller-Petey-Boeser get eaten up 5 on 5 and if thats our top line moving forward we arent going to be contending for anything.    

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Simmonds just re-signed for under a million (2 years). Maybe they bring back Sutter with a similar deal? (4th line and PK only) I wouldn't mind seeing the 3Cs as:

Pettersson

Miller

Horvat

Surround them with wingers: Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pearson and Motte, and sign a good UFA winger for Petey and Boeser.  Maybe Jaden Schwartz? 

Schwartz - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Miller - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Motte

Schwartz would be awesome.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

If we get a 3c, I'd try Pettersson - Horvat - Hoglander as a first line unit. 

If we are going to compete, we need a first line that can play a 2 way game and in any situation.  Miller-Petey-Boeser get eaten up 5 on 5 and if thats our top line moving forward we arent going to be contending for anything.    

I could entertain this but I think we'd see:

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser

Hoglander, Miller, Podkolzin

Pearson, ????, Lind?/Lockwood?/UFA?

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I could entertain this but I think we'd see:

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser

Hoglander, Miller, Podkolzin

Pearson, ????, Lind?/Lockwood?/UFA?

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

plz... i don't want to see one more year of motte with beags. Hasn't he learned his lesson?

On 6/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, Fanuck said:

I'm on record as a JB supporter, but I'll say it - talk is cheap JB - a large part of this fan-base wants meaningful action and tangible improvements to the roster and the product on the ice.  Yes, the COVID season was a disaster and I'll be the first person to give everyone a pass on that season, but you're statement that "you will do what is necessary to make changes" is something we've heard before. 

Well he did last season and there are still threads about it.   Took the hard but the right route.   Sure it wasn't perfect, but it paved the road for when cap comes off the books, kept his pool intact and all for the eye to the future.   Better then the two previous ones anyways.  

On 6/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

they seem to be a bit of a dying breed though don't they? 

Yes.   Funny thing watching Edler crossckecking backs more then any other D except maybe Myers to clear a crease when 20 years ago he'd be the least noticeable of the bunch. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

If he's healthy, he's our 4c for one one more year. Sorry.

If Beagle is healthy, there's nothing wrong with him getting 8-10 mins in a specialized roll taking important face-offs and on the PK, and leaving more minutes for kids like Lockwood, Graovac, etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

49 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

he could be buried! just like loui!

I suppose. As of right now he's one of 3 NHL caliber C's we actually have under contract though. So barring some major changes there... I'm guessing he's playing (if healthy).

And as @Jimmy McGill posted, nothing wrong with him playing +/- 10 minutes of hard, dzone/PK minutes for one more year. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

I suppose. As of right now he's one of 3 NHL caliber C's we actually have under contract though. So barring some major changes there... I'm guessing he's playing (if healthy).

And as @Jimmy McGill posted, nothing wrong with him playing +/- 10 minutes of hard, dzone/PK minutes for one more year. 

we need him to be healthy, otherwise we're shopping for two bottom 6 C's this offseason. One his hard enough. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need him to be healthy, otherwise we're shopping for two bottom 6 C's this offseason. One his hard enough. 

Maybe we need to look at our centres as a strength (Petey, Bo, and Miller)?  They make, as a group, an elite top 3.  Then we have Beagle, if he’s healthy, and Graovac, who is at least big and fairly skilled for the fourth line.

IMHAO, it’s a lot easier to find wingers, than it is to find centres - especially centres as good as Petey, Bo, and Miller.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we need to look at our centres as a strength (Petey, Bo, and Miller)?  They make, as a group, an elite top 3.  Then we have Beagle, if he’s healthy, and Graovac, who is at least big and fairly skilled for the fourth line.

IMHAO, it’s a lot easier to find wingers, than it is to find centres - especially centres as good as Petey, Bo, and Miller.

I think this is our default position going into next season. Its too thin, you know they all won't be healthy all year so we need at least one maybe two more guys that can step in for that. Not necessarily pure C's, wingers who are OK at taking some draws is fine, Reinhart e.g. was "OK" enough at it last year, not great but enough to fill in I guess.

Getzlaf would be pretty useful to have for this reason. Don't think he comes here but someone like that. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is our default position going into next season. Its too thin, you know they all won't be healthy all year so we need at least one maybe two more guys that can step in for that. Not necessarily pure C's, wingers who are OK at taking some draws is fine, Reinhart e.g. was "OK" enough at it last year, not great but enough to fill in I guess.

Getzlaf would be pretty useful to have for this reason. Don't think he comes here but someone like that. 

Might see him chase a Cup in Colorado or Dallas. Geez imagine that big galoot running wild on Vegas. :frantic:

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lind played centre in the AHL.  I’m hoping we give him opportunity at centre, and encourage his ‘rat’ behaviour.  He’s best when he’s a pest, because he’s got skill too.  Fochte (sp?) really impressed at centre in the ‘A’ too.  Although he’s still a year away, I see him as an option down th3 road.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lind played centre in the AHL.  I’m hoping we give him opportunity at centre, and encourage his ‘rat’ behaviour.  He’s best when he’s a pest, because he’s got skill too.  Fochte (sp?) really impressed at centre in the ‘A’ too.  Although he’s still a year away, I see him as an option down th3 road.  

was he strong enough to win face offs? 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

was he strong enough to win face offs? 

I know you asked Alf but I did find this:

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/03/05/fabers-prospect-lind-faceoff-zlodeyev-podkolzin-gadjovich-more/

Kole Lind

Coming into his third full season with the Comets, 22-year-old Kole Lind is playing top-line minutes in the AHL and is being used as a primary creator of offence on the power play. Along with the move to the top of the Comets’ lineup, he has also made a move to a new position. He is now playing centre on the Comets’ first line alongside Sven Baertschi and a combination of Lukas Jasek or Sam Anas.

Lind currently has eight points through eight games. He has four power play goals this season and is possessing a ton of confidence with the way that his line is operating at even strength this season.

The transition to centre is one of the most interesting situations in the Canucks’ prospect system. He was struggling with faceoffs early in the season but then switched to taking faceoffs left-handed. The idea originated from his younger brother Kalan Lind. “It started after our second game of the year,” said Kole. “I won two faceoffs like that and right after the game I went straight to my little brother, who has played centre basically his whole life and he gave me some pointers.” His brother Kalan is a good guy to ask as he will be a top prospect in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

Lind is finding that the opposite curve is giving him more pull in the faceoff dot. “I found that I would win a lot of draws for the opposition because the puck would roll off the end of my stick or the other guy would get his skate in the way,” said Lind. “So, I found by flipping the stick and curve over, I can get the puck cupped around my blade better, and be quicker than them so they can’t get their skate in the way.”

It’s strange to see in the AHL, but it’s working for Lind.

I don't think they keep track of face-offs in the AHL but if I recall he struggled and then got quite good winning 50% or more in several games before being called up.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I know you asked Alf but I did find this:

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/03/05/fabers-prospect-lind-faceoff-zlodeyev-podkolzin-gadjovich-more/

Kole Lind

Coming into his third full season with the Comets, 22-year-old Kole Lind is playing top-line minutes in the AHL and is being used as a primary creator of offence on the power play. Along with the move to the top of the Comets’ lineup, he has also made a move to a new position. He is now playing centre on the Comets’ first line alongside Sven Baertschi and a combination of Lukas Jasek or Sam Anas.

Lind currently has eight points through eight games. He has four power play goals this season and is possessing a ton of confidence with the way that his line is operating at even strength this season.

The transition to centre is one of the most interesting situations in the Canucks’ prospect system. He was struggling with faceoffs early in the season but then switched to taking faceoffs left-handed. The idea originated from his younger brother Kalan Lind. “It started after our second game of the year,” said Kole. “I won two faceoffs like that and right after the game I went straight to my little brother, who has played centre basically his whole life and he gave me some pointers.” His brother Kalan is a good guy to ask as he will be a top prospect in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

Lind is finding that the opposite curve is giving him more pull in the faceoff dot. “I found that I would win a lot of draws for the opposition because the puck would roll off the end of my stick or the other guy would get his skate in the way,” said Lind. “So, I found by flipping the stick and curve over, I can get the puck cupped around my blade better, and be quicker than them so they can’t get their skate in the way.”

It’s strange to see in the AHL, but it’s working for Lind.

I don't think they keep track of face-offs in the AHL but if I recall he struggled and then got quite good winning 50% or more in several games before being called up.

neat, thanks. Hopefully a guy like Beagle can work with him as well for stuff like this. 

On 6/27/2021 at 3:43 PM, Convincing John said:

I can’t wait to hear the people who worship Jim Benning’s draft record say that draft picks aren’t that big of a Deal. Hahah

They go on Google and quote their little probabilities.

Hear ye, hear ye

players drafted after 8th overall have a 0.0045% chance of making team Canada, therefore drafting is a waste of time. 

Then all the Benning buds shower the post with beer mugs and huggy bears. 

While simultaneously

bashing their keyboard with tears flowing. Denouncing anyone who doesn’t ignore Jim Benning’s bush league roster decisions. Then they’ll give you a list of all the players he drafted. Hahaha. See!!!!

This is my little puzzle I like to try to figure out once in a while. 

we can all agree that most of Jim’s mistakes have been made signing contracts and acquiring established players. 

We can all agree that Jim’s home runs have come in the form of drafting. 

When is he going to just trust his area of expertise and use/ acquire some draft picks? If he followed this philosophy from day 1 we would have the same core at the very least, clearly more, at a fraction of what he is paying. This would be the time to start adding veterans with your ridiculous amount of cap space. We are now further behind from trying to get further ahead. That stupid “age gap” cost us like 5 years. 

You sound like the heat has gotten to you. Try to find some shade and relax a bit. I will give you a beer but I can't give you a teddy bear as I think you might drown it with all those tears.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2