The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next NHL Expansion City

Rate this topic

Next NHL Expansion City  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Relocation seems the most logical and healthy move for the league.  Get relocation fee's to inject revenue, merch/ticket sales for new teams, another team to add to the profit share instead of subtract and the talent pool stays the same.  Panthers/Arizona, Bada Bing Bada boom billion dollars.

Rumor is Players are saying ask for $1 Billion. 3 first overall picks guaranteed no lottery and less players protected.  after they figure out Arizona they'll go for expansion. Florida panther will relocate to somewhere in Florida(Miami or Orlando).

Saskatoon has had their heartbreak with the NHL before.Early 80’s the blues were rumoured to be moved to Saskatoon….. poor bill hunter and it never came to pass

saskatoon so ticked off the nhl they sadly will never get Ann he team at any price 

If the KHL is getting aggressive then I don't see expansion. It's going to be tough enough to have over 960 players including prospects maintained. (32x 30) 

Only 224 players are drafted each year. If every single player drafted made the NHL it would still take 4 years to restock. And the draft doesn't have that level of success.

I think we were pushing it at 28 teams, let alone 32. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Wow , Middle/Northwest USA pretty dead . i guess there are no Towns in Idaho,  Montana ,Wyoming , Dakota that could handle a Top League Team. 

There is like 200k cities max in north and south Dakota.. You have Omaha and Kansas City with malf a mill each that could work

4 hours ago, JayCanuck10 said:

I would like to see Arizona move to Houston/Utah/Idaho and the Panthers move to Quebec City before any further expansion.

Its not Happening now but since 1990 the average is about a team added every 3 years. sometime before 2033 they'll announce 4 team expansion

Its Milwaukee. Which I don’t know why its not on the vote list.

Milwaukee is going too be the next NHL franchise because of its location. Milwaukee has a Hockey fan base and an AHL team the Admirals and its also has proven fan success with MBL Brewers and NBA Bucks.

The nfl has 32 teams. The nba only has 30, and both those leagues are way more popular than the nhl. There is no way 36 teams can be supported. 

Currently, as a percentage of revenue the Canadian teams are hugely subsidizing the league. Financially it would make the most sense to move some US franchises from the poorly performing south (yes, I’m looking at you  Florida and Phoenix) to Canada. Ontario could easily support 2 more teams. And there is Quebec City. Screw Toronto and their so called veto. Look, the southern US experiment is just not working. Let’s stop flogging a dead horse. 

5 minutes ago, canucksVSflames89 said:

The nfl has 32 teams. The nba only has 30, and both those leagues are way more popular than the nhl. There is no way 36 teams can be supported. 

Currently, as a percentage of revenue the Canadian teams are hugely subsidizing the league. Financially it would make the most sense to move some US franchises from the poorly performing south (yes, I’m looking at you  Florida and Phoenix) to Canada. Ontario could easily support 2 more teams. And there is Quebec City. Screw Toronto and their so called veto. Look, the southern US experiment is just not working. Let’s stop flogging a dead horse. 

Nba 2 team expansion next year. Vegas and seattle. I'm not saying now, Before the end of the decade

Edited by Iron Fist

Portland is probably the one that would have the most success. 

Hockey fans are there. Rivalry already there with Seattle and Portland in the WHL. Winterhawks usually are one of the leaders in attendance in the WHL with 6000 people normally. 

Big populated city. Trailblazers already there. IMO it would be the next best bet. 

Probably would do a relocation next though.