The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Nurse is not worth his contract. His chipping the puck into his own net was classic. He can log huge TOI but turns the puck an awful lot. Loses position. Takes bad penalties at times. 

They signed Nurse to the big contract a year early based on 36 points (16 goals) in 56 games.  But it was a "1 of" season.  He backed it up with 35 points in 71 games.

OEL at $7.2 is better value and they're both signed until age 35

I think the lesson is not to sign a player too soon to big term and dollars.  I think if you were to sign Nurse this year, the term is fine but the money is based on 1 year at 0.64 ppg but as reality has set in this year at 0.49 ppg and he could be signed for $2M less.

So when Allvin is looking at Miller and if he really wants to keep him long term, the longer he waits to re-sign the better.  After a 99 point year (1.24 ppg) better to wait a year when he'll likely regress to the mean, post fewer points and be a year older and you could easily sign to a more reasonable number.  Bigger picture, Allvin needs to figure out how he's going to round out this roster.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL looks pretty good at 7.2 when compared to lots of D, but especially to Nurse and Seth Jones.  

I can see us going with a left side of Hughes, OEL, Rathbone.  If Miller (or Garland) can return a better partner for Hughes, that’s great for us.  

Hughes - ?

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

That's the spot they need to fill Alf.  Find a partner for Hughes.  It needs to be a stay at home RHD.  It's hard to find but they won't have to back up the Brinks truck to his door.

By filling that spot, they push all others on the right side down the depth chart to places where they won't be asking too much of them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's the spot they need to fill Alf.  Find a partner for Hughes.  It needs to be a stay at home RHD.  It's hard to find but they won't have to back up the Brinks truck to his door.

By filling that spot, they push all others on the right side down the depth chart to places where they won't be asking too much of them.

Avs paid 2 seconds to get a great partner for Makar.  Not too sure who that great partner for Hughes is, but fingers crossed Garland has that kind of value.  I think Pionk would be perfect.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, Mackcanuck said:

For those complaing about OEL @ $7.25M for 5 more yrs

and

Tyler Myers @ $6M for 2 more yrs

At least we aren't

Darnell Nurse @ $9.25M for 7 more yrs :P

the fact he is paid so much is truly hilarious.  He might be one of the dumbest players in the league

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, Mackcanuck said:

For those complaing about OEL @ $7.25M for 5 more yrs

and

Tyler Myers @ $6M for 2 more yrs

At least we aren't

Darnell Nurse @ $9.25M for 7 more yrs :P

Umm....Mack....Cap Friendly has been updated, that's 8 more years ::D

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, Crabcakes said:

Umm....Mack....Cap Friendly has been updated, that's 8 more years ::D

Of Darryl Nurses contract?  OEL has 5 years left out of a 8 year contract.

Edit:

Omg... Yes forgot Darryl Nurse's 8 contract is just about to kick in at 9.25 mill on the cap... Wow

Edited by Hogs & Podz

• 4 weeks later...

MAKING THE CASE FOR OEL

I hear a lot of complaints that OEL gets paid too much money for what he produces, and in the past I'd agree with you but the last few seasons there's been a change, a shift in the NHL that most don't consider. Top 4 Defenceman are getting paid and they don't have to put up 50 plus points like Hughes or Makar.  

Lets take a look at Heiskenen.  This young stud (23) that everyone is in love with has been in the league as long as Hughes, he has never put up 50 points.  Forget that, he hasn't once cracked the 40 point threshold.  His career year to date was last year where he put up 36 points.  That's it.  He has this reputation of being in the same class as Makar, Hughes and Fox but aside from his one great playoff performance he's been just OK.  Not great, and not nearly as deserving of his mysteriously bestowed reputation. He gets paid $8.450 Million a year until 28/29.

OEL on the other hand has produced decently throughout his career.  Maybe in years past his contract hasn't looked great, but in todays NHL he's still a top 4 Defenceman easily and has put up multiple 40 point seasons.  OEL's first year as a Canuck he posted 29 points.  He has room to grow with this young team and even if he only gets 30 - 35 points at $7.260 million, that's a bargain. 

Look at what top 4 defencemen are getting around the league, the prices are only going up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I don't know if I'd call OEL's contract a "bargain". 7-1/4m is a lot of money, and honestly, I would generally expect more from a player making that kind of salary.

However, he's a solid player (certainly top 4 material still) and let's not forget that Benning did gain some benefit from acquiring him - that's how we shed some salary for last season and acquired Garland. I'm not as concerned about his salary right now, but come 2026 or 2027, I imagine decisions may have to be made to shed that pricetag.

There's a lot of +++ to OEL's game and he brings many tangibles to the team.  His skills include

skating, high IQ, physicality and offence.  He has leadership qualities and will stand up for his teammates.

This past season, he has had his worst point production, but (oddly enough) it's the first time his +/- stat is a +.

OEL came into the league as an offensive dman and has had to work hard at bringing his defensive game to

a possible NHL level.  Imo, playing for a bottom feeding team like AZ must have been awful for a stud dman and

probably stole the passion for his game (much like what's happening to Chychrun right now).

The best case scenario would be for him to have a defensive partner, which would allow him to play a more offensive

game.  He is also a very good player on the PP, which he really hasn't had much opportunity so far, in Vancouver.

This season, the Canucks will have a stronger group for the 2nd PP, so it is likely OEL will get more chances

to score goals.  It wouldn't surprise me if he returns to being a 40pt player this season.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't know if I'd call OEL's contract a "bargain". 7-1/4m is a lot of money, and honestly, I would generally expect more from a player making that kind of salary.

However, he's a solid player (certainly top 4 material still) and let's not forget that Benning did gain some benefit from acquiring him - that's how we shed some salary for last season and acquired Garland. I'm not as concerned about his salary right now, but come 2026 or 2027, I imagine decisions may have to be made to shed that pricetag.

Kinda like that bum Alex Edler, am I right?

33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

There's a lot of +++ to OEL's game and he brings many tangibles to the team.  His skills include

skating, high IQ, physicality and offence.  He has leadership qualities and will stand up for his teammates.

This past season, he has had his worst point production, but (oddly enough) it's the first time his +/- stat is a +.

OEL came into the league as an offensive dman and has had to work hard at bringing his defensive game to

a possible NHL level.  Imo, playing for a bottom feeding team like AZ must have been awful for a stud dman and

probably stole the passion for his game (much like what's happening to Chychrun right now).

The best case scenario would be for him to have a defensive partner, which would allow him to play a more offensive

game.  He is also a very good player on the PP, which he really hasn't had much opportunity so far, in Vancouver.

This season, the Canucks will have a stronger group for the 2nd PP, so it is likely OEL will get more chances

to score goals.  It wouldn't surprise me if he returns to being a 40pt player this season.

You forgot to add that Hughes does not have the year he had without OEL in the line up.

You also forgot to add that BB hardly played the PP2 but when Hughes went down to injury our PP1 which was lead by OEL scored more frequently. 

Now that the values of contracts have taken a large leap up, OEL's contract is actually a good one.  I think the time is now to convert either OEL or Hughes to the right side and just make them our top pair.  We would get maximum value from both of them being paired together.  Opens up some options for Dermott and Rathbone to battle for 2nd pair LD minutes as well.  If no additional upgrades come in:

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Now that the values of contracts have taken a large leap up, OEL's contract is actually a good one.  I think the time is now to convert either OEL or Hughes to the right side and just make them our top pair.  We would get maximum value from both of them being paired together.  Opens up some options for Dermott and Rathbone to battle for 2nd pair LD minutes as well.  If no additional upgrades come in:

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

The thing is both OEL and Hughes are offensively minded D. They need to be paired with stay at home D for them to reach their potential.  The problem we have is our best right side D (Myers) is also Offensively minded and that’s the conundrum.  Myers is a top 4 D but needs to be paired with a Defensive minded D.   Myers and OEL played together a lot of last season, but with Myers being the offensive D it stunted OEL’s production having to be a stay at home.  It’s a puzzle management needs to solve.   If we trade Myers and Miller for a guy like Brock Faber, and even then our problems at D would only be partially fixed.  With Myers gone we would still need another top 4 Defensive D.  

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The thing is both OEL and Hughes are offensively minded D. They need to be paired with stay at home D for them to reach their potential.  The problem we have is our best right side D (Myers) is also Offensively minded and that’s the conundrum.  Myers is a top 4 D but needs to be paired with a Defensive minded D.   Myers and OEL played together a lot of last season, but with Myers being the offensive D it stunted OEL’s production having to be a stay at home.  It’s a puzzle management needs to solve.   If we trade Myers and Miller for a guy like Brock Faber, and even then our problems at D would only be partially fixed.  With Myers gone we would still need another top 4 Defensive D.  

I agree that the better option will be to make some moves to balance it out some more.  Maybe if we move OEL with Hughes which I think still works, we try and secure a proper stay at home LD for Myers on the second pair unless he is moved.  Then the balance of Rathbone/Dermott with Schenn works out well.  Maybe that is the reason for the De Haan rumours:

Hughes OEL

De Haan Myers

Rathbone Schenn 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Am I the only one who thinks this looks quite inadequate?

Solid top pairing. But Myers is just passable as a 2nd pairing guy and Dermott has shown little to warrant the spot. That's a weak 2nd.

Rathbone and Schenn I'm actually ok with for the bottom pairing.

I'd sooner see us lose a little forward depth to get a true top pairing guy for Hughes. Keep OEL in the 2nd pairing where he probably belongs best, and the rest plays out to the bottom, with Rathbone and Dermott left to fight out 3LD.

Management really only needs that one Tanev-like guy to make it all work.

Brodin, Carlo, Siegenthaler, K'Andre Miller, Mikey Anderson, Grzelyk (?) kind of guy. Myers is the closest thing we have to a guy like that, but he isn't at all to the level we need for Hughes.