The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blue Jackets trade Seth Jones, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 6th-round pick to Blackhawks for Adam Boqvist, 2021 1st-round pick, 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 1st-round pick

Jones is a good player. He will help the Hawks far more than Keith could at his age.

But man, that's a lot to give up, and that's a TON to pay annually. I think he's a 7m player at best, and that's a long contract to boot.

No thanks.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Jones is a good player. He will help the Hawks far more than Keith could at his age.

But man, that's a lot to give up, and that's a TON to pay annually. I think he's a 7m player at best, and that's a long contract to boot.

No thanks.

Jones is also very suspect in his own end. This contract will age really poorly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Jesus, that's a lot of assets and money to give up for Jones. Absolutely insane. Way too much. 

omg I was so caught up in our deal, I didn't realize it was 2 1sts. Holy $&!#. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

omg I was so caught up in our deal, I didn't realize it was 2 1sts. Holy $&!#. 

For real, and there's no guarantee Chicago makes the playoffs in that division. Could be a high one. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Hes fine in his own end.  He just plays a non-chalant style.  Hes missing that extra gear.  

I think the Blackhawks just ruined their rebuild

They should've stayed patient but they want to please Toews and Kane. I wouldn't trade either of those two but I'd certainly trade some of their other older guys. Plus they have that Seabrook albatross. It makes sense to rebuild through those bad Seabrook years but that's not what the vets want. Honestly, if that's not what they want I don't see much harm in trading them instead of moving all your good young players for fixes in the short-term. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, morrissex95 said:

I think the Blackhawks just ruined their rebuild

They should've stayed patient but they want to please Toews and Kane. I wouldn't trade either of those two but I'd certainly trade some of their other older guys. Plus they have that Seabrook albatross. It makes sense to rebuild through those bad Seabrook years but that's not what the vets want. Honestly, if that's not what they want I don't see much harm in trading them instead of moving all your good young players for fixes in the short-term. 

Dach is a beast and going to be one of the 10 best players in the game soon.  Toews is still there..as is Kane and a Debrincat.  True..they had no reason to make this trade.  Boqvist is going to be awesoms in 2 yrs.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Dach is a beast and going to be one of the 10 best players in the game soon.  Toews is still there..as is Kane and a Debrincat.  True..they had no reason to make this trade.  Boqvist is going to be awesoms in 2 yrs.

I already thought Boqvist was good enough

I read someone say: Look at all this asset management by Columbus lol trading Johansen for Jones, then trading Jones for this ridiculous haul of goodies. I agree 1000% 

They know what they're doing there in CBJ with Davidson and Kekalainen. Chicago trying too hard to win again with their two stars. They traded Keith, it's time to turn the page. Trading Boqvist, two 1sts and a 2nd doesn't do that. Than they sign this behemoth of a contract. I don't get it. 

16 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I already thought Boqvist was good enough

I read someone say: Look at all this asset management by Columbus lol trading Johansen for Jones, then trading Jones for this ridiculous haul of goodies. I agree 1000% 

They know what they're doing there in CBJ with Davidson and Kekalainen. Chicago trying too hard to win again with their two stars. They traded Keith, it's time to turn the page. Trading Boqvist, two 1sts and a 2nd doesn't do that. Than they sign this behemoth of a contract. I don't get it. 

If Jarmo is ever available as a gm the Canucks should jump all over it. Picked PLD when everyone else thought he would take Puljujarvi and he was right with his selection. Then flips Dubois for BOTH Laine and Roslovic which looks great right now. He got Artemi Panarin and tyler motte in a trade with Chicago for Brandon Saad. Got Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen which again worked out great. 

This year he walks away with Adam Boqvist who will step in right away, Kent Johnson who might be the most skilled player in the draft, Cole Sillinger who is among the hardest working in the draft and could be a future captain, and Corson Ceulemans who could be steal. 

It's not his fault that Columbus is a destination that not alot of players want to stick around at, but he for damn sure does his best with what he has. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TmanVan said:

If Jarmo is ever available as a gm the Canucks should jump all over it. Picked PLD when everyone else thought he would take Puljujarvi and he was right with his selection. Then flips Dubois for BOTH Laine and Roslovic which looks great right now. He got Artemi Panarin and tyler motte in a trade with Chicago for Brandon Saad. Got Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen which again worked out great. 

This year he walks away with Adam Boqvist who will step in right away, Kent Johnson who might be the most skilled player in the draft, Cole Sillinger who is among the hardest working in the draft and could be a future captain, and Corson Ceulemans who could be steal. 

It's not his fault that Columbus is a destination that not alot of players want to stick around at, but he for damn sure does his best with what he has. 

Loading up at the deadline with Duchene, Dzingel and McQuaid wasn't the greatest idea but I can understand why he wanted to win in the present and drum up some interest from the fans. If I'm Columbus, I look at trading Laine. I don't know if he fits into the culture they're building. Laine for Eichel? Laine to Los Angeles? Laine to Carolina? Laine to Montreal? There are options out there. If I can get one of Los Angeles' centers, either Turcotte or Byfield. If I can get Jack Eichel or Rasmus Dahlin straight up. You get the picture. 

If Columbus can find a way to accommodate Laine's quirks, like his lack of willingness to play defense, they should totally keep him. Columbus is probably a bottom-feeder and I'm not sure if Patrik Laine wants to waste his prime years there when there are some great trade partners available in the western conference. Dallas? Minnesota for Kaprizov/Fiala? Los Angeles would be a shoe-in. We'd be out of consideration as would Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vegas and Chicago unless they're willing to lose more assets. The rest of teams, like maybe Colorado who might need to replace Landeskog, would be clamoring at the chance. Imagine MacKinnon and Laine playing together? Money in the bank for the NHL. Meanwhile, Columbus replace Laine's star power with Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger. 

Lots of thing percolating