The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

19 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

i think either Jiricek or Nemec would be just fine, but my info is that Nemec is more complete than Jiricek, and displays both offense and defense.

There has to be a reason he is consistently ranked higher than Jircek (as high as #2)

I think Jiricek dropped a bit in some scouts opinion because of his knee injury.

However I am not critisising your opinion.

From reading your other hockey related posts on this forum and plus you actually play/ played our sport, I respect your opinion.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I think Jiricek dropped a bit in some scouts opinion because of his knee injury.

However I am not critisising your opinion.

From reading your other hockey related posts on this forum and plus you actually play/ played our sport, I respect your opinion.

Honestly, I would over the moon with either Nemec or Jiricek

One can not be greedy, can one? LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What are the Canucks' greatest needs?  

Top 5:

1. Jiricek - RD

2. Wright - r-shot C

3. Nemec - RD

4. Nazar - r-shot C

5. Savoie - r-shot C

I wouldn't say more undersized fwds (Savoie,Nazar) is a need! I'm sure they will have great careers.......The guys I would consider in the need columb for our team are a bit further down the draft board. 

Hulking stay home D I think Bichsel's got the highest ceiling.

Bichsel, Rinzel, Lamoureux, Warren, Pickering

C who can take D zone FO's

Marco Kaspar 2 way crap stirrer general pain in the butt.

Jiri Kulich 2 way great shot responsible defensively.

Owen Beck 60.6% in the OHL as a 17yo 3rd most in the entire league in FO won Right shot

Nathan Gaucher Right shot big boi shut down C excellent transitional.

Power FWD 

Cutter Gauthier Reminds me of Rick Nash the blue white and red jersey helps...There's a long way to go though.

Jani Nyman Skates like the wind for a guy 6'3 212 charges up ice with the puck.

Rutger McGroarty Bulls his way around the ice like JT Miller

Reid Schafer Nasty piece of biznass 

Kiril Dolzhenkov Monsterous and can skate

TOP 6 Fwds who fit our group that may drop into a range we could move into.

Lambert Speed did I say speed.

Yurov elite shot great on the boards high IQ

Kemell Incredible shot pestilent player. Tries to do too much often gets away with it because he's really good. Coaching will help him.

Nemec/Jiricek are a pipe dream would be nice to get one of em but at what cost?

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 2

Watch Jimmy Snuggerud become a very good NHL player.  Deep hockey roots, pedigree

Looking back at previous drafts, there always seem to be players in the mid-1st round or later than somehow beat the odds and become better players than the experts thought. I can see Jimmy Snuggerud being one of those players. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watch Jimmy Snuggerud become a very good NHL player.  Deep hockey roots, pedigree

Looking back at previous drafts, there always seem to be players in the mid-1st round or later than somehow beat the odds and become better players than the experts thought. I can see Jimmy Snuggerud being one of those players. 

Skating is a real issue. Guys that like him really like him though there's lots to like if he's there in the 2nd.

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tough to tell who on that USDP team are the passagers and who are driving the ship as they have 6 forwards on that team over a point/game and expected to all go in the first round. I have them ranked at the moment for the Canucks:

Cooley

McGroarty

Gauthier

Nazar

Howard

Snuggerud

But I've seen them in all kind of orders, I do think Cooley is the consensus best of the group though.  

I think Howard could also be a sleeper as he posted a ridiculous 1.59 points/game on the U17 USDP team leading it by a wide margin and then lead the U18 team in points, second to Cooley in pts/game I believe.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Cutter Gauthier Reminds me of Rick Nash the blue white and red jersey helps...There's a long way to go though.

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Tough to tell who on that USDP team are the passagers and who are driving the ship as they have 6 forwards on that team over a point/game and expected to all go in the first round. I have them ranked at the moment for the Canucks:

Cooley

McGroarty

Gauthier

Nazar

Howard

Snuggerud

Could you guys say a little bit about what it is you like about Gauthier? I keep going back and forth on him. There's the size and raw tools and all, but specifically do you see high end offensive upside? And why or why not?

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Could you guys say a little bit about what it is you like about Gauthier? I keep going back and forth on him. There's the size and raw tools and all, but specifically do you see high end offensive upside? And why or why not?

I see him more of a complimentary player, but with his size, shot, and skating combo he is the type of player teams salivate over come playoff time. He isn't afraid to get involved physically in battles and isn't a liability defensively either. I think a team that takes him will have to be patient with him to reach his potential but if he gets there they will not be disappointed. Similar to a Lawson Crouse type player.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I have them ranked at the moment for the Canucks:

Cooley

McGroarty

Gauthier

Nazar

Howard

Snuggerud

But I've seen them in all kind of orders, I do think Cooley is the consensus best of the group though.  

Looking at Craig Button's rankings:

Cooley

Gauthier

Snuggerud

Howard

Nazar

McGroarty

I guess Button thinks McGroarty is the passenger?

Edited by NUCKER67

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at Craig Button's rankings:

Cooley

Gauthier

Snuggerud

Howard

Nazar

McGroarty

I guess Button thinks McGroarty is the passenger?

Yeah he is definitely not a fan boy, probably doesnt think he can overcome his skating deficiencies. He has not looked like a passenger to me, but all six could become solid NHLers. I am excited to see what they can do at the Combine. 

9 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I don't have Cutter in the top 10 but I certainly have time for the conversation at 15. I can see why others have him in the top 10. I think he projects very safely as a middle 6 power forward who can be played on any line in any situation you could start him on the 3rd or 4th and he's not going to hurt you. He's got solid defensive chops and offensively he's lethal from the left circle.. He's a big body and he moves well. He does big Boi things. I'd take him ahead of Geekie in this regard. He can keep up and hang with skill players. Coaches I think will happily add him to their top 6 as he will not only physically create space but you have to respect his shot. Maybe I should have him in my top 10 after all. 

I'd like to see better puck movement has a tendency to get the blinders on. And he's a bit of a volume shooter but hey so is Ovie.

Depending on who else is on the board at 15 he could be what the doctor ordered for us.

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Shot is high end kind of like mctavish. He could handle the the bigger load after cooley got hurt. Still a bit of a passenger on his lines and more of a finisher, but he has shown more along the lines of boldy that he can dominate.

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I see him more of a complimentary player, but with his size, shot, and skating combo he is the type of player teams salivate over come playoff time. He isn't afraid to get involved physically in battles and isn't a liability defensively either. I think a team that takes him will have to be patient with him to reach his potential but if he gets there they will not be disappointed. Similar to a Lawson Crouse type player.   

That's a useful comparison. Thanks for that. Saw in an interview he said he models his game after Pierre-Luc Dubois but I'm just not sure I see it. I've seen a fair amount of him and I actually like him quite a bit as a playmaker off the puck, skating good routes and getting around other net, but with the puck on his stick I see very little to get excited about aside from the shot. Was wondering if maybe I was missing something.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't have Cutter in the top 10 but I certainly have time for the conversation at 15. I can see why others have him in the top 10. I think he projects very safely as a middle 6 power forward who can be played on any line in any situation you could start him on the 3rd or 4th and he's not going to hurt you. He's got solid defensive chops and offensively he's lethal from the left circle.. He's a big body and he moves well. He does big Boi things. I'd take him ahead of Geekie in this regard. He can keep up and hang with skill players. Coaches I think will happily add him to their top 6 as he will not only physically create space but you have to respect his shot. Maybe I should have him in my top 10 after all. 

I'd like to see better puck movement has a tendency to get the blinders on. And he's a bit of a volume shooter but hey so is Ovie.

Depending on who else is on the board at 15 he could be what the doctor ordered for us.

Thanks for the input. Drastically different player from Geekie though. Geekie doesn't have Gauthier's raw tools, but their playmaking abilities, in terms of creativity, problem-solving and precision, is night and day. But the big question is whether Geekie can keep up to the pace at higher levels. Seems like Gauthier is the safer but more limited upside player while Geekie is more the boom-bust offensive talent.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Cooley

McGroarty

Gauthier

Nazar

Howard

Snuggerud

I think Howard could also be a sleeper as he posted a ridiculous 1.59 points/game on the U17 USDP team leading it by a wide margin and then lead the U18 team in points, second to Cooley in pts/game I believe.    

Not quite as tough when you watch them play. I don't think it is all that hard to determine who are the play-drivers at this level currently. That's always the easy part of scouting - trying to decide who will be the best NHL player years down the road is the tough part. 2020 was such a perfect illustration of this because Lucas Raymond was so clearly vastly superior to Quentin Byfield in every way.... except for the 6 or 7 inches and 40 lbs Byflied had on him. Others too, Stutzle, Perfetti, Holtz, Rossi were probably all pretty clearly better than Byfield at that time, but it was just so glaring with Raymond. And yet, Byfield was easily the consensus higher pick.

As for who is driving play right now at the NTDP, it is very clearly Cooley and Nazar at the top, Howard and McGroarty make up the middle tier, and then Gauthier and Snuggerud are the proverbial passengers. Easy. Trying to rank them as NHL prospects is a whole different story.