The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Just curious, with many widely varying rankings and mocks, which do people trust the most or find most realistic?

It seems almost for everyone, most decisions are understandable, but then there are select players that just seem wildly out of place from one ranking to another.

Those are kinda two different things. 

The actual draft order is not the best list. 

I would say Bob's list is a great indicator though (especially his late risers) of how the actual draft is going to go though if that's what you're after. 

7 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Uh... have you watched Ches play? He shouldn't go in the top 30, let alone the top 15. His ineptitude from the o blueline in, along with his skating—which is NOT NHL-ready—makes him chase the play a good 69% of the time.

Solid option in round 2-3 is my take. He's really forgettable. When you watch games, you're looking for guys in the game that catch your eye and are like "wow, who's that?"

Ryan Chesley is not one of those players...

This seems a little extreme, but I would tend to agree. Not a guy I'd take in the first round. But some people who have seen him do really like him. Was just about a top 20 ranked prospect on McKenzie's mid-season list. Seems like a fairly safe pick to be a #4/5 defenseman or so.

Edited by HighOnHockey

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

This seems a little extreme, but I would tend to agree. Not a guy I'd take in the first round. But some people who have seen him do really like him. Was just about a top 20 ranked prospect on McKenzie's mid-season list. Seems like a fairly safe pick to be a #4/5 defenseman or so.

More interested in charlie leddy. 

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

he's just boring. makes the high% play, not the fastest guy, pretty decent all around.

if we're reaching, i'd rather take perevalov tbh

9 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Uh... have you watched Ches play? He shouldn't go in the top 30, let alone the top 15. His ineptitude from the o blueline in, along with his skating—which is NOT NHL-ready—makes him chase the play a good 69% of the time.

Solid option in round 2-3 is my take. He's really forgettable. When you watch games, you're looking for guys in the game that catch your eye and are like "wow, who's that?"

Ryan Chesley is not one of those players...

If he’s paired with either Hughes or Rathbone he won’t need to be an offensive dynamo.  I like his defensive physical game.  Maybe the Canucks can trade down to get him for a second rounder.  Either way he’s a great fit with the defence we have.   He plays his best when playing with offensive LHD. That’s his thing,  think of Bieksa, defensively reliable, physical, great outlet pass.  

Edited by Pure961089

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I wonder if he's as big of a dick as Nail was. :lol:

that was a great interview

Up there with Kucherov and his beers last season

1 hour ago, lmm said:

that was a great interview

Up there with Kucherov and his beers last season

The NHL draft is a graveyard of highly touted players that ended up being busts.  Miller is as sure a things as you can get.  Zero injury history, tough as nails.  Canucks need to sign him because even a high pick in return could set the Canucks back years,  I think the Canucks are close if they can keep Miller and Bo.  We may need to give Brock another bridge deal to fit him in.  It’s too risky to give Miller away even for a top pick.  Nolan Patrick anyone?  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I wonder if he's as big of a dick as Nail was. :lol:

Hahaha what a legend, that was hilarious! 

The only person that would call this a "horrible" interview would be some butthurt fan of the junior team. 

8 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

I always like to look through rankings and look for kids who've had incredible ppg numbers who are not ranked at the very top of the first round, and then go read the scouting reports on them to see why. Sometimes its skating, sometimes its size, etc.

The one player I don't really understand why he's so low is Isaac Howard. He's not small he's 5'10' 183 lbs....so he'll probably top out at 6'0'' or more 

He's played for the USNDP and excelled, is apparently a strong skater, competitor etc. His last 60 games he has 60-33-49-82...those are some solid numbers. That's 1.37 ppg

For instance the following players have ppg's of:

Shane Wright:  1.49

Logan Cooley: 1.47

Matt Savoie: 1.42

Frank Nazar: 1.25

Connor Geekie: 1,11

They say this about him 

Isaac Howard is an offensively gifted forward, a natural scorer who is developing into an excellent playmaker as well. He scored 54 goals in 91 games spread over two seasons with United States National Team Development Program Juniors, but his 71 assists have earned him a reputation for being a versatile player who can both score and set up plays. Howard has committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth for the 2022-23 season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/isaac-howard-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

While I know ppg isn't the be all and end all, I have noticed that the higher the ppg absent being too small, or major issues in skating, does tend to translate into better odds of success in the NHL, ie you can't teach talent.

I recall years ago, not sure if he still does it, someone on hockey forums basically had an algo that ranked players on ppg and adjusted for league difficulty, His algo outperformed most GM's...it was very simple...talent wins....its almost as if scouts think too much and get in their own way.

Anyways, just an interesting player and curious why a player who's not small, but not big, a strong skater, with the 4th highest ppg average amongst forwards is ranked 20 and below.

If that guy on Hockey Forums algo is right, this guy would likely be a potential steal.

;P

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

he's just boring. makes the high% play, not the fastest guy, pretty decent all around.

Oh no a boring defense first defenseman? He's also a far better skater than you give him credit for. He's not my pick at 15 but 25-35 I'm all for it. He has a very good shot too. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lafreniere 210 pounds and plays a heavy game

Dumais 165 pounds and is a perimeter guy.

Lots of little fellers have put up big numbers in Junior.  Nic Petan for example.

In Petans stellar draft year, he was tied with teammate Brendan Leipsic for points.

Dumais is 21 points ahead of his next closest teammate.

Additionally, Dumais is just one of the many players I make mention of in there lol. Lot of interesting guys should be available at Nucks 1st

3 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

In Petans stellar draft year, he was tied with teammate Brendan Leipsic for points.

Dumais is 21 points ahead of his next closest teammate.

Additionally, Dumais is just one of the many players I make mention of in there lol. Lot of interesting guys should be available at Nucks 1st

One of the top teams might use their first (28-32) on Dumais.  But more likely he's a late second or (for certain) gone in the third.  It's always a question with little fellers if their game will transfer to the NHL.  

11 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I would still take him in the first round but at 15 might be a bit of a reach, if we are going to reach on a RD Luneau's a better choice I think he will become a solid 6'2" 205lbs two way Dman. 

9 hours ago, Zfetch said:

;P

Will be interesting to see where Dumais goes and if he makes the NHL, how he does.....can't teach talent. If he's a great skater (don't know anything about him), watch out!

Edit: After reading the article below, sure sounds like exactly what I was talking about...for sure one to watch....somebody may get a steal in the second/third round

Interestingly, when you look at his stats progression, it seems he takes a year to adjust to a new level, then the second year dominates...that's a very big sign about his talent and work ethic....would love to see us snag him with our third if he's still there. My guess is he goes late second with those stats.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-jordan-dumais/

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Vintage 1