The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I'll admit I know very little about this entire class, but at 15 I am really pulling for Korchinski (LHD). But it looks like most mocks and rankings have him going before us. But he sounds like a great fit. Almost seems like a moderate floor, but high ceiling type pick which is perfect in the mid 1st

yes sounds like a solid pick. I won't be heartbroken if not though, he is a LD, and that's one of our strongest areas with QH/OEL/Rathbone coming

On 6/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Cannot see Horvat being moved over Miller. Miller is older and will be more expensive to keep and needs a new contract at a really tricky stage of his career.

I'd love to keep Miller, but am completely good with moving him if the right circumstances pop up. If we could snag the #2 OA, I'd be pretty happy with that, would put us about 2 years till our window really opens.

Isn't all of this the reason why Horvat would have more value in a trade and thus you keep the better player (even if he's 1.5 years older?). If you can get more for the player who's not as good, you have to consider it heavily. 1.5 years is not a huge difference. And a reminder, Horvat's contract is up at the end of next season as well and he will also be a UFA

On 6/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Could be a lot of pressure on MTL to draft Wright, he's ranked #1 everywhere, but I don't believe he'll be the best player from this draft. Slafkovsky looks like he'll be a beast. Then there's the two RDS, Nemec and Jiricek. Those types of players don't come around often. If the Canucks could somehow get into the Top 5.

i wonder if history will repeat itself? i remember montreal had first over-all pick. the fans wanted them to pick the young star, dennis savard but they chose the big center doug wickenheiser.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i wonder if history will repeat itself? i remember montreal had first over-all pick. the fans wanted them to pick the young star, dennis savard but they chose the big center doug wickenheiser.

What could've been for the Habs! Savard eventually made it to MTL, but his best days were already behind him.

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Isn't all of this the reason why Horvat would have more value in a trade and thus you keep the better player (even if he's 1.5 years older?). If you can get more for the player who's not as good, you have to consider it heavily. 1.5 years is not a huge difference. And a reminder, Horvat's contract is up at the end of next season as well and he will also be a UFA

We're trying to build a cup contender. For some reason, once guys get to 25 or 26, fans seem to want to trade them so we can get a shiny new draft pick instead of enjoying their prime years here. Miller, under a new contract will be close to 30 by the time it kicks in. Unless he can be signed at a reasonable rate that won't create a new cap crunch 3 or 4 years from now, he needs to be traded now.

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We're trying to build a cup contender. For some reason, once guys get to 25 or 26, fans seem to want to trade them so we can get a shiny new draft pick instead of enjoying their prime years here. Miller, under a new contract will be close to 30 by the time it kicks in. Unless he can be signed at a reasonable rate that won't create a new cap crunch 3 or 4 years from now, he needs to be traded now.

Miller will be over 30 when his next contract starts.  That’s why trading him as a rental looks like our only option, and doing so before that last TDL would have returned more than now.  We need draft picks.  Now Bo might have more value, and could get us much needed picks. 

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Just trade them both then. Miller is two years older. Boat anchor contract is not worth it no matter how you cut it.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller will be over 30 when his next contract starts.  That’s why trading him as a rental looks like our only option, and doing so before that last TDL would have returned more than now.  We need draft picks.  Now Bo might have more value, and could get us much needed picks. 

He won't likely be traded as a rental as its in the summer, teams to plan for their long term during summer. Anyone trading for him right now will be based on his willingness to sign a contract extension. If not, Canucks will trade to someone who he is willing to extend with.

7 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I'll admit I know very little about this entire class, but at 15 I am really pulling for Korchinski (LHD). But it looks like most mocks and rankings have him going before us. But he sounds like a great fit. Almost seems like a moderate floor, but high ceiling type pick which is perfect in the mid 1st

I like the other D man Pavel Mintyukov.  He’s bigger and he scored 17 goals  vs. Korchinski’s 4 goals.  We need a high end D man that can contribute goals.  Quinn is already an assist machine.  Plus his first name is Pavel.  Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Toni Ferrari’s updated list 

https://www.wingedwheelpodcast.com/post/2022-nhl-draft-ranking-the-ferrari-cut-the-top-50

Brad Lambert 5

frank nazar 7

Lekkerimaki 15

Gauthier. 17

Mintyukov 21

I don't think Gauther will be there for us at 15, but if he is we better take him.  That guy is going to be at least a 3C, and has potential to be even better.  Alf would quit drinking (milk) if we got this guy.  Get a lot of Mike Pecca vibes with this guy.

18 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

16 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

yes sounds like a solid pick. I won't be heartbroken if not though, he is a LD, and that's one of our strongest areas with QH/OEL/Rathbone coming

10 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I like the other D man Pavel Mintyukov.  He’s bigger and he scored 17 goals  vs. Korchinski’s 4 goals.  We need a high end D man that can contribute goals.  Quinn is already an assist machine.  Plus his first name is Pavel.  Just saying.

I was going to pipe up and say I'm on the Mateychuk train. I like him more because he scored 13 goals ... however I didn't realize Mintyukov had that many. He's also a little bigger. I agree we could really use a dman that can score. It really adds a lot to the dynamic of the team. Currently we have little scoring from the point although Hughes and OEL got 13 between the two of them last year. That was a big step up.

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I was going to pipe up and say I'm on the Mateychuk train. I like him more because he scored 13 goals ... however I didn't realize Mintyukov had that many. He's also a little bigger. I agree we could really use a dman that can score. It really adds a lot to the dynamic of the team. Currently we have little scoring from the point although Hughes and OEL got 13 between the two of them last year. That was a big step up.

I'm in the same boat. 

My wish list for the 15th overall pick: 

1. Pavel Mintyukov 

2. Matvechuk 

3. Danila Yurov 

Kevin Korchinski strikes me as more of a late 1st round kind of pick. 

19 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm in the same boat. 

1. Pavel Mintyukov 

2. Matvechuk 

3. Danila Yurov 

I think you are sleeping on Korchinski a bit, his transition game and ability to move the puck is top notch, has NHL frame as well. If he can improve his shot and defensive game he has top 4 dman written all over him. Mintyukov's 17 goals is very impressive as well and Mateychuk is very well rounded just a little on the small side.

I predict Mintyukov and Korchinski will be gone by 15, but we could still choose from Bichsel, Mateychuk, or Pickering in that scenario.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm in the same boat. 

1. Pavel Mintyukov 

2. Matvechuk 

3. Danila Yurov 

Yeah I like. I agree Korchinski I think is good defensively but I would like more bang for my buck. Yurov has great skill and I like Kulich and Isaac Howard as well. I think Howard might be a darkhorse as one of the top guys to come out of that Team USA class but he's a bit of a reach, and a LW. Blah lol, might look good with Petey in 2-3 years though. I'm also coming around on Gauthier if he is there at 15. 

Should be very exciting ... if we keep the pick. :emot-parrot:

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think you are sleeping on Korchinski a bit, his transition game and ability to move the puck is top notch, has NHL frame as well. If he can improve his shot and defensive game he has top 4 dman written all over him. 

Don't we need a top 15 pick on D to be able to play actual defense? We have puck movers

So you want a LD, who's needs to improve his D, not a guaranteed top 4 guy, and not filling a hole we have????

Dude

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Don't we need a top 15 pick on D to be able to play actual defense? We have puck movers

So you want a LD, who's needs to improve his D, not a guaranteed top 4 guy, and not filling a hole we have????

Dude

I believe Korchinski will get there defensively, he has looked good in the playoffs and has the IQ, size, and skating to become a two way Dman imo. Bruce Boudreau said at some point this season that you cannot have too many Dmen that can effectively move the puck out of the Dzone. I still think people are sleeping om Bichsel and he could be exactly what the Canucks need (does not look fun to play against). 

I think i still have the Dmen outside the top 5 ranked:

1. Korchinski

2. Mintyukov 

3. Mateychuk

4. Bichsel

5. Pickering

6. Luneau

7. Chesley

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1