The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

On 1/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, filthycanuck said:

So you're saying teams are just relying on draft picks making it straight to the roster, and the rest of the draft picks that don't make it, meh to hell with them. Thats fine, if you want to be the Senators, or Sabres, but GOOD teams also get players developed from the farm. Abby clearly hasn't developed much players considering guys like Hunt, Chiasson, Dowling for some reason are employed with the Canucks.

You millenials and your zingers. Try harder.

Well this Gen-Xer gets what he is saying.

One only needs to subscribe to the Athletic to see numerous articles fawning over teams with players in the AHL drafted as far back as 2017..

While you are right developing role players is important they are however the easiest and cheapest to sign or aquire.

The previous regime left us with #1s in every important position.

As for  TB, they won the cup because of their superstar players in every position not because they developed a bunch of bottom six players.

I've used the kings as an example before because they get a lot of love for a deep prospect pool but one can make the argument that their prospect pool is strong because very few have made the leap. 

Until they stick in the NHL they are nothing but magic beans while all our top prospects since 2017 except Rathbone, (a 4th round pick) have all become NHLers and yes guys like Lind, Gadj have stagnated it just shows that until they make the jump all the accolades heaped on AHL stats is pointless.

Take podz for example, several king prospects are ranked higher than him by so called experts based on draft stock and hype, yet none have been good enough to stick. Sure maybe a guy like Turrcotte will somehow justify being the 5th overall pick but as of now his entire hype is based of things he did as a 17- year-old playing on the best USNDP program ever. For me I put more stock in actual NHL games.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Well this Gen-Xer gets what he is saying.

One only needs to subscribe to the Athletic to see numerous articles fawning over teams with players in the AHL drafted as far back as 2017..

While you are right developing role players is important they are however the easiest and cheapest to sign or aquire.

The previous regime left us with #1s in every important position.

As for  TB, they won the cup because of their superstar players in every position not because they developed a bunch of bottom six players.

I've used the kings as an example before because they get a lot of love for a deep prospect pool but one can make the argument that their prospect pool is strong because very few have made the leap. 

Until they stick in the NHL they are nothing but magic beans while all our top prospects since 2017 except Rathbone, (a 4th round pick) have all become NHLers and yes guys like Lind, Gadj have stagnated it just shows that until they make the jump all the accolades heaped on AHL stats is pointless.

Take podz for example, several king prospects are ranked higher than him by so called experts based on draft stock and hype, yet none have been good enough to stick. Sure maybe a guy like Turrcotte will somehow justify being the 5th overall pick but as of now his entire hype is based of things he did as a 17- year-old playing on the best USNDP program ever. For me I put more stock in actual NHL games.

Thats my whole point of why there is something wrong with the farm. Abby/ Utica hasn't churned out enough players that are actually sticking in the Canucks roster. Brisbois, now gone Rafferty, Chatfield, the list goes on and on, guys that just had their toes in the water but never turned out to be everyday players here. Like you said, prospects are just magic beans, whether they were drafted in the 1st or 6th round, they mean nothing to the teams success unless they play actual games

As for your TB comparison, actually quite of their stars have had a stint in their farm club, some bigger than others. Kucherov played in Syracuse, Palat, Cirelli, and Brayden Point, all graduated from the farm to the bigs. Look at the TB roster last season, you'll find theres many players played for Syracuse, and a majority of them are mid round picks.If you recall, that same core got swept 3 years ago and proceeded to win 2 straight after not just because of the stars. They played a big part, but TB made some savvy deals along the way and signed players that massively contributed to those cup wins. Marroon, Schenn, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow played big roles on those wins. Saying that superstar players are the only thing that matters and to hell with the rest of the roster is a weak excuse or else Crosby, Malkin , Ovechkin, Kuznetsov in the peak of their careers should've been in the finals annually. Matthews, Draistl, Marner, all are top end players, theyve never even come close to being in the finals. Superstars defintely help with accelerating a team's chance for success but its not the be all and all. The rest of the roster still matters

Edited by filthycanuck
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:15 AM, Kovalchuk said:

Anyone the least bit worried?  He's young yeah but he's got just 2 goals in his last 34 games.  These are Virtanen esque AHL stats

God Virtanen was bad,

Not worried at all about Klimovie's AHL numbers this season. 

There's a big difference...Virtanen is an immature, narcissistic monkey on skates with no respect for the sport of hockey whose only priority was macking on as many unsuspecting young women as he could, while Klimovie appears to be a young man of character who takes his craft seriously.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Feel like that should be Podkolzin’s nickname. Podzilla works better I feel. I also have been calling him Vasili Putsgoalzin which I quite like!

You're right about that.  I love the nickname Klimovie, as @RomanP has mentioned.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thats my whole point of why there is something wrong with the farm. Abby/ Utica hasn't churned out enough players that are actually sticking in the Canucks roster. Brisbois, now gone Rafferty, Chatfield, the list goes on and on, guys that just had their toes in the water but never turned out to be everyday players here. Like you said, prospects are just magic beans, whether they were drafted in the 1st or 6th round, they mean nothing to the teams success unless they play actual games

As for your TB comparison, actually quite of their stars have had a stint in their farm club, some bigger than others. Kucherov played in Syracuse, Palat, Cirelli, and Brayden Point, all graduated from the farm to the bigs. Look at the TB roster last season, you'll find theres many players played for Syracuse, and a majority of them are mid round picks.If you recall, that same core got swept 3 years ago and proceeded to win 2 straight after not just because of the stars. They played a big part, but TB made some savvy deals along the way and signed players that massively contributed to those cup wins. Marroon, Schenn, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow played big roles on those wins. Saying that superstar players are the only thing that matters and to hell with the rest of the roster is a weak excuse or else Crosby, Malkin , Ovechkin, Kuznetsov in the peak of their careers should've been in the finals annually. Matthews, Draistl, Marner, all are top end players, theyve never even come close to being in the finals. Superstars defintely help with accelerating a team's chance for success but its not the be all and all. The rest of the roster still matters

Jon Cooper as well...coached Syracuse to Calder Cup championship.  Organizations that win the Calder Cup with their young upstarts/prospects and have them graduate to the NHL is a winning formula. 

The notion of creating a "winning culture" with a bunch of washed up/fringe NHLers at the cost of giving prospects ice time like Benning, Esche, Green, Cull, Johnson, Conacher has tried to do is for losers.  Who cares if Abby wins the Calder Cup with Petan, DiGuiseppe, Dries, Rempal, Stephens, Stevens, Bowie, etc.?  Not me.  I'd rather see Woo, Rathbone, Klimovich, Juulsen, Brisebois, etc. play in all situations and sh!t the bed if it helps with their development and better positions them for NHL careers.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The empty-net goal from last game seems to have given him some confidence. He scored a goal in the first period today:

Its been rough when he has been saddled on the fourth line rotating between Arseneau, Focht/Nielsen, and Lukosevicious.

Hopefully he can go on a stretch of good hockey here. Its been a tough transition to prohockey. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Danila Klimovich scored his sixth goal of the season. He has goals in back-to-back games. He also had six shots, which tied for the team lead with Sheldon Rempal last night.

This kid has potential... I'm really hopeful that JR/PA know how to properly setup a development program for these guys based on their history in Pittsburgh.  Develop develop develop until they're more than 110% ready for the NHL. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

This kid has potential... I'm really hopeful that JR/PA know how to properly setup a development program for these guys based on their history in Pittsburgh.  Develop develop develop until they're more than 110% ready for the NHL. 

We also probably don't want him going back to Belarus for KHL development with everything that's going on there now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RomanP said:

We also probably don't want him going back to Belarus for KHL development with everything that's going on there now.

I hope he stays over here and trains in Canada during the off season if things have not improved back home. The same applies to Vasily. I feel they would be better served to not return home the way things are right now.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:03 AM, filthycanuck said:

Thats not guaranteed. Lind, Gaudette and Gadjovich were all good players in the farm, all are barely playing as we speak. People should temper their expectations on young players thinking just because their doing well in the lower leagues, doesn't necessarily mean theyre NHL bound. The farm had enough time to develop Lind, Gadj and to a lesser extent Juolevi so theres clearly something wrong down there. Hopefully JR and Alvin will fix the situation. But yeah, Id rather see Lockwood up here rather than that trash Chiasson

It should be mentioned that Benning/Green are to be blamed for this. Green is not really a proven coach, even in the AHL, and Benning gambled everything on him.

They tried to mirror the NHL team with the AHL, and we saw mediocre to poor results.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1