The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure who I’d put between them, but Klimovich (RH shot) and McDonough (LH shot) on the wings would be a couple really potent shooting options for a future line. Also both have really good size.

I would put the Swedes and the Russians together:

Höglander     Pettersson    Boeser

Podkolzin      Horvat          Klimovich

Mcdonough   Miller            Garland

That would be a sick top 9.  We could also trade Miller for help on D and play Dickinson as a 3C.  And Pearson could stick around for one more year if Mcdonough isn't ready or he could be trade bait as well.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would put the Swedes and the Russians together:

Höglander     Pettersson    Boeser

Podkolzin      Horvat          Klimovich

Mcdonough   Miller            Garland

That would be a sick top 9.  We could also trade Miller for help on D and play Dickinson as a 3C.  And Pearson could stick around for one more year if Mcdonough isn't ready or he could be trade bait as well.  

I see Miller as trade bait this offseason to acquire a top level RD or another 1st round draft pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I see Miller as trade bait this offseason to acquire a top level RD or another 1st round draft pick. 

In 2 years we will need to re-sign Horvat, Miller and Höglander.  I don't think there will be enough money to go around.  Miller would be the odd man out from those 3.  If Klimovich can make the Canucks next year then we could trade Miller in the offseason for some D help.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In 2 years we will need to re-sign Horvat, Miller and Höglander.  I don't think there will be enough money to go around.  Miller would be the odd man out from those 3.  If Klimovich can make the Canucks next year then we could trade Miller in the offseason for some D help.

I was thinking more along the lines of Aidan Mcdonough, guy is an absolutely lethal shooter. I think he is the next steal for us. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure I agree with you.  Horvat makes 5.5, I can't see him getting north of 8 on a long term deal.  Miller is at 5.25, again, not sure he gets much more than 7.  I'm not sure they make much more than 4$ mil more combines than what they are at.  We have the buyouts, Ferland and Halaks bonus coming off at the same time, and the cap will again be on the rise..  If they move Miller, it will be to improve the D, not because of $.

Hoglander will almost certainly be on a bridge deal, how big is still a long way from being determined

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, KKnight said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Aidan Mcdonough, guy is an absolutely lethal shooter. I think he is the next steal for us. 

Mcdonough could be a Pearson replacement, so there is room for both Klimovich and Mcdonough for sure.  And we will need the cap space so I'm hoping both these young players make the big club over the next 2 years.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Not sure I agree with you.  Horvat makes 5.5, I can't see him getting north of 8 on a long term deal.  Miller is at 5.25, again, not sure he gets much more than 7.  I'm not sure they make much more than 4$ mil more combines than what they are at.  We have the buyouts, Ferland and Halaks bonus coming off at the same time, and the cap will again be on the rise..  If they move Miller, it will be to improve the D, not because of $.

Hoglander will almost certainly be on a bridge deal, how big is still a long way from being determined

Horvat and Miller will be UFA's so their contract terms will not be controlled by the Canucks.  It will be an open market for both of them.  BO as our captain and leader will be the priority and I think he will do everything he can to stay with us;  Probably an 8x8 deal or something close.  Höglander's next contract could be north of $4 million if he continues to develop over the next 2 years.  Also, Boeser needs a new deal next year as well, so he's looking at an 8x8 deal at minimum, maybe more.  So Boeser's contract will already eat up any extra cap space we will have for next summer.

So that leaves Miller.  Miller was not drafted by Benning and has already been traded twice, so he doesn't have the same loyalty to Vancouver as the others.  If there is a bidding war for his services then there is a good chance we won't be able to afford him.  Ferland's LTIR is not extra money for us as we are already using it to be cap compliant.  That money will simply come off the books and our cap will drop by that amont.

At the end of the day, between Boeser, Horvat, Miller and Höglander we are looking at roughly $10 million that will be needed over the next 2 years.  That doesn't include small bumps to other guys like Rathbine, Lammikko, etc.  I don't think there is room to sign them all.  Miller would be the odd man out and by leaving him out it frees up the money needed to shore up the D. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat and Miller will be UFA's so their contract terms will not be controlled by the Canucks.  It will be an open market for both of them.  BO as our captain and leader will be the priority and I think he will do everything he can to stay with us;  Probably an 8x8 deal or something close.  Höglander's next contract could be north of $4 million if he continues to develop over the next 2 years.  Also, Boeser needs a new deal next year as well, so he's looking at an 8x8 deal at minimum, maybe more.  So Boeser's contract will already eat up any extra cap space we will have for next summer.

So that leaves Miller.  Miller was not drafted by Benning and has already been traded twice, so he doesn't have the same loyalty to Vancouver as the others.  If there is a bidding war for his services then there is a good chance we won't be able to afford him.  Ferland's LTIR is not extra money for us as we are already using it to be cap compliant.  That money will simply come off the books and our cap will drop by that amont.

At the end of the day, between Boeser, Horvat, Miller and Höglander we are looking at roughly $10 million that will be needed over the next 2 years.  That doesn't include small bumps to other guys like Rathbine, Lammikko, etc.  I don't think there is room to sign them all.  Miller would be the odd man out and by leaving him out it frees up the money needed to shore up the D. 

The Canucks absolutely control their pending UFA's contract terms.  They have a full calendar year to negotiate before it is an open market.  Whether they find common ground is an entirely different thing.  I'd be shocked if either of them played the last year on an expiring deal.

Ferland's LTIR $ becomes far more liquid once he is off the books.

You are omitting the possibility of any other moves being made over the next two seasons.  Maybe we trade Myers, or buyout Pearson, or trade Hughes.  We don't know, I certainly don't expect us to be in the same spot in 2 years as we are now.  Who would have ever thought we could open up 16 mil in space this offseason dealing dead weight and with buyouts.  Miller could be dealt, or he could walk, or be re signed in the next two years.  To assume that our top scorer is a likely cap casualty 2 years in advance is jumping the gun a bit though. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BCNate said:

The Canucks absolutely control their pending UFA's contract terms.  They have a full calendar year to negotiate before it is an open market.  Whether they find common ground is an entirely different thing.  I'd be shocked if either of them played the last year on an expiring deal.

Ferland's LTIR $ becomes far more liquid once he is off the books.

You are omitting the possibility of any other moves being made over the next two seasons.  Maybe we trade Myers, or buyout Pearson, or trade Hughes.  We don't know, I certainly don't expect us to be in the same spot in 2 years as we are now.  Who would have ever thought we could open up 16 mil in space this offseason dealing dead weight and with buyouts.  Miller could be dealt, or he could walk, or be re signed in the next two years.  To assume that our top scorer is a likely cap casualty 2 years in advance is jumping the gun a bit though. 

Those are fair points. Anything can happen really. I don’t think Hughes is going anywhere. I can see Horvat re-signing prior to hitting the open market. 

I’m just not sure Miller will do the same thing.  I could be wrong though. IF we did need to free up cap space though I think Miller is the odd man out. Also, if he does want to wait until free agency to shop his services it may be best to trade before that happens him so we get an asset in return. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1