The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On what planet is Danila Klimovich in the same category as Jake Virtanen?  The only thing they have in common is I hear they both speak Russian, one fluently the other one knows how to say hi...

100% agree. This is how bs starting - someone throws some bs claim and it starts snowballing. There’s only one problem in this case - I’m watching this thread closely and will defend the kids vigorously ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played only 60 games in his rookie season, of course he wouldn't be top of the goal list during that year.  :lol:

Pavel Bure is ranked 3rd overall in NHL history in goals scored per game (minimum 500 games played).  He is ahead of Wayne Gretzky and Alexander Ovechkin.  If that is not a generational talent then I don't know what is.  McDavid and Ovechkin don't play the same way as Bure did.  Nobody does.  He was one of a kind.  One of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history.  Definitely a generational talent.

All time NHL goals per game leaders (minimum 500 games played):

1.  Mike Bossy

2.  Mario Lemieux

3.  Pavel Bure

4.  Alex Ovechkin

5.  Wayne Gretzky

6.  Brett Hull

7. Bobby Hull

Every one of those players is a generational talent...

LOL just the fact you managed to squeeze Pavel with those greats is embarrassing. Seriously? Comparing 6 legendary players who went in the HOF as first ballots and the only thing you can hang your hat on is "goals per game"?. Nice try homer. You know, Cam Neely is not that far off from Bobby Hull, I guess by your metric, he should be considered "generational" too. You're bar for what you would call generational is incredibly low

Yeah you're right McDavid and Ovechkin don't play the game the way Pavel did. They are better than him. McDavid has had stretches and still probably is in the realm of best player in the planet, a cut above everybody else, Pavel cant stake that claim. Ovie has the longevity and has proven he's still a premier scorer in the league and is about to break one of the greatest records. To even compare Pavel to those guys is assenine

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL just the fact you managed to squeeze Pavel with those greats is embarrassing. Seriously? Comparing 6 legendary players who went in the HOF as first ballots and the only thing you can hang your hat on is "goals per game"?. Nice try homer. You know, Cam Neely is not that far off from Bobby Hull, I guess by your metric, he should be considered "generational" too. You're bar for what you would call generational is incredibly low

Yeah you're right McDavid and Ovechkin don't play the game the way Pavel did. They are better than him. McDavid has had stretches and still probably is in the realm of best player in the planet, a cut above everybody else, Pavel cant stake that claim. Ovie has the longevity and has proven he's still a premier scorer in the league and is about to break one of the greatest records. To even compare Pavel to those guys is assenine

Pavel Bure was honored as one of the 100 greatest players in NHL history by the NHL in 2017.  Cam Neely isn't even on the list.  

100 Greatest NHL Players | NHL.com

So using the metric of goals per game is inadequate?  Why?  Because it doesn't suit your agenda? 

What about players who have scored 60+ goals in the NHL?  Another sold metric to compare goal scorers of different eras.  Guess what?  Bure is only one of 8 players in NHL history to score 60 goals at least two times.  The others?

60+ goal scorers in NHL history (two times or more):

1.  Wayne Gretzky - 5

2.  Mike Bossy - 5

3.  Mario Lemieux - 4

4.  Brett Hull - 3

5.  Phil Esposito - 3

6.  Pavel Bure - 2

7.  Steve Yzerman - 2

8.  Jari Kurri - 2

Why do you keep trying to compare Bure to McDavid and Ovechkin?  Who cares?  They are all generational players.  It's embarrassing to compare Bure to the other greats on the NHL's list of 100 greatest players?  The only thing that is embarrassing is reading your posts...

• Thanks 4

I will only make ONE post  on the Bure vs Ovechkin argument here seeing as this IS a Klimovich thread, but if Bure was more healthy, this wouldn’t even (my opinion, again, my opinion) be an issue (whether he should be lumped in that elusive group).  Ovechkin managing to have a more healthy career gives him to me an edge over Bure.

Course with a player like Bobby Orr who had the same injury issues (when there wasn’t nearly the same medical/injury treatment advances), not many will argue (except Potvin himself lol) who is the greatest D of all time.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, RomanP said:

Where did this comparison come from? Please give me one thing that Danila displayed that would remind even remotely of Virtanen’s issues.

Do you even read about incoming players and their traits? it's well known he has a temper problem. That's a mind issue (lack of maturity) that needs to be addressed but let's hope it gets taken care of and it helps him along. We can't afford another JV.. 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Do you even read about incoming players and their traits? it's well known he has a temper problem. That's a mind issue (lack of maturity) that needs to be addressed but let's hope it gets taken care of and it helps him along. We can't afford another JV.. 

You see, instead of reading something written by others, I actually know the kid in person. There's no temper problem here. not even close. He's only occasionally hard on himself if something doesn't work out, which is absolutely normal for a high performance athlete at 18 years old. But you can continue reading... This is exactly how unfounded rumors begin.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Tell me you're too young to have watched Pavel Bure without telling me you're too young to have watched Pavel Bure. :P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

McDavid can do McDavid things because people can't clutch and grab him like they did in Bure's time. McDavid whines like a baby now, if he was treated like Bure was he'd need therapy. 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

When Bure hit the league and was healthy he was the most skilled player. He could do things at high speed that no one else could do. His fitness level was upto todays standards. He was special. 

Injuries caught up with him quickly.

Nowadays there are lots of players with his talents. High level of fitness is expected out of everyone. Today he would be a top six forward. He would not be a franchise player .  

That is the way I see it.   

5 hours ago, RomanP said:

You see, instead of reading something written by others, I actually know the kid in person. There's no temper problem here. not even close. He's only occasionally hard on himself if something doesn't work out, which is absolutely normal for a high performance athlete at 18 years old. But you can continue reading... This is exactly how unfounded rumors begin.

So you knew him all his life and those were just rumours made up from some schmuck from hockey db and other sites who professionally write? 

9 hours ago, Deets said:

Tell me you're too young to have watched Pavel Bure without telling me you're too young to have watched Pavel Bure. :P

Ive seen Pavel MANY times live and on tv. Hell, I was probably one of the few guys thats seen Pavel live which I believe was his first visit, and might have been his only visit back to Vancouver as a Panther. I don't think ive even needed to youtube Pavel's highlights as a Canucks as most Ive already seen in the sportsdesk, sportspage and the early parts of sportsnet days

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pavel Bure was honored as one of the 100 greatest players in NHL history by the NHL in 2017.  Cam Neely isn't even on the list.  

100 Greatest NHL Players | NHL.com

So using the metric of goals per game is inadequate?  Why?  Because it doesn't suit your agenda? 

What about players who have scored 60+ goals in the NHL?  Another sold metric to compare goal scorers of different eras.  Guess what?  Bure is only one of 8 players in NHL history to score 60 goals at least two times.  The others?

60+ goal scorers in NHL history (two times or more):

1.  Wayne Gretzky - 5

2.  Mike Bossy - 5

3.  Mario Lemieux - 4

4.  Brett Hull - 3

5.  Phil Esposito - 3

6.  Pavel Bure - 2

7.  Steve Yzerman - 2

8.  Jari Kurri - 2

Why do you keep trying to compare Bure to McDavid and Ovechkin?  Who cares?  They are all generational players.  It's embarrassing to compare Bure to the other greats on the NHL's list of 100 greatest players?  The only thing that is embarrassing is reading your posts...

You know what generational means right? A generation is 10 years, the fact that you mentioned like what? 5 or 7 guys in a "generation" means your bar is pretty damn low. Seriously, Jari Kurri? generational? Who's delusional now? Whatever you say homer.

Nobody cares what you think, eh eh Jack Rathbone , hes a top 4 Dman this year blah blah, all you spew is garbage with your rose colored glasses, you make every draft pick we have sound like they are going to be all stars. Ive mentioned before, you claim to have seen Bure and all these other guys play and yet the username you can come up with is Elias Pettersson LOL geez, you ain't fooling anybody millenial

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Deets said:

Good Lord. Quite possibly the worst take I've ever read on this forum. Bure was one of the most exciting goal scorers to have played the game. He did the things McDavid is praised for, 30 years ago while getting slashed and grabbed to oblivion. Top 3 pure goal scorer of all time. The three B's. Bossy, Bure, Brett(Hull)

Unless you are just using hockeydb as your baseline,sorry to disappoint, Bure isn't even in same realm of Mario in the goal scoring dept. Whatever Bure can do, Mario can do better with half the effort. Im a Gretzky fanboy ( i own like 60 cards of his, public disclaimer), but I'll admit, Mario Lemieux is probably the greatest player Ive ever seen play

7 hours ago, appleboy said:

When Bure hit the league and was healthy he was the most skilled player. He could do things at high speed that no one else could do. His fitness level was upto todays standards. He was special. 

Injuries caught up with him quickly.

Nowadays there are lots of players with his talents. High level of fitness is expected out of everyone. Today he would be a top six forward. He would not be a franchise player .  

That is the way I see it.   

I think Bure would still be a top line player especially with the new age fitness, the vastly improved technology in the equipment. People can bark all they want that Pavel had to do it in an era with clutching and grabbing, they don't realize that the defencemen this era , some can probably skate as well, if not better than him. In Bure's days, he was skating around guys like Scott Stevens, Derian Hatcher, Al Macinnis, Rob Blake etc, flat footed Dmen that would not survive in todays game (maybe Big Al would with his shot)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JM_ said:

McDavid can do McDavid things because people can't clutch and grab him like they did in Bure's time. McDavid whines like a baby now, if he was treated like Bure was he'd need therapy. 

Defencemen can skate a lot better now than they did back then, so you can't really say Pavel would make todays Dmen look like pylons. Add to the fact that todays player, most treat hockey as a 365 day/ 7 days a week job where they train year around, not to mention all the nutritional advances, todays players are probably just as fit as Pavel was back in his heyday