The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remaining Moves to Complete Roster for 21-22 Season

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

Well done. There's really nothing I can add aside from personal nitpicks, such as I think Garland would be better served playing on Bo's right wing. And I find it hard to believe he will take a sub $4 mil contract. I really hope he signs at that cap hit. 

I don't think Seattle trades Appleton for Holtby personally, they could have just selected Holtby for nothing, and can't speak for the other trade since I don't know if Anaheim likes this, but Josh Manson is a great target to acquire.

Jani Hakanpaa is a very underrated signing and I hope we seriously pursue that!

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Bo Dega said:

Vancouver is starting to look like a team.

I really like Bostons approach to moneymanagement, "sign here if you want to have a chance at the cup every year, sign elsewhere if you want the big money".

9x6 million for Makar is insane, he probably is the best young D in the league but playing with the best line in hockey...I`m pretty sure Heiskanen, Dahlin, Quinn and others would look equally good if they did that. Now the Avs will loose Grubauer or/and Landeskog most likely and become a worse team.

Toronto is the worst example, you would think winning a cup means more than money but that`s probably just me being naive.

Would you rather retire a three time champion like Hjalmarsson just did or is it the richest guy who is the winner? I sure would prefer seeing my name on the cup over a couple of more million in the bank.

Bridge deals for Quinn and Petey, sensible ones please.

This is such a good post and I couldn’t agree more.  You’re absolutely right about the Boston model by the way.

The “Boston model” has never been about bringing in guys that are 6’3 220 lbs that can blow other men into the boards as seems to be the misguided mantra amongst a few hockey pundits.   The ‘Boston model,’ as you described it, is about bringing in guys that are committed to working hard and are committed to winning cups even if it means accepting less money for the greater good.  We sometimes forget that Boston could have won three cups over the last decade. Love em or hate em, that is a solid management group over there that consistently sign great players at even greater term and money.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Well done. There's really nothing I can add aside from personal nitpicks, such as I think Garland would be better served playing on Bo's right wing. And I find it hard to believe he will take a sub $4 mil contract. I really hope he signs at that cap hit. 

I don't think Seattle trades Appleton for Holtby personally, they could have just selected Holtby for nothing, and can't speak for the other trade since I don't know if Anaheim likes this, but Josh Manson is a great target to acquire.

Jani Hakanpaa is a very underrated signing and I hope we seriously pursue that!

I don’t mind Hakanpa but my hope is that the Canucks can somehow find a way to bring in a younger and longer term RD defensive defenseman that can be a part of our core for much longer.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Bo Dega said:

Vancouver is starting to look like a team.

I really like Bostons approach to moneymanagement, "sign here if you want to have a chance at the cup every year, sign elsewhere if you want the big money".

9x6 million for Makar is insane, he probably is the best young D in the league but playing with the best line in hockey...I`m pretty sure Heiskanen, Dahlin, Quinn and others would look equally good if they did that. Now the Avs will loose Grubauer or/and Landeskog most likely and become a worse team.

Toronto is the worst example, you would think winning a cup means more than money but that`s probably just me being naive.

Would you rather retire a three time champion like Hjalmarsson just did or is it the richest guy who is the winner? I sure would prefer seeing my name on the cup over a couple of more million in the bank.

Bridge deals for Quinn and Petey, sensible ones please.

TBay is the same as Boston with respect to contracts.  No team with even one 10 mil per contract has won a Cup.  Toronto has three.  

Seth Jones getting 9.5 is insane.  First the ?Hawks give up ?Boqvist and high picks, and then they give Jones a crazy contract. They are killing any chance to win.

Benning dumped his bad contracts, and brought in a top four D, and a top six winger.  It cost Geunther.  That’s a massive win.  I really don’t think we need to do a heck of a lot more.  Just thank goodness we didn’t do like the Hawks.  

• Cheers 1

You got pontiac...those type of character players with some real toughness with some skill and good off ice on ice is what they need..let the skill players play and when things get chippy or any bad hits or cheap shots then you answer the bell...ive been asking jim to do this for years....he should stop getting too many draft players that never really get to the nhl  also..draft guys that going to useful..

Edited by hockeygod77

I’d explore if we could trade Podkolzin for a RHS D equivalent like Schneider from NY. 
There doesn’t seem like a spot to grow into with the acquisition of Garland.

That would be my chip to acquire a young RHD to play with Hughes.

Go after Hakanpaa in free agency pretty hard. 
Trade Schmidt and Holtby for cap space to take advantage of teams like Tampa and acquire better value due to the space. 

Sounds like it's a real possibility that VAN signs Khaira. If so, the Canucks will be a much tougher team to play against. 

Old Bottom 6

Roussel - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

New Bottom 6

Hoglander - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Khaira - MacEwen

oh yes, much tougher to play against

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like it's a real possibility that VAN signs Khaira. If so, the Canucks will be a much tougher team to play against. 

Old Bottom 6

Roussel - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

New Bottom 6

Hoglander - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Motte - Khaira - MacEwen

oh yes, much tougher to play against

Seriously look at that 3rd line:wub:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’d explore if we could trade Podkolzin for a RHS D equivalent like Schneider from NY. 
There doesn’t seem like a spot to grow into with the acquisition of Garland.

That would be my chip to acquire a young RHD to play with Hughes.

Go after Hakanpaa in free agency pretty hard. 
Trade Schmidt and Holtby for cap space to take advantage of teams like Tampa and acquire better value due to the space. 

Where do you see Pearson long term?  I see him on the 3rd line and Podz in the top 6

16 hours ago, Timråfan said:

One question, is it even possible to sign Petey as a Centre for less than 9 mill nowadays?

Since Makar got 9 mill for 6 year 9 mill for Petey is close to team friendly. 

Makar is arguably the best at his position in the entire league at this very moment.   

Petey is probably somewhere between the 5th to 15th best at his position at this very moment

Elite defensemen get paid more then elite centers. 

So for those reasons, Petey's reasonable and fair contract would be in the 7 to 7.5 mil range on a 3 year deal.  If it was a 6 year deal I could see it going over 8.  

Why in gods name would you move Hawryluk? I thought he played really well for us in a bad 

year and was just starting to hit his stride. You dont just move names just to move names

you need to examine what you have and get a good idea as to what is there with the player

before you move him. Hawryluk needs a few more years with us to be sure what we have.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Benning has done a good job so far this offseason. Personally like the recent acquisitions of Ekman-Larson & Garland along with creating some cap flexibility.

imho the remaining items to address going into the season (not in a particular order) are:

1. add size and physicality on defense. Ideally right shots to complement our puck moving LHD

2. Resign Pettersson and Hughes to cap friendly deals to allow for some flexibility.

3. add size on the bottom forward group

4. Russian player to help Podkolzin acclimate to team/off ice (one that fits within our 22 - 26 core age group)

5. add a bottom forward center that is good at pk with character

The below moves allows us to address these aforementioned needs:

TRADES:

a.. Move Nate Schmidt & Jayce Hawryluk to Ana for Josh Mason & Alexander  Volkov. moves helps accomplish 1 & 4 on the list of to dos. 

b. Move Braden Holtby to Sea for Mason Appleton. Add a late draft pick (2023 3 or 4th) to facilitate trade. Sea gets a veteran to mentor young goalies. Van gains some cap flexibility.

RFA Signing:

a. resign Pettersson to a 5 - 7yr aav of approximately $7million

b. resign Q Hughes to a $6million aav for 5yrs

c. resign Juolevi to $950k - $1million aav for 2yrs

d. resign Conor Garland to a 2-3 yr on a $3.75million aav

e. resign Jason Dickinson to a $2.5miilion aav 2 - 3yr term

UFA Signing:

a. resign Travis Hamonic to a $2.5million aav for 2-3yrs.

b. resign Brandon Sutter at a $1million aav for 1-2yrs (good locker room presence and penalty killer)

c. sign Jani Hakanpaa to a 2yr $1million aav.

d. sign a Veteran goalie in Devan Dubnyk (could have a Stella season behind a D structure)

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
23 $81,500,000 $80,860,659 $648,780 $1,050,000

$639,341

Roll 4 productive lines (Each line features a playmaking scorer)

Line 1A:      J.T Miller - Elias Pettersson - Conor Garland

Conor Garland - Can score goals but is at his best when setting up linemates, mostly because of excellent vision and passing skills. Great complementary piece allowing us to move Boeser to another line. Strong along the walls (like Toffoli was with us), drives the net and good setup man from behind the net.

Line 1B:    Vasily Podkolzin - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Vasily Podkolzin - playmaker to setup Boeser and has good one-one skills along with a power game.

Line 3A:    Tanner Pearson - Jason Dickinson - Nils Hoglander

Nil Hoglander - playmaker and glue guy. Pretty much our second line this past season with Dickinson replacing Horvat on the line.

Line 3B:    Tyler Motte - Brandon Sutter - Mason Appleton

Appleton - Owns excellent playmaking ability, but he can also score goals by himself. Tends to make his linemates better whenever he is on the ice

Extras: Alexander Volkov - Zack MacEwen

Defensive Pairs with a puck mover and size on each

PAIR 1: Quinn Hughes - Josh Manson (Myers can sub in for offensive starts)

PAIR 2; Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Travis Hamonic (Match up pair)

PAIR 3: Olli Juolevi - Tyler Myers

Extra: Jani Hakanpaa (start Rathbone in the minors. First call up to replace a LHD puck mover)

Goalies: Thatcher Demko & Devan Dubnyk

Power Play 1

Boeser, B.
Miller, J.
Pettersson, E.

Hughes, Q.
Ekman-Larsson, O.

Power Play 2

Garland, C.
Horvat, B.
Podkolzin, V.

Höglander, N.
Myers, T.

Penalty Kill 1

Sutter, B.
Motte, T.

Ekman-Larsson, O.
Manson, J.

Penalty Kill 2

Dickinson, J.
Pearson, T.

Juolevi, O.
Hamonic, T.

my first thought is to keep Holtby, if Thatch (heaven forbid) gets injured, I'd rather have a guy like Holtby, who got his game back in spades, and I disagree with Podz being labelled a trigger man, that kid can snipe bigtime, when your developing and have linemates that can't read plays very well, it's super hard to put pucks in the net but now he'll have professionals instead of that.

All we really need now is work on D but we could haggle a trade if need be and moving Smitty isn't going to happen I don't think, anddddd what a crap season to be new on a team under the craziest circumstances the world has ever seen, pretty sure it was just a hiccup and Canucks nation can just relax..

Edited by iceman64
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Makar is arguably the best at his position in the entire league at this very moment.   

Petey is probably somewhere between the 5th to 15th best at his position at this very moment

Elite defensemen get paid more then elite centers. 

So for those reasons, Petey's reasonable and fair contract would be in the 7 to 7.5 mil range on a 3 year deal.  If it was a 6 year deal I could see it going over 8.  

couldn't have said it better myself plus this, I can see a bridge deal backend loaded so it gives time for cap increases to help since increases are so uncertain atm, same with Hughes I imagine.. pretty sure Jimbo will make it happen, seems like he's gotten a lot better negotiating but in my mind he just made us a lot better with OEL on the backend and Dickinson last week were some pretty decent moves, Garland as well but seems to me that JB is after another experienced top 4 RHD we should be playoff bound next season if he pulls it off especially if Podz comes in and at least plays well at the 200 ft  game and makes some impact, it should be a interesting season..

11 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Why in gods name would you move Hawryluk? I thought he played really well for us in a bad 

year and was just starting to hit his stride. You dont just move names just to move names

you need to examine what you have and get a good idea as to what is there with the player

before you move him. Hawryluk needs a few more years with us to be sure what we have.

Hawryluk not qualified