The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remaining Moves to Complete Roster for 21-22 Season

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm glad we got rid of Rafferty, Teves, and Chatfield, what a waste of time that crew was. I hope we resign Ham and grab us Hakpapa or Nemeth. 

The last 2 , Teves and Chatfield are easilly replaced, Rafferty is a mystery to me. He did every thing asked of him in the AHL comes up here takes maky a half dozen shift and his career with Vcr is over. There's more to this story. Think for instance how long they percevered with Virtanen or even Hawryluk or Michaelis. Rafferty one game half a dozen shifts ????    I'm missing some thing, maybe he told Green where to go :lol: Any way I suspect he'll find a job else where

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The last 2 , Teves and Chatfield are easilly replaced, Rafferty is a mystery to me. He did every thing asked of him in the AHL comes up here takes maky a half dozen shift and his career with Vcr is over. There's more to this story. Think for instance how long they percevered with Virtanen or even Hawryluk or Michaelis. Rafferty one game half a dozen shifts ????    I'm missing some thing, maybe he told Green where to go :lol: Any way I suspect he'll find a job else where

Did you see him in that game last year? Rafferty was a deer caught in the headlights.

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Did you see him in that game last year? Rafferty was a deer caught in the headlights.

I didn't notice that, but stage fright is not exclusive to Rafferty and I did see him play live in the two games when he was signed as a FA and his skill simply jumped off the page

It's not any of these young defenseman in particular but the style of defenseman that we need. We've got tons of skill guys. We need a couple of crease clearers, some bodies with toughness that adds a deterrent to those parties interested in face washing our young skill guys. Especially in the playoffs. 

Let's go off the board as well. Ask our European scouts to send us a couple of walk ons for training camp. 6'4" 220 lb minimum 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

We are buying out Holtby and did not sign Kielly.   

Appears we will need to fill out the goaltending depth now.  I have no issue running Demko and Dipietro if those are the best two goalies.  But Abby needs goalies and we need injury back up.  I know we have a couple more but I dont really see any NHL injury replacement or competition for Dipietro.  

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There could still be some cap issues down the road, especially with Boeser being a RFA next year. What are the chances they trade Brock? or Miller?

I think this answer depends on whether we move Schmidt and if we can replace him with two low cap defensemen on shorter terms.  At this moment I think Miller is most likely gone if we can't make things work out. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think this answer depends on whether we move Schmidt and if we can replace him with two low cap defensemen on shorter terms.  At this moment I think Miller is most likely gone if we can't make things work out. 

Plus the cap may go up next year. 

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There could still be some cap issues down the road, especially with Boeser being a RFA next year. What are the chances they trade Brock? or Miller?

Luongo's cap recapture penalty is off the books next season. That's an extra 3M that could be used for the increment.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's not any of these young defenseman in particular but the style of defenseman that we need. We've got tons of skill guys. We need a couple of crease clearers, some bodies with toughness that adds a deterrent to those parties interested in face washing our young skill guys. Especially in the playoffs. 

Let's go off the board as well. Ask our European scouts to send us a couple of walk ons for training camp. 6'4" 220 lb minimum 

Yes exactly. Right now there is not much to fear for any offensive player coming into our D zone. We need to change that so that the opposition know they are going to have to pay a price. Edler always played a hard game but he's way too slow now. Hamonic is feisty, but we need at least one more big body

• Like 1

We have almost all the pieces in place. need to ink them.

without moving Schmidt

Pettersson 7,5M x 4y

Hughes 6,5M x 4y

Hamonic 2,9M x 2y

Dickinson 2.5M x 2y

Sutter 1.5 M x 1y

Juolevi 1,2 M x 1y

Ilya Sorokin 1,5M x 2y  (Russian guy for Podkolzin, good backup)  NOTE : erf just so he was a RFA and not an UFA. 

total : 23.6M 

57 858 683

my 21-22 Roster :

Miller Petterson Garland

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Sutter MacEwen

Highmore

call up : Lockwood

OEL Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

rotate Rathbone and Juolevi all year.

Demko

Sorokin

Total hit : 81.5M.

space under the cap : 0 ;) 

If we managed to move Schmidt : target Savard 3,5M x3y

OEL Savard

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

Juolevi

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

If we managed to move Schmidt : target Savard 3,5M x3y

Love the target. If we could get him for 3.5, I'd do that immediately. Hughes needs a guy like Savard keeping things secure back there, and offering a bit of deterrent for anyone who wishes to take liberties.

• Like 1

Virtanen = upgraded via Garland

Schmidt = upgraded via OEL (only 1m difference)

Beagle = upgraded via Dickenson

Roussel = replaced by Highmore

Holtby = replaced by...?? TBD

Eriksson = thank god - he's gone

Edler = TBD maybe Schenn??

All in all. A tidy bit of work. Made some serious upgrades and removed some inneffiecent contracts well replacing them with younger, cheaper, and better pieces.

Hard to hate this new and nimble Jim. Trader Jim brought his hard hat. Great work this far Jim! Now let's not overpay in the Ufa market and let's tie this up with a bow with the Petey / Hughes signings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

MacEwen

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Halak

Right side is more depth than players that move the needle, but hopefully the Offense and Goaltending can help them out. 

I'm also expecting our systems to change with Shaw here.

Not a bad roster, can make a splash in the pacific for sure 

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Right side is more depth than players that move the needle, but hopefully the Offense and Goaltending can help them out. 

I'm also expecting our systems to change with Shaw here.

Not a bad roster, can make a splash in the pacific for sure 

Hope you’re right.   

While I like our forward group a LOT (likely a top 10 forward group in the league), I’m a little concerned about the defense.   Poolman and Schenn are 6th/7th dmen from what I understand while Myers and Hamonic are #4’s.  Will OEL be able to find his form from 3-4 years ago?  Will Hughes be able to take a leap in his defensive play?

I think our defense still has a number of questions.  Hopefully, Shaw will be able to work his magic.

22 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Pettersson 7,5M x 4y

Hughes 6,5M x 4y

Hamonic 2,9M x 2y

Dickinson 2.5M x 2y

Sutter 1.5 M x 1y

Juolevi 1,2 M x 1y

You were pretty darn close with Hamonic and Sutter, hope you're right about Petey and Hughes too