The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tucker Poolman | #5 | D

-AJ-

Some observations:

- TOI suggests he was used as a #4 in Winnipeg

- Average possession metrics
- No offense in 2020-21, but decent offense in 2019-20 (on pace for 23 points in 82 games) I would expect about 15 points in a full season, very low offense
- Average size for an NHL defenseman
- Right-handed
- 1.77 hits per game -- moderately high, but not crazy high
- Average shot blocking for a defenseman
- Extraordinarily responsible on the penalty front
- Played on the 2nd PK unit for the Jets in 2020-21
- Scored against very little as a 2nd unit PK player relative to teammates (consider that 2nd unit doesn't face top guys as much)
- Almost never plays PP
- Looks like a discount Tanev
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was the Jet’s best d man in the bubble.  Started this year on their top pair.  Got Covid.  When fully recovered ended up being their top minute and hard matchup guy in the playoffs.  This guy is just getting better too.  He’s a friggin’ steal.  Tanev is an excellent comparison.  

The only way I will believe you is if I hear it from Jim. 

Cost effective moving forward.  

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was the Jet’s best d man in the bubble.  Started this year on their top pair.  Got Covid.  When fully recovered ended up being their top minute and hard matchup guy in the playoffs.  This guy is just getting better too.  He’s a friggin’ steal.  Tanev is an excellent comparison.  

Can you explain what you mean by 'top minute' guy?

Stats I'm looking at say he was their fourth highest minute D-man per game this playoffs. 

I like the optimism! I'm just trying to see what you mean.

1 minute ago, nzan said:

Stats I'm looking at say he was their fourth highest minute D-man per game this playoffs. 

Top minute guy in hard matchups.  22-25 minutes/ game against top guys like McDavid and Draisatl.  He plays a role like Tanev.  Very important to winning.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

It sounds like he's saying that for a short period of time, Poolman was their top minute guy, but as you say, he was their #4 guy by TOI this past year overall, so it couldn't have been for the entire year.

Just now, -AJ- said:

It sounds like he's saying that for a short period of time, Poolman was their top minute guy, but as you say, he was their #4 guy by TOI this past year overall, so it couldn't have been for the entire year.

Actually just looked up his game log in their last series and he was up around 24 minutes a night.

Sounds/seems like that was a bit overwhelming - but as a #4 it sounds like he might be pretty legit.

Thanks for that nugget @Alflives

• Cheers 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Alf seems to know more about Poolman, but for a guy who zero time on the pp in the past 3 years, 18-19 minutes is a pretty good contribution.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Top minute guy in hard matchups.  22-25 minutes/ game against top guys like McDavid and Draisatl.  He plays a role like Tanev.  Very important to winning.  

So obviously I don't know much about this guy - but assuming this is a legit comparison...is it realistic to think that Hughes plays beside Poolman rather than Hamonic?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The guy got sick with Covid near the start of the season and missed 10 games.  He said he sat and did nothing for two weeks while sick.  That’s really hard to do mid season, and then get fit again.  Then, after he recovered his minutes climbed back up again.  He east fully himself again until the end of the year and playoffs.  The guy is a very good player.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

So obviously I don't know much about this guy - but assuming this is a legit comparison...is it realistic to think that Hughes plays beside Poolman rather than Hamonic?

Poolman is a very good defensive player.  I expect Green will learn to use him in matchups against other teams top two lines 5 on 5.  

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy got sick with Covid near the start of the season and missed 10 games.  He said he sat and did nothing for two weeks while sick.  That’s really hard to do mid season, and then get fit again.  Then, after he recovered his minutes climbed back up again.  He east fully himself again until the end of the year and playoffs.  The guy is a very good player.  

I think people are going to look back on this as another very good deal. Not sure where the freaking out is coming from but I know I'm happy. 

Looking at the F group, damn there's no fat on that thing anymore. If we can land Petey for under 8 mil AAV that might be one of the best dollar value line ups in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman is a very good defensive player.  I expect Green will learn to use him in matchups against other teams top two lines 5 on 5.  

Not to mention he hits, has size and will drop the glove! Top marks Mr crocs.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn’t see him do much of that.  He might, but I didn’t see it.  

OK, I'm starting to like this guy.

He probably lost the scrum, but I'm 100% behind this hit. And I like the little Bieksa-style smirk after getting up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1