The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils sign Tomas Tatar

I'd take Tatar over Drouin - but apparently the Habs need neither of them (scratching Tatar through most of the postseason)....

I'd take this deal over Hoffman's as well - which makes little sense to me.    Hoffman is weak possession player / top 6 or bust type imo - signed to play where in that lineup?  One of him or Drouin wind up in their bottom six imo - go figure how either of those make sense, particularly when you have a pair of young centers on the top two lines with Evans and Paquette filling the bottom 6 C spots -  are serviceable enough - but don't expect either of them to fill the vacant skates of Danault.

Bergevin had a great offseason last year - this year he's right back to bottom of the pack imo.

Hard to see this team not taking a step backwards (not referring to regular season results here - just don't think they have the quality to advance in the playoffs like they did this year....)

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd take Tatar over Drouin - but apparently the Habs need neither of them (scratching Tatar through most of the postseason)....

I'd take this deal over Hoffman's as well - which makes little sense to me.    Hoffman is weak possession player / top 6 or bust type imo - signed to play where in that lineup?  One of him or Drouin wind up in their bottom six imo - go figure how either of those make sense, particularly when you have a pair of young centers on the top two lines with Evans and Paquette filling the bottom 6 C spots -  are serviceable enough - but don't expect either of them to fill the vacant skates of Danault.

Bergevin had a great offseason last year - this year he's right back to bottom of the pack imo.

Hard to see this team not taking a step backwards (not referring to regular season results here - just don't think they have the quality to advance in the playoffs like they did this year....)

Drouin seems to be a player that's just wishing he wasn't in Montreal anymore. Unfortunately, trading him with net them no value they'd want back. I agree - Tatar should've been kept, but him being out for most of the playoffs was not great.

With Bergevin, it just seems like he's wildly unpredictable. He's really not afraid to try anything.

Tatar sees his offensive numbers dropped and is 30+. Has been a healthy scratch at times during the regular season to a regular healthy scratch come playoff time. Even when he plays in the playoffs, he's quite unproductive and doesn't provide much else if not generating offense in the top 6. If the Canucks make this signing, not a chance would the reaction that we are seeing in this thread would be the same.

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Tatar sees his offensive numbers dropped and is 30+. Has been a healthy scratch at times during the regular season to a regular healthy scratch come playoff time. Even when he plays in the playoffs, he's quite unproductive and doesn't provide much else if not generating offense in the top 6. If the Canucks make this signing, not a chance would the reaction that we are seeing in this thread would be the same.

I think that's not entirely fair. COVID year, contract year - yes, he underperformed - not nearly as bad as when he was in LV. Although I don't think Tatar is overpaid, especially because he has been pretty consistent throughout his career, I think the Pearson signing is not a bad deal either.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, dontaylorforprez said:

I feel like this is similar to the Toffoli fiasco from last season. A guy they either gave up on or couldn’t afford.. pretty sure they could afford his asking price.. could be wrong. But I sure hope this stings them hard!

He didn’t fit with Ducharme. He struggled this season once they replaced Julien and seas benched once Caufield made it into the lineup in the playoffs.  He’s been replaced by Hoffman in Montreal.  They won’t miss him 

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think that's not entirely fair. COVID year, contract year - yes, he underperformed - not nearly as bad as when he was in LV. Although I don't think Tatar is overpaid, especially because he has been pretty consistent throughout his career, I think the Pearson signing is not a bad deal either.

Most players try to amp their games up during contract years. Covid year, sure, but not everyone that had a bad year can be excused for it. Montreal had a decent run, but he wasn't part of it. He's got decent skill if given the time in the top 6 and if offense is all you would expect of him. All I know is there is enough flaws to his game that it would be nitpicked to hell if he signed here. He might work out in NJ because they don't have the depth and have plenty of ice time for his skill. I think they "over-paid" given the market and the fact that he had to join a bottom team. The term is less risky though, so that's nice.

He reminds me of someone like Radim Vrbata.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Most players try to amp their games up during contract years. Covid year, sure, but not everyone that had a bad year can be excused for it. Montreal had a decent run, but he wasn't part of it. He's got decent skill if given the time in the top 6 and if offense is all you would expect of him. All I know is there is enough flaws to his game that it would be nitpicked to hell if he signed here. He might work out in NJ because they don't have the depth and have plenty of ice time for his skill. I think they "over-paid" given the market and the fact that he had to join a bottom team. The term is less risky though, so that's nice.

Exactly what I was thinking...guys who can get you points in the regular season, but disappear or don't have the courage to play playoff hockey.  Some guys help you get to the playoffs and that's what they contribute to the cause.

16 hours ago, Canuckhopefull said:

The knock on tatar is his plus and minus stat… he is usually in the minus category 

setting aside the (marginal) value of the plus/minus stat (particularly out of context...)

Tatar was +26 in Montreal.  +23 for his career (was only a minus player two years in his career).

18 hours ago, qwijibo said:

He didn’t fit with Ducharme. He struggled this season once they replaced Julien and seas benched once Caufield made it into the lineup in the playoffs.  He’s been replaced by Hoffman in Montreal.  They won’t miss him 

:sick:

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

On 8/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, Dazzle said:

A big fan favourite of Montreal. See, even the 'great' Bergevin can let players walk for free, not just Benning.

Say what?  But we let Edler, Tanev, Markstrom  and the greatest winger ever to play as a Canuck for like 12 games - TT (he's got his own acronym so he must be better then Sanderson right?) ... just so we could do this ...Blowing Bubbles GIF by Lana Del Rey

On 8/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, theo5789 said:

Vrbata is a good comp really.   Tarter Sauce has been part of some pretty decent trades too.  Check out what Vegas paid for him ... lol.  Crazy right?  And he was barely used during their run to the final.   And JB gets crapped on for the picks he's traded.