The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SIrhan Sirhan, Robert F. Kennedy's Assassin, Recommended for Parole

DonLever

7 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

So has Tex Watson and the Manson reprobates. Time for them to walk, too?

If the parole board thinks they have been rehabilitated  and family members are writing to the board to have them released,then yes that has to be taken into consideration.

I don't know who Tex Watson is however what I know about the mansons is they are unrepentant and the current evidence seems they are incapable  of being rehabilitated. 

You can't compare those cases with this particular case. 

I do not expect you to understand this as you have illustrated a history of not being able to ratiocinate.

22 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I don't know who Tex Watson is however what I know about the mansons is they are unrepentant and the current evidence seems they are incapable  of being rehabilitated. 

Wrong again. Except for the leader himself (now deceased) they are all repentant.

You can't compare those cases with this particular case. 

I'm not comparing the cases per re, only that they've also been imprisoned for over 50 years, as if that is some sort of moral consideration in itself. 

I do not expect you to understand this as you have illustrated a history of not being able to ratiocinate.

Oh. 

Edited by Jack Fig

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Wrong again, except for the leader himself (now deceased) they are all repentant.

I'm not comparing the cases per re, only that they've also been imprisoned for over 50 years, as if that is some sort of moral consideration in itself. 

Oh. 

I don't keep up with the actions or thoughts of serial killers. 

If they are repentant then yes that has to be taken into consideration.

You are comparing those cases to the case being discussed in this thread,you brought them up.

Again you display your inability to ratiocinate.

20 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I don't keep up with the actions or thoughts of serial killers. 

If they are repentant then yes that has to be taken into consideration.

You are comparing those cases to the case being discussed in this thread,you brought them up.

Again you display your inability to ratiocinate.

Then you'll be happy to know that one of them has been recommended for release by the parole board (twice), only to be vetoed by the governor. 

(Did I ratiocinate okay this time?)

• Vintage 1

Just now, Jack Fig said:

Then you'll be happy to know that one of them has been recommended for release by the parole board (twice), only to be vetoed by the governor. 

I am neither happy or sad.

I believe the crimes they committed are horrendous. 

They kidnapped,tortured and killed many people.

That makes me incredibly  sad.

That is completely  different from a person who killed one man in a moment of passion.

That man's son after intensive investigation and confronting the murderer thinks he is innocent.

Taking these facts into consideration I do believe,that after spending 50 years in jail and the people who have taken the decision believe  he is no danger to society,he should be released.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

In Canada we rehabilitate them head chopper cannibals real fast eh!

“Baker […] stabbed, beheaded and partially cannibalized Tim McLean, 22.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vince-li-discharge-1.3977278

7 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Sure it was a massive impact.  But conjecture on impact doesnt change that in our system one life shouldnt matter more than any other. 

I think that's what I'm questioning.  (And I'm really not sure about this, but here goes.)

While each life may count equally, the roles we play in society differ.  And the fact is, some people have roles that are much more important than those of the rest of us.  And when those people are killed, because of their roles, it seems to me that there is an argument for treating their killers differently than other killers.

One other thing:  the idea of "rehabilitation" has been mentioned in this thread.  Since when did punishment stop being an element in our judicial system?  Let's say Sirhan actually was genuinely remorseful after, say, five years and was considered 'rehabilitated' by the authorities.  Should he then be let out after five years?

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He murdered a Kennedy and changed history which has not only affected the lives of the Kennedy family but also the lives of millions of Americans and people around the world.

To be fair though he wasn't a lone shooter.  The assassination of the Kennedy brothers was done on a much larger scale, with many people and organizations involved.  These actual shooters were just the trigger men.  The people who actually plotted to assassinate the Kennedy's walked away freely.

I would release him and then he should be interrogated to see if he can bring out any new information on the assassination of the Kennedy brothers.

I'm open to a conspiracy theory about the Kennedy killings.

Who do you think was behind them?

10 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

If there is some big conspiracy behind both assassinations why didn’t Bobby’s killer get murdered like John’s?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If there is some big conspiracy behind both assassinations why didn’t Bobby’s killer get murdered like John’s?  

Dunno.  Maybe Elias will tell us.

But I always thought the killing of Oswald was suspicious.  I guess there's nothing that says a small time hood like Jack Ruby couldn't become an outraged patriot.  But I still think it was suspicious.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

So has Tex Watson and the Manson reprobates. Time for them to walk, too?

Tex Watson was found guilty of multiple murders (not just one).  Actually one of them did get parole & released:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clem_Grogan

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Actually another member of that "crew" received parole/released ("Squeaky Fromme").  Though she wasn't convicted in the Manson Murders but rather in jail as a result of attempting to murder President Gerald Ford.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

52 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I think that's what I'm questioning.  (And I'm really not sure about this, but here goes.)

While each life may count equally, the roles we play in society differ.  And the fact is, some people have roles that are much more important than those of the rest of us.  And when those people are killed, because of their roles, it seems to me that there is an argument for treating their killers differently than other killers.

One other thing:  the idea of "rehabilitation" has been mentioned in this thread.  Since when did punishment stop being an element in our judicial system?  Let's say Sirhan actually was genuinely remorseful after, say, five years and was considered 'rehabilitated' by the authorities.  Should he then be let out after five years?

No. But after 20? Maybe. After 50? Certainly. 

13 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Joe Kennedy senior was anti- Semitic and a bit of a supporter of Hitler it seems.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/697

Joe Ruby's full name is Joe Rubenstein.

See how easy it is to sow the seeds of doubt.

Just need some gullibility.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Dunno.  Maybe Elias will tell us.

But I always thought the killing of Oswald was suspicious.  I guess there's nothing that says a small time hood like Jack Ruby couldn't become an outraged patriot.  But I still think it was suspicious.

If the Kennedy brothers could be killed then why not Epstein? Epstein had lots to say about the activity of many upper class douches. 

• Cheers 1

dunno about this particular case, but for me the equation is simple - kill a person in cold blood == death penalty. A living and kill-able being should be made to pay the ultimate price (their life), if they cross the thresholds near-universally seen by most of our species as death penalty worthy ( murder, rape, etc).