The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here’s from Cap Friendly.  I think it’s saying that LTIRelief is accommodated in the extra 10% during the off season, and then the 10% is removed on game one.  So teams can’t go over the 10% in the summer.  

“LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.”

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

For the 2017/18 season the salary cap was 75M - ie the off-season cap was 82.5M.   Toronto was able to exceed it by putting Horton on LTIR.  CapFriendly wrote an article detailing it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs

As explained by James Mirtle, it has recently been revealed that LTIR can in fact be utilized in the off-season. Previously it was understood that this was not possible, and LTIR could only be used leading into the season on the final day of training camp. With this news, it is likely that Horton has already been placed on LTIR, allowing the Leafs to exceed the salary cap of $82.5M, and therefore they have enough space to sign RFA Connor Brown.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If I'm Montreal, I take the picks. Not just because JK isn't worth that, but also because I suspect Carolina will take a step back next year. They just lost their best defenseman, and are rolling with a brand new goalie tandem which is likely the most injury-prone tandem in the league. It isn't inconceivable that they might miss the playoffs.

I bet Carolina has a trade in the works from their F group if this offer sheet goes through. I doubt this is where the story ends. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

For the 2017/18 season the salary cap was 75M - ie the off-season cap was 82.5M.   Toronto was able to exceed it by putting Horton on LTIR.  CapFriendly wrote an article detailing it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs

As explained by James Mirtle, it has recently been revealed that LTIR can in fact be utilized in the off-season. Previously it was understood that this was not possible, and LTIR could only be used leading into the season on the final day of training camp. With this news, it is likely that Horton has already been placed on LTIR, allowing the Leafs to exceed the salary cap of $82.5M, and therefore they have enough space to sign RFA Connor Brown.

I don’t think that’s how it worked with the Leafs though.  The LTIR from Horton, when applied in the off-season, didn’t create cap room above the 10% over.  It lowered the 75 the Leafs were at by the amount of Horton’s contract.  So the 10% over stayed the same, and the room to sign Brown came from Horton’s LTIR.  

28 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'm sorry but $10-$11m for Petey is 4 firsts if above $10.2M?

Bye!

Especially from the Habs. They will be terrible next year.

They're middle of the pack in their division, and their main weakness is center.  Add Petey to their group and that's a solid team.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

This is CAR getting back to MTL for the offer sheet MTL sent to CAR for Aho a while ago. Now we play the wait and see game as to whether MTL will match or not. If I was MTL, I’d match. Kotkaniemi is young and still has the potential to blossom into a really, good player.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think that’s how it worked with the Leafs though.  The LTIR from Horton, when applied in the off-season, didn’t create cap room above the 10% over.  It lowered the 75 the Leafs were at by the amount of Horton’s contract.  So the 10% over stayed the same, and the room to sign Brown came from Horton’s LTIR.  

LTIR counts against the cap.  From the article:  With this news, it is likely that Horton has already been placed on LTIR, allowing the Leafs to exceed the salary cap of $82.5M, and therefore they have enough space to sign RFA Connor Brown.

1 minute ago, Beary Sweet said:

This is CAR getting back to MTL for the offer sheet MTL sent to CAR for Aho a while ago. Now we play the wait and see game as to whether MTL will match or not. If I was MTL, I’d match. Kotkaniemi is young and still has the potential to blossom into a really, good player.

They'd have to ask Petry to waive his NTC, or get creative with their payroll. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

LTIR counts against the cap.  From the article:  With this news, it is likely that Horton has already been placed on LTIR, allowing the Leafs to exceed the salary cap of $82.5M, and therefore they have enough space to sign RFA Connor Brown.

Any way we slice it the Habs are up sh*t creek without a paddle.  They match on JK and they are at the 10% and that’s using all of Weber’s LTIR.  So they have 6 mil left, if they don’t sign him.  6 mil is all they got.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

They'd have to ask Petry to waive his NTC, or get creative with their payroll. 

There’s not a chance that they trade Petry.  

They simply have to demote a player to the AHL.  They won’t be able to operate with a full roster but are able to carry 21.   It will make it challenging for short term injuries and they might have to play games short-handed.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

There’s not a chance that they trade Petry.  

They simply have to demote a player to the AHL.  They won’t be able to operate with a full roster but are able to carry 21.   It will make it challenging for short term injuries and they might have to play games short-handed.

Is a team allowed to have less than a 23 man roster in the off season to determine cap though?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Any way we slice it the Habs are up sh*t creek without a paddle.  They match on JK and they are at the 10% and that’s using all of Weber’s LTIR.  So they have 6 mil left, if they don’t sign him.  6 mil is all they got.  

That’s all they need.  They can match.  As for the regular season, they won’t be able to carry a 23 player roster but look to have enough space for a roster of 21.  It becomes an issue in case of non LTIR injuries where they will need to play a game short-handed before they can bring up a player outside of the cap.

• Like 1