The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

For a massive overpayment in a move that was motivated by spite. 

A few million bucks overpay, for one piddly year of cap space they readily have available :bored:

They bought (with that cap) a promising young player they like, for far below his normal trade value. While yes, also putting the screws to a team that did the same to them a couple years ago. Masterfully crafted to either get the player or screw the team IMO.

Can't wait to see the extension too... Bunch of jerks :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A few million bucks overpay, for one piddly year of cap space they readily have available :bored:

They bought (with that cap) a promising young player they like, for far below his normal trade value. While yes, also putting the screws to a team that did the same to them a couple years ago. Masterfully crafted to either get the player or screw the team IMO.

The extension will be interesting. Along with how Kotkaniemi does in a new organization playing on the wing rather than C. 

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think he’s going to excel on the wing. How much….. that certainly will be interesting to see! 

He’s got the skill. I think the knee injury he suffered in his sophomore season really set him back. It’s a loss to Montreal l. That said I like what Dvorak will bring to the team.  

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They have already discussed an extension per Elliotte Friedman it just can’t be signed until after Jan 1 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He’s got the skill. I think the knee injury he suffered in his sophomore season really set him back. It’s a loss to Montreal l. That said I like what Dvorak will bring to the team.  

Dvorak looks like a good player. I’m not certain he’s the guy I’d want at #2 unless I had a smoking good #3…. Actually, now that I think about, maybe he should be the smoking good #3 :o 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Dvorak looks like a good player. I’m not certain he’s the guy I’d want at #2 unless I had a smoking good #3…. Actually, now that I think about, maybe he should be the smoking good #3 :o 

Hes good on face offs, solid on his skates (if a bit slow) and scores the bulk of his goals parked in front of the net.  He’s a very different from Kotkaniemi but in the short term at least he’s a better option at the 2C spot than Kotkaniemi would have been.  Long term I think Kotkaniemi will be the superior player. But for now Montreal is better because of this fiasco 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hes good on face offs, solid on his skates (if a bit slow) and scores the bulk of his goals parked in front of the net.  He’s a very different from Kotkaniemi but in the short term at least he’s a better option at the 2C spot than Kotkaniemi would have been.  Long term I think Kotkaniemi will be the superior player. But for now Montreal is better because of this fiasco 

I think they’re still gonna be in a world of hurt for centre depth, although KK wasn’t the answer for that problem anyways. Dvorak is certainly a good start. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think they’re still gonna be in a world of hurt for centre depth, although KK wasn’t the answer for that problem anyways. Dvorak is certainly a good start. 

Suzuki looks legit. Dvorak is solid as a 2, better as a 3. Evans could be a great 3. Too early to tell.  4 c can be covered by one of Paquette/Perreault. It really depends on how Dvorak does in the 2C role.  He’ll be playing with much better wingers in Montreal . He could surprise. Much like Miller did when he got to Vancouver.  Put the player in a position to succeed with quality line mates and see what happens 

3 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Or could it be a joke that backfired on Carolina? They saw an opportunity to offersheet a young guy on MTL and pay him WELL over what hes worth pretty shortly after MTL Offer sheeted Aho. Especially it being a 1 year deal and $20 signing bonus. I feel like it was a complete troll job that backfired. 

I’d say Bergevin made it out of this situation by the skin of his teeth. Lost Kotkaniemi, but got a 1st and 3rd in compensation and got Dvorak whos under contract at a good cap hit for 4 more years and still have a 1st round pick at the end of the day. It would have been f***ing hilarious if he lost Danault and Kotkaniemi and wasnt able to acquire Dvorak

Carolina didn't do this for a joke. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Jake Evans had just tucked in the empty net 5-3 sealer Game 1 and the Canadiens had taken Game 1 wether Scheifele made the hit or not. They played the same way in game 1, 2, 3, 4. One player does not decide these things in the playoffs even star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kopitar over the years and now clearly with McDavid, Matthews, Barzal, Scheifele. So yes Montreal would still have won the series. A goalie change between two starting goaltenders in the Vegas series means nothing. Montreal beat Vegas at their own style. Every single team and goaltender needs a lot of “luck” to win the Cup. As many coaches have said. Luck is always part of it. But Montreal fought their way to the Final with their depth and heart.

have to agree to disagree. When Perry is your top player not sure it was depth doing the work. Price was great. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Carolina didn't do this for a joke. 

But why offersheet for 6.1mil for 1 season with a  $20 signing bonus? I mean i guess the 6.1mil is an excessive amount of money and is kinda like a signing bonus. Idk man it just seems too much like a you did this we’ll do that kinda deal. Like why offersheet JK when they could attempt to make space and offersheet Pettersson? If they have room for 6.1mil Im sure they have room or could easily make room for an extra 2 mil and offersheet Petey at 8mil

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

But why offersheet for 6.1mil for 1 season with a  $20 signing bonus? I mean i guess the 6.1mil is an excessive amount of money and is kinda like a signing bonus. Idk man it just seems too much like a you did this we’ll do that kinda deal. Like why offersheet JK when they could attempt to make space and offersheet Pettersson? If they have room for 6.1mil Im sure they have room or could easily make room for an extra 2 mil and offersheet Petey at 8mil

they paid to steal a top 10 player who they clearly think fits their system. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

The Canes basically stole the Hab’s best defensive (and hardest to play against) young centre.  The 6 million is pretty much a signing bonus for the coming longer term contract.  I see JK extending with the Canes at 4x4.  So add in the six and that’s 22 mil over five years.