The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Rate this topic

48 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I listened to Elliot Friedman earlier today and he’s hearing the NHL is already planning make up games during the Olympic break.

Makes the most sense at this point.

Can easily make up the lost games in that span with some wiggle room to spare.

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as i enjoy Olympic hockey and would have loved seeing Canada in this version.

Olympics in China and what is going on there and the new variants- it is the right choice to not go and glad they are not going

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Good call.

Hopefully they can do a World Cup of Hockey in the next couple years.

I saw a post saying to create a World Cup of hockey takes 18-24 months to organize. So basically it said there's not enough time. Which I find is weird it would take that long.

Since the NHL has had experience before. 

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I saw a post saying to create a World Cup of hockey takes 18-24 months to organize. So basically it said there's not enough time. Which I find is weird it would take that long.

Since the NHL has had experience before. 

I would have figured it wouldn't take quite that long to organize, but perhaps that's a result of Covid.

If it does take 1.5-2 years, then I hope they start organizing it now. Take out team North America and team Europe, replace them with countries, then you'd have a best on best tournament. Players would get to represent their countries, and avoid pausing an NHL season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Better chance of playing a full season. I like the call of no olympics 

I mean I don’t want to guarantee Canada would have won gold.

But Canada would have won gold…

Would have been nice don’t get me wrong, but it was a foregone conclusion for me. 

My focus is on the Canucks season. I’d rather they do everything they can to get a full season in. We’re gonna need every game we can get to get back in the playoff picture.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It definitely sucks for the players who'd likely have made the squad. Stammer's right, this was probably his last shot at it. We'll probably never see Crosby and McDavid try and bring home gold together. 

But you know what? That's fine. The number of players who wouldn't be representing their countries is larger than the number that would be and a potentially shortened season impacts them too, I have no issue with the season being top priority. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It definitely sucks for the players who'd likely have made the squad. Stammer's right, this was probably his last shot at it. We'll probably never see Crosby and McDavid try and bring home gold together. 

But you know what? That's fine. The number of players who wouldn't be representing their countries is larger than the number that would be and a potentially shortened season impacts them too, I have no issue with the season being top priority. 

I see them both being on the team in Milan.

As long as Crosby is still healthy and playing at age 38 he’ll be on the team. They’ll find a role for him even if he isn’t an impact player anymore.

Same thing for Stamkos. He’ll be 35 by then but as long as he can still play he can be a bottom 6 depth scorer at that point.

It will be important for the next young group of stars to have the vets on the team. Guys who know the tournament and who have won gold before.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see them both being on the team in Milan.

As long as Crosby is still healthy and playing at age 38 he’ll be on the team. They’ll find a role for him even if he isn’t an impact player anymore.

Same thing for Stamkos. He’ll be 35 by then but as long as he can still play he can be a bottom 6 depth scorer at that point.

It will be important for the next young group of stars to have the vets on the team. Guys who know the tournament and who have won gold before.

Not gonna lie, Crosby or not I'd be quite surprised to see him on the team at 38. Stamkos, maybe, but I'd prioritize younger talent over him at 35.

Vets, sure, but having greybeards as forwards ain't the same as having the caliber of greybeards we've had on D in the past. 

Surely there would be better bottom six choices than Crosby or Stamkos at that point, even Bo springs to mind. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not gonna lie, Crosby or not I'd be quite surprised to see him on the team at 38. Stamkos, maybe, but I'd prioritize younger talent over him at 35.

Vets, sure, but having greybeards as forwards ain't the same as having the caliber of greybeards we've had on D in the past. 

Surely there would be better bottom six choices than Crosby or Stamkos at that point, even Bo springs to mind. 

Look at Ovechkin.

Hes 36 and having one of his best seasons ever. You don’t think he’ll be on that team Russia in 4 years?

Crosby is cut from the same cloth. As long as he’s healthy he’ll still be performing at age 38. Players like him are so smart they’ll find a way to contribute even as they slow down.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Look at Ovechkin.

Hes 36 and having one of his best seasons ever. You don’t think he’ll be on that team Russia in 4 years?

Crosby is cut from the same cloth. As long as he’s healthy he’ll still be performing at age 38. Players like him are so smart they’ll find a way to contribute even as they slow down.

If he's playing, he probably is. But Ovechkin has a goalscoring record to chase, what else does Crosby have left to accomplish? 

I'm not sold on the fact Crosby will still be playing though. He's got three years left on his current NHL deal after this season is over, I could easily see him retiring. 

Malkin's deal is up this year and he's 35, how long do you think he'll play? Same with Letang at 34. The curtain ain't too far off for all of these career Penguins. 

While it is the right choice. I surely hope hockey fans haven’t been cheated with ever seeing both Crosby and McDavid on the same team. They might do a World Cup of hockey to compensate this loss but nothing beats Olympic best on best. Safety above anything else this was the best course of action. No way any owner would be content with their players stuck in China for five weeks while their team is gearing for a playoff push.