The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Christian Dvorak to Canadiens for conditional 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Minimal risk for Montreal acquiring Dvorak. He’s easily worth a late 1st with his contract.

Arizona obviously continues their goal of having every pick in the 2022 draft.

Still a chance for Montreal to be big losers in all of this though depending on Kotkaniemi’s career path.

Probably the best out of a series of bad possible outcomes though.  KK wasn't going to hit his potential in Montreal.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

you mad GIF

Not really.  It’s all part of the CBA. Carolina chose to massively overpay Kotkaniemi out of spite.  I’m sure they like the player too. But paying him $6.1m was payback for Aho. Kotkaniemi is a loss for Montreal. I’ve always liked him avd I won’t start trashing him now.   But if Dvorak works out in Montreal then they’ve somewhat mitigated the loss

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Montreal played this really well.  Carolina is now overpaying for a 3rd line centre and will be stuck with a high QO after giving up a 1st and 3rd to get him.  Montreal is now paying 1.6  million less for a better player. 

Where Montreal failed was at the draft when they picked Kotkaniemi.  It was a reach at the time and they missed out on Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes who would actually be worth matching.

I love that the two trading partners are the reason why Hughes landed to the Canucks .. just wait for the Yotes to send that pick over to the Redwings and everything will come to full circle

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I love that the two trading partners are the reason why Hughes landed to the Canucks .. just wait for the Yotes to send that pick over to the Redwings and everything will come to full circle

I like Hayton a lot still, and hope he gets out of Arizona soon so they don't screw up his development.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

They also have Chycrun, Keller, Hayton, Soderstrom, Schmaltz, Guenther, to build on.  I think they will be able to finally find a buyer and a new city with all this future potential.

Quebec City is going to have a better team than Montreal!  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Montreal played this really well.  Carolina is now overpaying for a 3rd line centre and will be stuck with a high QO after giving up a 1st and 3rd to get him.  Montreal is now paying 1.6  million less for a better player. 

Where Montreal failed was at the draft when they picked Kotkaniemi.  It was a reach at the time and they missed out on Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes who would actually be worth matching.

Yep, the real burn is that Montreal gave up a 3rd OA pick for a 58 OA pick.

Dvorjak is a good late 2nd pick but what a 3 OA coulda woulda shoulda been ..... :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Should've just kept those picks imo.

I think Kotkaniemi ends up being a much better player than Dvorak ever will be, not to mention a few years younger.

Dvorak is the better player at the moment but not even that much better.

JK is six months older than Caufield.  The Canes literally stole a potentially great player.  Dvorak is coming 26.  He is what he is.  An average (at best) player.  Bergevin is definitely looking the fool that he truly is.  

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yep, the real burn is that Montreal gave up a 3rd OA pick for a 58 OA pick.

Dvorjak is a good late 2nd pick but what a 3 OA coulda woulda shoulda been ..... :rolleyes:

draft position is pretty much meaningless once the players are In The league.  

• Cheers 3

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Loui, Rooster, and Beagle keep climbing up that Arizona depth chart.

They’re gonna be the Coyotes first line pretty soon. :lol:

That team is such a joke.  They’re clearly tanking.  There are no hockey fans in Arizona to care.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I doubt Carolina ever thought that Montreal wouldn't match.  They went off the board when the drafted KK and now, he performs more to the expected level of a mid-1st round pick and $6.1 is a big over payment.

The real tragedy here is that Kotkaneimi, if he doesn't live up to his $6.1M, will wind up not getting qualified next year and then what???

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

draft position is pretty much meaningless once the players are In The league.  

I know that, but you would expect a really good player for 3 OA and now the Habs have a fair to middling player instead of what should have been a top line player

The mistake, as Dixon Ward said, was to draft KK at 3 OA