The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden Hockey Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It is what matters most, but I still don't think it's close personally. He had one run past the second round and although it was great, I think if you're gonna focus on playoff performance as a metric, you'd want more playoff success. Linden's teams had a 45.97% win percentage in the NHL playoffs and although he stepped up his game in playoff times, I don't think it brings him close enough to compete with HHOF levels. Bo Horvat may end up in the same boat. He's shown that he can elevate his game in the playoffs, but I don't think he'll ever get into the Hall, even if he wins the Conn Smythe with 20 points in 21 games in a Cup win or something. You need more than one good run and the regular season matter too.

Not even the Sedins are in the "same boat" when it comes to the post season. 

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not even the Sedins are in the "same boat" when it comes to the post season. 

Personally, I wouldn't put the Sedins in the HHOF based on their on-ice play. I think the only reason them getting in at all is merited is because of their off-ice work. I think they're fringe HHOFers when it comes to on the ice, but I would probably have them out of the Hall (though I suspect many would disagree with me). It's their incredible off-ice work that gets them in IMO.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol his regular season is not HHOF worthy.. his post season other than 1 great run he had no playoff success.. doesn't matter if u put up points if u can't win.. he's not even close to being considered let alone a mention for the hhof

Of course not.   But believe it or not, there was a time when he was considered one of the best young rising stars in league.   For sure he had a great career. 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I wouldn't put the Sedins in the HHOF based on their on-ice play. I think the only reason them getting in at all is merited is because of their off-ice work. I think they're fringe HHOFers when it comes to on the ice, but I would probably have them out of the Hall (though I suspect many would disagree with me). It's their incredible off-ice work that gets them in IMO.

I don't think off ice work should ever come into the picture.   For me they are getting in ahead of guys like Alfie and Mogilny, simply because they were unique, special players.   Hall snubbed Harvey so he didn't show up.   Hall snubbed Barasso for similar reasons but they for sure at least have reason to deny him entry, where as with Harvey they had none.    Off ice stuff i suppose matters if your a total prick.   But one has to wonder, if they weren't on the same team or if they weren't brothers/twins - should or would they be getting in at all?  

The reason why Linden never gets mentioned in HHOF talk mostly has to do with the fact that his career is not even remotely close to being worthy. I mean, the guy never even broke PPG once and you think he should be enshrined alongside the Beliveaus and Crosbys of the world? If he ever got in, he would immediately unseat Lowe as the worst entrant ever.

And I'm saying this as someone who loves Trevor Linden.

Edited by nowhereman

1 minute ago, nowhereman said:

The reason why Linden never gets mentioned in HHOF talk mostly has to do with the fact that his career is not even remotely close to being worthy. I mean, the guy never even broke PPG once and you think he should be enshrined alongside the Gretzkys and Crosbys of the world?

He did twice in the playoffs...

3 minutes ago, tas said:

so? henrik had a 58 in 62 run.

Lol, Linden was a ppg in the playoffs from 18 to 26 before being traded as 70+ regular season player

Henrik was struggling to produce a ppg in the playoffs when he was a 90+ regular season player in his prime

one is a beast the other is a disappointment, as was Naslund, Bertuzzi and Daniel 

• Vintage 1

Just now, bbllpp said:

Lol, Linden was a ppg in the playoffs from 18 to 26 before being traded as 70+ regular season player

Henrik was struggling to produce a ppg in the playoffs when he was a 90+ regular season player in his prime

one is a beast the other is a disappointment, as was Naslund, Bertuzzi and Daniel 

haha, if you say so man. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

haha, if you say so man. 

Well stats are stats - so is the eye test.  Look how excited we got in the bubble.   Having a Linden on your team - pretty much meant we got to see that every time (two rounds or more).   Otto kicked in too.  After Linden almost scored (thanks to a great save), as an 18 year old.    So far only Bure has been better off the hop, maybe EP...time will tell.. there was a time when teams weren't sure if Modano was the right pick.   Certainly way better then the Sedins and Naslund until they were 27 or so...

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

And this discredits my point how? Unless, of course, you think that 13 points in 12 games back in 92-93 moves the needle enough to put Trevor in the Hall...

Read my posts.   Never said he should be in the Hall - but there was a time he was for sure trending towards it.