Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

That’s the top 9 I’ve been envisioning since Garland and Dickinson were acquired for the same reasons you listed. I guess it’s contingent on Podz being able to play that role, but his play in the K and in international play is encouraging. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That’s the top 9 I’ve been envisioning since Garland and Dickinson were acquired for the same reasons you listed. I guess it’s contingent on Podz being able to play that role, but his play in the K and in international play is encouraging. 

They keep checking whether Miller can be a 3C with Dickinson at 4C; we shall see. The team has more depth on the wings anyways, so having three solid scoring lines and then a 4C checking will create more balance.

___________-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-____________

___________-Miller-Podkolzin

___________-Dickinson-_________

Then it's a matter of where does Hoglander and Garland fit (two smaller guys), and will it be Chiasson or Petan in the top 9.

4th line wingers of either DiGiuseppe, Bailey, MacEwan, Dowling, outside chance of Lockwood

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Mike27 said:

Looks like the Canucks just picked up their 4th line centre off waivers.  Travis Boyd, a right hand shot from the Laffs.

That was in March last season.  It didn't work out.  He signed with Arizona in the off-season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canadian said:

They keep checking whether Miller can be a 3C with Dickinson at 4C; we shall see. The team has more depth on the wings anyways, so having three solid scoring lines and then a 4C checking will create more balance.

___________-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-____________

___________-Miller-Podkolzin

___________-Dickinson-_________

Then it's a matter of where does Hoglander and Garland fit (two smaller guys), and will it be Chiasson or Petan in the top 9.

4th line wingers of either DiGiuseppe, Bailey, MacEwan, Dowling, outside chance of Lockwood

I don't see the team using Miller as 3C during the pre-season is anything other than them viewing their options for the regular season, while waiting for Sutter to return (assuming he returns in a timely fashion, and remains healthy). Playing Miller at 3C during the regular season will only succeed in disrupting the (likely) composition of the top lines while reducing their effectiveness (offensive/defensive). 

One of the big factors is, who plays as 1LW while Miller is (probably) spending a smaller amount of TOI on the third line (or do people think that the third line with Miller will get equal TOI with the first line)? I like Hoglander, but I do not see Hoglander as a 1LW (at least not right now, nor for any length of time). The Canucks have a number of bodies which they could throw at the problem, but as is often seen in the "Proposals and Armchair GMing" section, quantity does not equal quality. I do not see anyone with the team (at least not right now) who I would like to see playing in the 1LW spot other than Miller. 

Is Miller enough of an offensive dynamo, that whichever wingers are left over from the top-6 that get thrown together with him will form a successful scoring line? I have reservations as to the offensive or defensive punch of such a line.

One last point, think back to the last few years, where people around here were complaining that they hated having Sutter as the 3C, in large part because of his $4+ million contract, and what kind of a deal was that for a third liner? And yet, some people are cheering the idea of having Miller, at $5+ million, playing reduced minutes from 1LW, as 3C.

regards,  G.

My thoughts on the lineup:

1.) Miller -- Pettersson -- Boeser

2.) Hoglander/Pearson/Gadjovich? -- Horvat  -- Garland/Podkolzin

3.) Pearson/Hoglander/Gadjovich? -- Dickinson -- Podkolzin?/Garland/Motte

4.) Gadjovich? -- Sutter?/Petan?/MacEwen? -- Motte/Podkolzin?

Chiasson(RW)/New Guy

- I'm assuming Gadjovich (waiver vulnerable) remains with the Canucks, playing shifts in the bottom-9, likely on the 4th line for most of his time at the start of the season, and perhaps getting more time higher in the line up as the season progresses. If it makes anyone happy, sure, he can be in the press box, but that would be a waste of development time.

- I can see Garland/Podkolzin playing back and forth in the middle six wings, with Podkolzin sinking to 4th line minutes depending on game situations.

- I see similar futures for Pearson and Hoglander, switching positions depending on game situations.

- Hopefully, Motte will be available.

- I like Chiasson as a big body who may be pulled into the line up. 

- Benning might pick up a winger/C off of waivers. If need be, Chiasson could be waived(?).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHL call ups:

C: Dowling

C/LW/RW: (Petan,)

C/RW: (MacEwen(?),)

LW/RW: Highmore,

LW: Di Giuseppe,

RW: Klimovich, Lockwood?/Podkolzin?,

I like Lockwood, and I think he has a bright future in the NHL. . I don't like Lockwood enough to risk losing Gadjovich on waivers. The end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L - Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, Juolevi
R - Myers, Poolman, Schenn (Hamonic?)
(Hunt/New Guy?)

- Mix and match as desired.

- I anticipate the Canucks taking a long look at some of the d-men who will hit waivers (right side has been suggested by others). This seems like a good idea, for obvious reasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHL - Rathboone,

- I like Lockwood, Rathbone and I think he has a bright future in the NHL. . I don't like Lockwood Rathbone enough to risk losing Gadjovich Juolevi on waivers. The end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demko

Halak

Edited by Gollumpus

They sure seem to want to get Rathbone fast-tracked. Feel a little bad for Juolevi, who's struggled the last few years with injury, still trying to make the team. I thought he's been pretty good. Canucks don't need more offensive guys (having Hughes and OEL), they need to keep pucks out of their own zone/net. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They sure seem to want to get Rathbone fast-tracked. Feel a little bad for Juolevi, who's struggled the last few years with injury, still trying to make the team. I thought he's been pretty good. Canucks don't need more offensive guys (having Hughes and OEL), they need to keep pucks out of their own zone/net. 

I think the proclamations of OJ not making the team are a bit premature, he's actually done well enough to make the team. Green might be deciding between Hunt and Rathbone for the 7 spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I think the proclamations of OJ not making the team are a bit premature, he's actually done well enough to make the team. Green might be deciding between Hunt and Rathbone for the 7 spot.

Not sure I get it?

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Hunt, Juolevi or Rathbone - Schenn or Burroughs

There's 3 guys battling for that last LD pairing spot. Who knows what they'll do if Hamonic doesn't show up. 

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Batchelor on twitter explaining why he thinks Juolevi is behind Hunt/Rathbone for a roster spot:  "If Juolevi was a serious option in their minds, he would be skating with this group with a week left until regular season. Unless there's an injury at play (which I don't believe there is) it's not looking good for OJ."

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

haha, today's big Canucks story in The Province is:  "Bailey finally arrives to battle for Canucks" - lol like he has a chance or will make any kind of difference.  Really reaching there Province.

Bailey has a solid shot at one of those open bottom 6 w'er slots. His speed, size and shot could be valuable there if he's finally able to translate them to the NHL level.

• Like 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Just took a quick look, interesting.

Benning's had 49 draft picks and only 6 are regular NHL players.

McCann, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and Hoglander

Gustav Forsling.  Florida just signed him to a 3x 2.67M contract.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Batchelor on twitter explaining why he thinks Juolevi is behind Hunt/Rathbone for a roster spot:  "If Juolevi was a serious option in their minds, he would be skating with this group with a week left until regular season. Unless there's an injury at play (which I don't believe there is) it's not looking good for OJ."

Could also be that they largely know what they have there and that IIRC, he'd played in pretty much every preseason game until the last one. They may simply be giving Rathbone the opportunity to settle down and shore up his defensive play and see if he can actually push his way in to that spot.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Could also be that they largely know what they have there and that IIRC, he'd played in pretty much every preseason game until the last one. They may simply be giving Rathbone the opportunity to settle down and shore up his defensive play and see if he can actually push his way in to that spot.

Green split the team in two groups about a week ago explaining that he wanted to get the main group together because they have so many new players.  Now with a week left and being sent down to the 2nd group doesn't look promising.

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Listening to all the media guys on the radio, the universal opinion seems to be that OJ is still in tough to make the roster and that Hunt and Rathbone are still ahead of him. I get the feeling that the Canucks WANT Rathbone to be the guy, but they still aren’t sure about his defensive game and that’s why they’ve played him in every pre-season game so far. Juolevi is a known quantity, as unexciting as he is as a player…and I think that probably explains why he is not getting the high profile looks and partners that Rathbone is getting.

The outcry from the media will be entertaining if OJ indeed is the last man standing on the third D pairing.

• Cheers 1