The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Conscience said:

And which perimeter players are you referring to? Certainly couldn't be Hoglander or Garland. 

they're both brave, feisty, and willing to go to the hard areas, no question. but if you depend on those guys to take the beatings in the tough areas for 82 games, they're going to be beaten to a pulp come playoff time. 

• Wat 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm guessing the next round of cuts will include players like: Bailey, Dowling, Dries, Focht, Bowey, Brisebois, Burroughs and DiPietro.

If that were to happen, that would bring us down to 31 players and we would then still need to trim the roster by eight more players.

I feel the decisions this year are far tougher than in previous years.

I would be surprised if Bailey isn't given a look for the 4th line before sending him down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

While I agree with you, I do wonder who is not vaccinated then as JB has stated that the team is not yet fully vaccinated but will be. 

I can see that all the players are playing (Hughes and Petterson soon) 

Could it be staff he's referring to? 

Anything is possible. I just really don't like speculating on it. It's different if someone comes out and says straight up that they aren't.

I'm a firm believer in vaccination, but I also try and be respectful of someone's decision to vaccinate or not, as long as they have accurate information and not just made up sh!t that is all over the Internet.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Based on what I've seen, I don't think Chiasson has brought enough to be worth a contract. Would rather have Highmore, Lockwood, Petan, or even MacEwen in the line-up - or a waiver wire/FA signing.

Yes I always liked Chiasson but let’s face it, if he plays with this low intensity level, there is no room for him. 
i mean c’mon, you re supposed to show 110 % on PTO....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Samuelsson, Higgins, Raymond, Hansen, Burrows to your top 6... it was a good support cast but not even close to what we have today and not enough to win anything. 

The 2009/10 team had all 6 top 6 forwards score 25+ goals. That has never happened (on any team) since then.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Podz needs to start ramping up his intensity level soon. Like next-game soon. His defensive positioning is good, but far too passive out there. He’s a different beast than the Hog, but he still needs to display a bit of the puck-hunger that our little Swedish bowling ball has.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

I would agree. Based on what I've seen and who's available. 

Miller   Pettersson  Boeser

Hoglander   Horvat   Garland 

Pearson      Dickenson   Podkolzin

Gadjovich   Petan    Lockwood 

Extra - Highmore

Hughes   Myers

OEL    Poolman

Juolevi  Schenn

Extra's - Rathbone / Bowey.

Don't forget, just because they start the game that way doesn't mean in game adjustments won't be made based on how the game is going. Your likely going to see Pearson bump up into the 2nd line late in games over Hoglander because of his defense game. Same goes for Garland maybe flip flopping onto the top line for Boeser or Miller at times. The key will be to see how well they can build a true 3rd line around Dickenson and take pressure off Horvat for extra hard minutes and let him drive a more offense game. Podkolzin right now plays a defense first game so he may indeed fit well on that line as well.

I agree with your picks on who makes the team but I am hoping for an upgrade over Petan through waivers. 

Also hoping Hamonic joins the team prior to reg season starting 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Yes I always liked Chiasson but let’s face it, if he plays with this low intensity level, there is no room for him. 
i mean c’mon, you re supposed to show 110 % on PTO....

He's always been a floater that gets hot for a bit and then disappears.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Based on what I heard, I think Keeper is done for the season. I guess there's a chance he might be able to play again in spring, but it sounded like it was a pretty extensive break.

I heard rumours Boesers’s out for 6 months with an ingrown toenail.  Rumours man.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm guessing the next round of cuts will include players like: Bailey, Dowling, Dries, Focht, Bowey, Brisebois, Burroughs and DiPietro.

If that were to happen, that would bring us down to 31 players and we would then still need to trim the roster by eight more players.

I feel the decisions this year are far tougher than in previous years.

For sure,many options for green and co

26 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I heard rumours Boesers’s out for 6 months with an ingrown toenail.  Rumours man.  

Don't temp the hockey gods.

Especially considering the sad sorry history of the Canucks medical department. And trusting their estimations of recovery.  Petey was just supposed to be a week.  Boeser went from "a maintenance day", to "at least a week", to "doubtful to start the season". 

I'm praying he's good to go soon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Based on what I've seen, I don't think Chiasson has brought enough to be worth a contract. Would rather have Highmore, Lockwood, Petan, or even MacEwen in the line-up - or a waiver wire/FA signing.

Pretty sure Gadj has earned a spot

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Don't temp the hockey gods.

Especially considering the sad sorry history of the Canucks medical department. And trusting their estimations of recovery.  Petey was just supposed to be a week.  Boeser went from "a maintenance day", to "at least a week", to "doubtful to start the season". 

I'm praying he's good to go soon.

I thought the latest on Brock was that he’d be good to go for Game 1 of the season? Has there been new news?