The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Im quite confident we will outplay Seattle during reg season

Our AHL team yesterday outshot them by almost a 2-1 margin Actually 38 to 25.

Our PK looked dismal but were missing PK personel (Sutter, Motte, Poolman)

It'll be interesting to see how Grubauer plays when we have our best players in the game taking those shots rather than AHL fodder.

I agree, these are just preseason games - practice games to see who will make the team. SEA is in a different spot where they have to play their starters to try and get them gelling before the regular season. I think SEA will be a good team, as they were also missing Gourde, Larsson and Oleksiak to name a few.  

The Canucks were missing more though, a lot more. So, I expect them to beat out SEA in the standings. Goal is playoffs, my guess is both teams make it in next spring.

40 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he's not good enough to be paired with Rathbone. Schenn is what he is, he looks as advertised to me, a 7/8 on a cheap deal.

Careful...I mentioned earlier this summer he is a fantastic 7/8 and got lectured for days on end on how he was a top 6.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He seems a bit slow.

I would actually prefer Bowey over Schenn.

The thought of Juolevi and Bowey pairing seems risky but when i actually think about it, I think it'll be better than Juolevi Schenn.

Schenn seems better in a set defense setting.  Bowey seems better in fluid game play. Same as Juolevi. 

I feel like if they keep their feet moving and make quick plays, the puck will get out of our zone quite quickly and most of the game will be played on neutral zone or attack zone.

The concern though is if they get matched up against opposing top lines and they need to play more stationary positional defense.  

TG can shelter them by giving them more  O zone faceoffs but the trouble will come when they ice the puck and get caught out on the ice and opposing team puts out the top line.

I think TG shoudl try putting the pair out there against Edmonton.  If they can survive that top line on icing calls, we have nothing to worry about.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing a bit more of Bowey. Right from day 1 getting traded to Van it seems like he has not even been on the radar as an option though.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I also wouldn’t mind seeing a bit more of Bowey. Right from day 1 getting traded to Van it seems like he has not even been on the radar as an option though.

I think Bowey could fill for Hamonic for awhile. Hasn’t looked out of place imo

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, these are just preseason games - practice games to see who will make the team. SEA is in a different spot where they have to play their starters to try and get them gelling before the regular season. I think SEA will be a good team, as they were also missing Gourde, Larsson and Oleksiak to name a few.  

The Canucks were missing more though, a lot more. So, I expect them to beat out SEA in the standings. Goal is playoffs, my guess is both teams make it in next spring.

I'm quite certain Larsson played yesterday

I think they were missing Gourde and Oleksiak though.

Anyone else?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Thus far in the preseason, this is my guess at our top 13/14 F group for opening night, based on what I've seen:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Höglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe - Dowling - Gadjovich

(Motte inj) - (Sutter inj) - Chiasson/Highmore

Not too shabby

Doubtful Pearson won't be with Horvat. Once again Green has them tied at the hip.

• Like 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I'm quite certain Larsson played yesterday

I think they were missing Gourde and Oleksiak though.

Anyone else?

yes , Larson was in so just 2 regulars out, where we had 4 of our top 6 forwards out as well as a top 4 pairing.

Looking forward to meeting them again in reg season when it counts.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Doubtful Pearson won't be with Horvat. Once again Green has them tied at the hip.

I don't see nothing wrong with it.  If it ain't broke don't fix it kinda thing.  They know each other well.  They're responsible defensively, and even during preseason they've done well.  Just because you want to change it, doesn't mean they should change it.  If the Canucks need that extra goal, or if the line isn't playing well during the game, I'm sure TG will change it up.  But right now, there's no need.

• Cheers 1

I expect Pearson and Horvat to be together. I would have liked to see some different looks with Horvat in preseason though with all the new faces. Pearson with Horvat means they will likely draw shutdown duty again which is a real waste of Bo IMO with some good offensive options on the roster now. 

Having a 3rd line that can take on a big share of that shutdown role while also supplying some secondary scoring would be better. That’s where Pearson would be a real asset, say with Dickinson and Podkolzin. Hoglander-Horvat-Garland could be a 1A offensive line if freed from some of the shutdown and matchup stuff.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Dowling-Lockwood

I would be ok with that to start the year. Even that 4th line could play reasonable 5 on 5 minutes and probably not look out of place.