2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That blueline though tonight.

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Burroughs

Hunt-Bowey

Excited to see Hughes, but man thats going to be a high event hockey game from this group of 6.

Not happy about the roster forwards and defence.

If Green is still giving tryouts to guys that arent going to make the team, what is he doing???

It's impeative we come out strong this season (especially as start the season on a roadtrip)

If they look confused and disjointed playing with their linemates, this really is on the coachign staff for not having a productive camp.

One the other hand, if all these tryouts producs the best roster we can assemble, I guess Green knows what he is doing.

Not sure where  I currently sit regarding his decision to still have a bunch of AHL players in the lineup at this point.

Maybe he's planning on using the final preseason game for the real roster. After that, they have 4 days of practice to get ready for Game 1.

Perhaps that's enough time for Green to sort out issues he saw from the last preseason game

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Sharks have claimed Jonah Gadjovich off waivers.

Is this TG or JBs doing???

SMH

WHile guys like Focht, Dowling, Dries, Highmore, McEwan, Chiasson and Petan are still here...

Come one Gadj, go on and show what a donkey move this was.

We are rooting for you!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just took a quick look, interesting.

Benning's had 49 draft picks and only 6 are regular NHL players.

McCann, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and Hoglander

this is a tad disingenuous, since virtanen was a regular (albeit not very good) nhl player, tryamkin likely would be if he chose to be, and any or all of podkolzin, rathbone, lockwood, gadjovich, and juolevi will be as soon as this year. 

I'd also be curious to see you go through the same exercise for the rest of the GMs in the league. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, x00x said:

Hope not, if he fails with the SJ and already failed with the canucks why keep a failed experiment lol, i doubt we would regrab him if he did go on waivers from SJ lol

True enough.  Similar to Rafferty and Lind.  Expendable from a Canucks point of view .... we've moved on

22 minutes ago, Googlie said:

We'll claim him back when Sharks try to waive him

Sharks suck really bad though so he might have a good chance to stick with the main club or they can just waive some other player we likely would have zero interest in (cause they suck lol)

43 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

God dammit.  Should have waived him the day before the season starts.  He would be more likely to clear then.

Probably not.  There were apparently multiple teams that have put in a claim per Drance.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, KelownaCanucksFan said:

That’s why it was stupid to waive him, I don’t get what they were thinking waiving him with guys like digusepe and focht around

Green says Di Giuseppe was one of the good surprises at camp.  He likes his mind for the game and says he's past that rookie stage.  Green has kept him alongside Dickinson pretty much all through camp.  

With Sutter and Motte absent they need PKers and Green says it's easier to teach how to PK to more veteran players.  Di Giuseppe has less than 10 minutes of PK time in 201 NHL games but he's apparently played it a lot in practice.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Googlie said:

True enough.  Similar to Rafferty and Lind.  Expendable from a Canucks point of view .... we've moved on

I view Jonah in the same vein as Hunter Shinkurak or a Reid Boucher, career AHLers that just don't translate. Jonah looked completely lost in his stint last season and his numbers with Utica came in a very watered down league.

2 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I view Jonah in the same vein as Hunter Shinkurak or a Reid Boucher, career AHLers that just don't translate. Jonah looked completely lost in his stint last season and his numbers with Utica came in a very watered down league.

He played less than 5 minutes in his 1 and only NHL game.  Doesn't feel like he got much of an opportunity.

• Cheers 2

I'm baffled at the waiving of Gadjovich. From a pure asset management perspective, it makes sense to at least keep him as a spare forward instead of waiving him. If he is being picked up on waivers he clearly had some level of trade value.