The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don’t get the hype that management has with Burroughs. Does anybody else see anything there?

From what I've seen of him he looks entirely unspectacular but relatively steady. Won't do much of anything with the puck on his stick but won't really hurt you without it either. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

players in the 2nd round and later all have some sort of issue, size, skating, whatever, thats why they aren't in the 1st round. "Poor" (i.e. not NHL level yet) is more common than not and can be dealt with more than something like size.

Exactly, that person's take on second round draft picks is way off. He/she goes on to claim that one should be able to ensure all second rounders are bonafide NHL'ers (and then crucified JB). :picard: Why people make such definitive posts when they don't understand the basics I don't understand. Oh well. I blame it on the internet.

• Vintage 1

I don’t get the hype that management has with Burroughs. Does anybody else see anything there?

I think when looking for 7-8 d-man, low event hockey is what you are looking for and that doesn’t bring people out of their seats. 
I will wait to have a look at what we got from Panthers but I definitely would have chosen OJ aver Burroughs or Hunt. 

Definitely felt like the off-season went from really good to preseason feeling apprehensive.  Luckily preseason counts for nothing. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Well, for starters it's not good to have someone change position (Garland), put him on the top-line, and expect top-line production. That's asking for trouble. 

I also don't put a rookie in the top-6. That's a lot of minutes against the opponent's top-6 forwards. Too much to ask for a rook. Let them ease their way in before you can legitimately expect them to help you win. 

Like I said, I just wanted to see how they perform together because thanks to what occurred in camp, we never really saw the lines that we would expect in regular season. 

I agree with you, and although Podz has been playing in a men’s league, it’s still not the NHL. But, I would still play him in the top 6 to see if there is chemistry that can be built there.  So much line swapping last year, I really hope things can be defined more quickly this year but it doesn’t appear it will be that way yet.

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

From what I've seen of Gauthier, his hands make Beagle's look like Patrick Kane's.

big body, good on face offs... dunno, we can put better puck movers around him. With our lack of a true 4C candidate I'm curious if Jim goes for him.

What I cant recall is if he has OK speed or not.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

big body, good on face offs... dunno, we can put better puck movers around him. With our lack of a true 4C candidate I'm curious if Jim goes for him.

I think there's other options that JB would've explored if he was interested in filling that 4C spot via the waiver wire. Players like Gambrell would have been better fits/more interesting, at least IMO. I remember Gauthier being a lot like a Brendan Gaunce. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing, but it's not really a good thing either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don’t get the hype that management has with Burroughs. Does anybody else see anything there? He has been ok but nothing to warrant the amount of looks he has gotten.

"ok" is what you're looking for in a number 6-8, as opposed to "offensive flash but defensively terrifying" or "good guy who hits hard but has cement feet".

3 minutes ago, tas said:

"ok" is what you're looking for in a number 6-8, as opposed to "offensive flash but defensively terrifying" or "good guy who hits hard but has cement feet".

No, I just meant that we knew he was a 6-8 defenseman and maybe that time should have been used to set our top 6 dman and gain chemistry. I am not sure why he needed such a long look.

No, I just meant that we knew he was a 6-8 defenseman and maybe that time should have been used to set our top 6 dman and gain chemistry. I am not sure why he needed such a long look.

because he'll likely end up getting real minutes here and green needed to know what he's got. 

2-5 in the preseason. They haven't looked that good. Underwhelming actually, considering all of the "improvements" Benning made. Hughes is still getting too cute and losing the puck. Pettersson's one-timer from the slot is the same old predictable shot. Demko hasn't been good. Garland and Hoglander haven't been that good. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it's only preseason, but if they start the season chasing the pack, it could be a tough one. Maybe it'll be like a Whitecaps situation - once the head coach is replaced, maybe then they'll start to see results.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

2-5 in the preseason. They haven't looked that good. Underwhelming actually, considering all of the "improvements" Benning made. Hughes is still getting too cute and losing the puck. Pettersson's one-timer from the slot is the same old predictable shot. Demko hasn't been good. Garland and Hoglander haven't been that good. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it's only preseason, but if they start the season chasing the pack, it could be a tough one. Maybe it'll be like a Whitecaps situation - once the head coach is replaced, maybe then they'll start to see results.

I’ll give them a bit of leeway for the mediocre pre-season given that we were missing our (arguably) two best players and they were trying to integrate all the new faces and trying to figure out where they best fit together. But I’m not one to get overly negative before there is obvious reason to be. And to be hopeful is just a better mindset than to be than a perpetual doomer.

That said, if we were to come back after that road trip something like 1W - 5L my concern levels will be significantly elevated. They simply cannot be in “chase mode” this year. I’ve mentioned elsewhere that returning from the road trip, at minimum with a .500-ish record, would be acceptable.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, I guess it sucks when a top 4 dman takes his ball and goes home. 

Ya but should he be in the top 2? I think he would be good on the second set of defenseman pairings but he shouldn’t have been counted on to be used on the first. It was more by default because there was/is no one else. They need to address that somehow. 

Ya but should he be in the top 2? I think he would be good on the second set of defenseman pairings but he shouldn’t have been counted on to be used on the first. It was more by default because there was/is no one else. They need to address that somehow. 

there is a salary cap. which top player would you get rid of and which top 2 right d would you replace his dollars with, and how?

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

36 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think there's other options that JB would've explored if he was interested in filling that 4C spot via the waiver wire. Players like Gambrell would have been better fits/more interesting, at least IMO. I remember Gauthier being a lot like a Brendan Gaunce. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing, but it's not really a good thing either.

Gambrell, Brown, Stenlund... All better options IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya. I guess that tells you how weak our D may be this year.

That's the Hamonic effect.  It really screws the right side depth.  Green really needed to know who was the 3rd and 4th best right hander.  That was the biggest issue of the pre-season imo.

We all knew that the bottom 6 forward group was going to be fine.  It was just a matter of evaluating a lot of players.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

That's the Hamonic effect.  It really screws the right side depth.  Green really needed to know who was the 3rd and 4th best right hander.  That was the biggest issue of the pre-season imo.

We all knew that the bottom 6 forward group was going to be fine.  It was just a matter of evaluating a lot of players.

Well I don’t know about fine. The PK has been horrible. It is a concern.

• Vintage 1