The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Agent makes nothing if Benning tells him to pound sand and the players are making $0.

For these two players sure, they're making plenty off of the other players they represent.   in these situations, the agents always come out ahead, they risk the least in these stand offs.

Edited by snipes2539

I wonder what the hold up is..  Is it JB and ownership trying to nickel dime??  They got cap space to make a reasonable offer... They had the whole summer to figure it out but nope... Just need to drag on till start of season.... In the end, it's the team and fans that suffer!! Hughes and Petey don't owe us anything...  They won't mind missing games if it means maximizing their $$$!

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Watch them be 3 years @ $6.00MIL/ yr each.

Hope ur right though but highly unlikely!!! 

They are the best two players on the team who got all the bargaining power...  Petey will get closer to $8M and Hughes gets at least $6.5M+.... Our cap room isn't a business secret so the two of them will try to squeeze out 99% of the remaining pie! 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

That was definitely an age test.

I'm not surprised they are, they were a pretty solid band who kind of got swept into the hair metal lane

Out of the Cellar def paved some of the road for 80s bands to come 

But that was at least six years before my time, being a 90 baby 

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I wonder what the hold up is..  Is it JB and ownership trying to nickel dime??  They got cap space to make a reasonable offer... They had the whole summer to figure it out but nope... Just need to drag on till start of season.... In the end, it's the team and fans that suffer!! Hughes and Petey don't owe us anything...  They won't mind missing games if it means maximizing their $$$!

I doubt it is this, when they overpay for substandard help

I think it is more of the agent trying to nickel and dime if anything

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be great, but I don't think Petey wants long term in VAN.

My guess is he wants a short term (3-4 years) deal, and then he'll sign with whoever pays him most after that.

Pettersson  $7.5 x 4 years (backloaded where he makes $10 in his final year)

Hughes  $8 x 6 years

I don’t think your terribly far off. Friedman was figuring in his podcast that the Canucks and Pettersson have a agreed to 8m x 3 years. However Elias and Quinn agreed to not sign until they both had deals they liked.

Apparently the Canucks offered Quinn 5 x 5, but Quinn was asking for 8.5. Friedman figured Dahlin’s contract threw a wrench into both sides’ plans as the Canucks will have to come up and Hughes will have to come down. I bet within a week it gets solved. 

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I disagree.

They owe the Vancouver fans. We deserve more.

Yes, both players deserve to be paid. But considerations to the Vancouver fans who also deserve to support a winning team. ‘Team’ being the focus here. They have to leave something on the table for their present and future team members to also receive fair compensation. They also should respect what ownership and management and team are trying to accomplish. All should be putting the team first to reach the ultimate goal. They have to leave space for the GM to manoeuvre to improve the team. You do not want a Toronto scenario here where they have trapped and painted themselves into a corner.

…and just because a desperate GM of another franchise has chosen to self preserve or make a terrible decision by over paying its top tier players; should not be the only consideration to set the market price of a player comparable. As noted by another; send Hughes to New Jersey to let the brothers decide who should take a pay cut. This is just cutting to the point. It’s a team of brotherhood. It’s about their fans, it’s respect to ownership and GM and coaches and fellow team players. It should not be just about a me attitude. Ownership is leaving nothing on the table.  They alway spend near to the cap limit.

• Vintage 1