The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Wait and see the final results before we jump to conclusions 

It's nuts how personal some people take these things as fans. For us it's just game, for them this is their future and they need to do what's best for them and it's even more complicated with them both having the same agent and he has to make sure they both get equally fair deals. I do think there are break glass in case of emergency bridge deals that both sides would accept but both sides I'm sure have other options they prefer.

Plus with the Hamonic wrinkle possibly getting them up to 19-20 million in cap allowing for possibly 6-8 years for both nothing probably happens until then.

The twins were 2 days away from UFA before they signed, Landy was left exposed and signed hours before free agency and Horvat and Brock we're right before camp and those were just deals on their own not two guys stepped by the same agent.

Everyone turning on them need to realize Benning has a say to and maybe he's being just as prudent as their agent.

Better to miss a few pre-season games opposed to Benning pulling a Dubas or Guerin IMO.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Well with all the free time hopefully Elias, Quinn, and Brady are taking some nice bong rips in the Hughes family basement out there in Michigan and having some thought provoking conversations about life and what it will take to raise the cup once they finally sign.

That 70s Show GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

best case scenario if TH wants out is to package TH and a guy like Mac for rhd who can play a 5/6 role and pk.  I don't feel they have a rhd in their pipeline who can fill a regular spot, but TH is a solid piece, but they'd have to add a sweetener like Mac as they'd be dealing from a place of weakness.  

The cap would be the biggest issue, however

12 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

If he was under contract and missed training camp due to injury, no one would have an issue with him jumping straight into the regular season. These guys are professionals so missing a few warm up games won't do too much.

That is objectively just not true.  Players coming back from injury into the season largely Uber a hard time and say they were trying to play catch up all season.

Same as players holding out, they tend to to have subpar years.

Just look at the crappy quality of pre-season and early regular season games and you see it takes weeks to get their legs and timing right.  That is them all in the same boat, trying to do that when everyone else is in prime game shape is way harder.

Last year remember how being in game shape gave Hoglander a huge leg up on everyone else in camp?  He looked like the best player on the ice and managed to keep that momentum well into the season.

10 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

When you look at Hughes think of Phil Housely. American. 21 year playing career,  1232 points in 1495 games. 7 seasons with -10 or worse plus/minus. Overall was a -53. 5'10 and played at 180 to 185. Hall of famer.

I think fans who like Hughes see this as his possible future potential. 

That could be his path and would be great.  I like Hughes I just think his short track record and deficiencies make his hold out strategy at this stage unjustified.  Kind of a case of wanting to be paid now for what he might become instead of for what he has so far achieved. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, -Moose said:

Legit, that is a big concern. The way this fanbase can turn on you in an instant is worrying. If Petey holds out and then gets injured, or doesn't perform; you can almost guarantee fans/media will be tearing him apart and probably drive him out of town. Vancouver can definitely be toxic sometimes 

I’m always an advocate of good player/ fan relationships. But some players just cannot read their fans right.

I really hope Pettersson is a grounded individual.

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's nuts how personal some people take these things as fans. For us it's just game, for them this is their future and they need to do what's best for them and it's even more complicated with them both having the same agent and he has to make sure they both get equally fair deals. I do think there are break glass in case of emergency bridge deals that both sides would accept but both sides I'm sure have other options they prefer.

Plus with the Hamonic wrinkle possibly getting them up to 19-20 million in cap allowing for possibly 6-8 years for both nothing probably happens until then.

The twins were 2 days away from UFA before they signed, Landy was left exposed and signed hours before free agency and Horvat and Brock we're right before camp and those were just deals on their own not two guys stepped by the same agent.

Everyone turning on them need to realize Benning has a say to and maybe he's being just as prudent as their agent.

Better to miss a few pre-season games opposed to Benning pulling a Dubas or Guerin IMO.

Yup. It’s all “if so and so wants this or that then I’m done with these guys” or “screw them, trade em”

Seen it a lot. 

Everything is speculation of course too but you’re pretty bang on imo. It doesn’t define them and there’s alot of Bs floating around between the truth. As per usual.

JB is obviously holding his ground or these deals would be done by now but it’s not just the players. The agent and Jim are also reasons they are not here yet. 

Do we know what the offers on the table are? No we don’t but if I’m to speculate after seeing what we are paying Boeser, Horvat and Demko. I’m lead to believe they aren’t as high as people think and that’s why there isn’t a deal in place. 

But to go on rant about who or what nah. Cause facts remain we don’t have a clue 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I'm not convinced he will ever be able to execute the defensive side of the game to become that player he (and many fans) seem to think he is.  

He's already shown he can in the bubble and his rookie season. Much bigger sample size than a season that had him and the team in a no win situation from the start.

Jesus, he played 25+ minutes against 3 big heavy teams at 20 years old and broke 2 rookie records and had 17 points in 18 games against very good top lines. Why would that not be the better gauge compared to the shi* show they endured last season. Dahlin was like -37 this season and put up half the points yet for some reason he's only gonna get better while Quinn who is literally better in every aspect won't?

People are spending two much time on HF and the toxicity is messing with people. 

If anyone thinks Cale or Miro would be any better then Quinn if roles were reversed they wouldn't be.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’m always an advocate of good player/ fan relationships. But some players just cannot read their fans right.

I really hope Pettersson is a grounded individual.

I does seem like he tunes a lot of it out and he thinks the media is a joke, which is good. But he also has a big presence on social media, so has potential to be a big target

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

He's already shown he can in the bubble and his rookie season. Much bigger sample size than a season that had him and the team in a no win situation from the start.

Jesus, he played 25+ minutes against 3 big heavy teams at 20 years old and broke 2 rookie records and had 17 points in 18 games against very good top lines. Why would that not be the better gauge compared to the shi* show they endured last season. Dahlin was like -37 this season and put up half the points yet for some reason he's only gonna get better while Quinn who is literally better in every aspect won't?

People are spending two much time on HF and the toxicity is messing with people. 

If anyone thinks Cale or Miro would be any better then Quinn if roles were reversed they wouldn't be.

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Food for thought. Do you think Quinn would be a plus player on Colorado or a minus player? Personally I don’t think he’s better then Cale but makes ya think

His plus / minus would be better, but he's not as complete of a defenseman yet, you just have to watch them both in their own end to know that. 

Makar is a year older, and that needs to be accounted.

Overall, if I had the opportunity to lock Pettersson up for 9.5 x 8, I'd do it in a minute, he's shown that he can play both ends effectively.

Hughes, I would hesitate on 8 x 8 because he hasn't shown elite at both ends yet.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Food for thought. Do you think Quinn would be a plus player on Colorado or a minus player? Personally I don’t think he’s better then Cale but makes ya think

Hughes is an inferior player to both Makar and Heiskanen.  

We can't just bury our heads in the sand and ignore last season like it never happened.  

Montreal and Calgary were two teams that came into their games against us with a clear message to finish their checks on Quinn and it worked like magic. He didn't meet the challenge and committed a lot of turnovers. 

My opinion of Quinn hasn't changed based on his contract negotiations. I still hope that he gets back to his rookie year form. 

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Hes a full tier lower than CM and MH........at least.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

His plus / minus would be better, but he's not as complete of a defenseman yet, you just have to watch them both in their own end to know that. 

Overall, if I had the opportunity to lock Pettersson up for 9.5 x 8, I'd do it in a minute, he's shown that he can play both ends effectively.

Hughes, I would hesitate on 8 x 8 because he hasn't shown elite at both ends yet.

I think 99% of fans would accept that deal for Petey.

I’m worried that their camp thinks that 9.5 would only get 5 years max. They might not even be looking for anything over that for term.

Petey did talk about his next contract in his interview. Seems like a foregone conclusion it will be a shorter deal.

As for Hughes, at this point I think locking him in at around 8 long term is the way to go. His value will only go up. He will for sure be asking for 9+ on his next deal. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hughes is an inferior player to both Makar and Heiskanen.  

We can't just bury our heads in the sand and ignore last season like it never happened.  

Montreal and Calgary were two teams that came into their games against us with a clear message to finish their checks on Quinn and it worked like magic. He didn't meet the challenge and committed a lot of turnovers. 

My opinion of Quinn hasn't changed based on his contract negotiations. I still hope that he gets back to his rookie year form. 

Agree with both of you to certain degrees. People need to let go of last year. Seriously if anything it has helped with these negotiations as opposed to these are the players they are going to be.

I would lock up both long term if it was possible. Quinn obviously less the Petey. But when I look a Q Hughes there really isn’t much that separates him from the best in the league. I bet he can be the best offence Dman in the league. Even if he’s a step behind in the Dzone right now. He is a year younger then players mentioned and has been relied on as much or more then those guys on a team that wasn’t even close to being as good as Colorado 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is objectively just not true.  Players coming back from injury into the season largely Uber a hard time and say they were trying to play catch up all season.

Same as players holding out, they tend to to have subpar years.

Just look at the crappy quality of pre-season and early regular season games and you see it takes weeks to get their legs and timing right.  That is them all in the same boat, trying to do that when everyone else is in prime game shape is way harder.

Last year remember how being in game shape gave Hoglander a huge leg up on everyone else in camp?  He looked like the best player on the ice and managed to keep that momentum well into the season.

Not true, sportsnet has a good article on this.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/late-rfa-signings-recent-cases-resolved-players-performed/

I love that people are now worried about the cap. Lol 

we’ve been capped out and crap for 7 years but now when we have two young players that are game changes and we shouldn’t spend” play hard ball” “ stand pat” “screw them” “their  greedy” “ take less to build a winner” 

Really it’s hilarious.

Yet those  same  people defended bad signings and trades that put us up against the cap for players not even close to what these two offer and it cost us players for years now. 

we traded our cap freedom/ flexibility when we acquired OEL. 
3 year deals just mean we won’t be able to afford them in just three years OEL will still have 3 years remaining.

and Demko Boeser Miller horvat will all be looking for a big paydays to or will leave before OEL s contract expires. 

Time to pay these superstars and move on.

or 

we can watch what happens as the restless  mob fills the arena after an “ aggressive” offseason with winning the only acceptable outcome with or with out ep/hughes and the media loves the drama and is ready to serve it up. 

Both options have fantastic enterianment value.

I hope we just sign them.
long term would have been great but I doubt that’s in the cards at this point. 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think 99% of fans would accept that deal for Petey.

I’m worried that their camp thinks that 9.5 would only get 5 years max. They might not even be looking for anything over that for term.

Petey did talk about his next contract in his interview. Seems like a foregone conclusion it will be a shorter deal.

As for Hughes, at this point I think locking him in at around 8 long term is the way to go. His value will only go up. He will for sure be asking for 9+ on his next deal. 

You may very well be right on Hughes. Personally, would just like to see him rise above last years performance before locking him in. With his work ethic though, you are probably right on this.