The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

54 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Dahlin was like -37 this season and put up half the points yet for some reason he's only gonna get better while Quinn who is literally better in every aspect won't?

Dahlin is a better hitter than Quinn, so not better in literally every respect.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

yeaThe twins were 2 days away from UFA before they signed

By that time the twins had been in the league for about 9 years and were a well established name. It was a sure thing with them.

If Petey and Hughes are wanting the same kind of contract after less than 3 seasons it is a lot harder to justify because a lot of questions are still left unanswered.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, combover said:

I love that people are now worried about the cap. Lol 

People have always worried about the cap. It literally defines players from a fan standpoint. If a player makes too much money he’s “garbage” even if he’s a serviceable player 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, combover said:

it matters now. It didn't when we were clearly rebuilding. 

we traded our cap freedom/ flexibility when we acquired OEL. 

horse pucks. OELs deal on its own does not do this. At worst, with the retention by AZ he's overpaid by 1 mil, but also maybe not if he gets back into 40+ point territory and plays 25 minutes per night.

3 year deals just mean we won’t be able to afford them in just three years OEL will still have 3 years remaining.

and Demko Boeser Miller horvat will all be looking for a big paydays to or will leave before OEL s contract expires. 

Time to pay these superstars and move on.

or 

we can watch what happens as the restless  mob fills the arena after an “ aggressive” offseason with winning the only acceptable outcome with or with out ep/hughes and the media loves the drama and is ready to serve it up. 

Both options have fantastic enterianment value.

I hope we just sign them.
long term would have been great but I doubt that’s in the cards at this point. 

an offer sheet or trade may also be a possibility. This isn't over yet. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Quinn hughes last season 

56 3 38 41 -24

OEL 

46 3 21 24

Yotes  in a better division finished ahead of us in the standings  so the “ bad team” argument applies to hughes to. “Bounce back” excuse is also valid maybe even more so since he hasn’t hit his prime and the entire covid thing hurt his okay to. 

his agent shouldnt accept less than 7.5 based on what Nucks are willing to pay an old declining player that had similar stats and both were on bad teams. Geez even with covid decimation of the Canucks hughes out performed him.  

makar wasn’t on a terrible team with a terrible defensive system that saw every dman struggle. How’s Schmidt do here? 
mall plays to the agents argument for hughes. 

24 minutes ago, combover said:

we’ve been capped out and crap for 7 years but now when we have two young players that are game changes and we shouldn’t spend” play hard ball” “ stand pat” “screw them” “their  greedy” “ take less to build a winner” 

Really it’s hilarious.

Yet those  same  people defended bad signings and trades that put us up against the cap for players not even close to what these two offer and it cost us players for years now. 

we traded our cap freedom/ flexibility when we acquired OEL. 
3 year deals just mean we won’t be able to afford them in just three years OEL will still have 3 years remaining.

and Demko Boeser Miller horvat will all be looking for a big paydays to or will leave before OEL s contract expires. 

Time to pay these superstars and move on.

or 

we can watch what happens as the restless  mob fills the arena after an “ aggressive” offseason with winning the only acceptable outcome with or with out ep/hughes and the media loves the drama and is ready to serve it up. 

Both options have fantastic enterianment value.

I hope we just sign them.
long term would have been great but I doubt that’s in the cards at this point. 

The goal is to not overpay anyone whether it's the top of the lineup or the bottom.

Overpay EP and QH and we will have the depth problem and window closed almost immediately. See Chicago after Toewes and Kane got paid but at least they have 3 cups to show for.

Now is when the cap actually matters and that's why everyone is focussed on getting EP and QH signed on reasonable deals. We will have to let go of at least one of Miller, Boeser, or Bo if EP and QH's contracts are not reasonable.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it matters now. It didn't when we were clearly rebuilding. 

horse pucks. OELs deal on its own does not do this. At worst, with the retention by AZ he's overpaid by 1 mil, but also maybe not if he gets back into 40+ point territory and plays 25 minutes per night.

an offer sheet or trade may also be a possibility. This isn't over yet. 

So your hoping OEL can become a 40 point guy again while hughes IS a 40 point guy and in 56 games. Nucks willing to pay 7.2 for oel so I guess 7.5-8.5 for hughes is reasonable.

OEL contract in two or three seasons let alone 6 has the potential to be one of the leagues worst.

So yeah we gave up our flexibility in the not so distant future. 
OEL reminds me of Erik karlson when all the hype about him going to SJS ( yikes) 

4 minutes ago, combover said:

So your hoping OEL can become a 40 point guy again while hughes IS a 40 point guy and in 56 games. Nucks willing to pay 7.2 for oel so I guess 7.5-8.5 for hughes is reasonable.

OEL contract in two or three seasons let alone 6 has the potential to be one of the leagues worst.

So yeah we gave up our flexibility in the not so distant future. 
OEL reminds me of Erik karlson when all the hype about him going to SJS ( yikes) 

I'd be happy to pay Hughess 8x8

• Huggy Bear 4

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Some pundits, such as Friedman, have made comments about Benning wanting to have some cap space after signing them within our 14ish million of room. 

Yes, but as above, it sounds to me like Benning is trying to leave some space. If Hamonic is traded or retires, I'd like to see Benning lock P&H longer term and then find a Hamonic replacement once we get the cap relief from injuries after the season starts. 

We have >16M with Ferland’s LTIR and with Hamonic still on the roster. Using Ferland’s cap on Hughes and Petey hurts the team next summer.  Using that 2 extra M for depth and flexibility this year improves the teams chances of success over the next three years vs losing a player for pennies on the dollar to attempt to tread water over the next 2 off seasons as Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Hoglander etc… come for their raises after EP and QH set the precedent for money over success 

As for Hamonic’s money on anything but a short term D solution at this point is crazy.  Using it long term and having to potentially pay him next year makes the team’s future cap troubles even worse

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans are fickle and impatient. That's what over 50 years without winning does. They finally get the star forward and Dman they've needed for years - and they're deciding to hold out so they get as much as possible from the organization. 

Doing this creates huge expectations for them, and if they can't deliver, the fans will be angry. If Petey signs for $10M, you bet I want him to score 40+ every year. If Hughes signs the same, he better win the Norris, and they both better win the Cup in VAN. If not, it's a fail IMO. Huge expectations with contracts like that, at their ages. I'm not sure Pettersson or Hughes are ready for that kind of criticism from a fanbase waiting over half a century to win a championship.   

And I guess what also irks me a little is Pettersson seeming unsure where he'll play after this contract ends. I don't like it. 

That about sums it up for me too

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans are fickle and impatient. That's what over 50 years without winning does. They finally get the star forward and Dman they've needed for years - and they're deciding to hold out so they get as much as possible from the organization. 

Doing this creates huge expectations for them, and if they can't deliver, the fans will be angry. If Petey signs for $10M, you bet I want him to score 40+ every year. If Hughes signs the same, he better win the Norris, and they both better win the Cup in VAN. If not, it's a fail IMO. Huge expectations with contracts like that, at their ages. I'm not sure Pettersson or Hughes are ready for that kind of criticism from a fanbase waiting over half a century to win a championship.   

And I guess what also irks me a little is Pettersson seeming unsure where he'll play after this contract ends. I don't like it. 

Can't blame the guy for wanting to win as much as the rest of us. The only difference between us and him is that he has the ability to more easily choose who he's playing (rooting) for - as opposed to most of us that are steeped in Canuck land. 

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

By that time the twins had been in the league for about 9 years and were a well established name. It was a sure thing with them.

If Petey and Hughes are wanting the same kind of contract after less than 3 seasons it is a lot harder to justify because a lot of questions are still left unanswered.

we live in a different world now. best get used to it. 

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think waiting 50 years and still supporting the team like the fan base has kind of takes the “impatient” and “fickle” labels off the table.

Those are pretty much mutually exclusive…

50 years of mostly losing and still one of the most rabid fan bases in the league.  

That = loyal and patient

• Cheers 4

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks fans are fickle and impatient. That's what over 50 years without winning does. They finally get the star forward and Dman they've needed for years - and they're deciding to hold out so they get as much as possible from the organization

Maybe they are just holding out to get a fair deal...

• Haha 1