The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This is what did it for me. You come to camp out of shape and lay down like that? This was the year he was supposed to show something. 

Anyways, I’m glad we got rid of him and found a RHD. The forward is gravy.

Me too. Sometimes a guy who gets injured all the time is just unlucky. But other times, it’s a lack of dedication to conditioning.

When he was sprawled over the ice like a chump, it seemed obvious why he’s been unable to stay healthy in the past.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't recommend sifting through the absolutely ghastly takes at the beginning of the brock boeser thread, but it's worth noting there were people that were disappointed the canucks didn't draft juulsen instead. 

it might be a good exercise for those who think they know better than management, actually.  

What do you mean that Canucks fans from CDC are not the experts they claim to be?!!?!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t really buy the injuries excuse when a guy like Chychrun who was injured going into his draft year, is looking like a Norris calibre defensemen, right now. 

Yes, everyone knows all injuries are exactly the same, to the exact same body parts, causing players to miss the exact same amount of games.

So simple..................really.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Yes, everyone knows all injuries are exactly the same, to the exact same body parts, causing players to miss the exact same amount of games.

olli didn't have anything that countless others haven't overcome. 

he looked exactly the same in camp as he did in rookie camp 5 years ago. no improvement. injuries or not, that's unacceptable. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, tas said:

olli didn't have anything that countless others haven't overcome. 

he looked exactly the same in camp as he did in rookie camp 5 years ago. no improvement. injuries or not, that's unacceptable. 

Many players have career limiting or ending injuries, lets not pretend that Ollie is the only guy to have that happen.

Someone wants to compare him with Chycrun, well trot out the numbers and injuries, and do a fair comparison.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

Just now, gurn said:

Many players have career limiting or ending injuries, lets not pretend that Ollie is the only guy to have that happen.

Someone wants to compare him with Chycrun, well trot out the numbers and do a fair comparison.

I don't think a knee surgery would derail a career so thoroughly since it isn't 1974 anymore. it really seems more like the kid just doesn't have what it takes. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think a knee surgery would derail a career so thoroughly since it isn't 1974 anymore. it really seems more like the kid just doesn't have what it takes. 

mmm, how has Rousell's career looked since his knee injury, and surgery?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

What hurts is the expansion protection slot wasted on Olli. Lots of teams gave up good d-men for something rather than lose them for nothing. Similar to our move for Dickensen.

This part is true, might have saved Gads a spot on the team, even though they play different spots.

However you can only trade a guy when some other team says yes. So the timing is always variable.

Edited by gurn

Nucks might have picked up a solid d-man for pocket change from a team that was going to lose them anyway in the expansion draft and used Olli’s slot on the new dman. Strategy worked out nicely with Dickensen. Tons of teams didn’t have enough protection slots for all their dman.

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ya. I'm done with the excuses. I was done when I seen him laying on the ice during what should of been the training camp of his life. He will carve out a career Europe. NHL is for those that want it and even the ones that want it don't achieve it. Weak body, weak mind, slow, can't pivot quick enough. Waivers sometime this year and he will get injured in the AHL. He won't even show up at an NHL training camp next year. 

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

First thoughts on this trade: this is the second new player I was hoping to have on the roster for the start of the season (Gadjovich being the other). Both were traded.

So, I'm going to try an experiment. I really, really, really hope that Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat Hoglander and Demko make the team this year... Let's see what happens.

regards,  G.

Don't do that to us, man. :sadno:

• Like 1

I remember when I got reemed out a few years ago from some CDC'ers for expressing my concern with OJ's lackadaisical approach to the game, and how I thought he needed to play with a sense if urgency, like Tanev, and show he deserves a spot on the team. Too bad, because I had high hopes for him, and there's nothing worse than seeing such good talent have such poor drive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Yup, in the greater sense, it could become problematic to move out a number of higher level prospects. For the specific prospects listed, I'm sorta' kind of meh. None of these guys are deal breakers for how the current team has been put together. The biggest issue is that little to no return has come back for them. If Juulsen pans out, then the concerns raised in this thread are greatly reduced.

As to the traded 1st, I believe that Ekman-Larsson can shoulder a lot of defensive duties, which should help the offense now, and should allow Hughes (and assuming Rathbone)  some breathing room to develop. The other option (as I saw it) was for the Canucks to try and trade down 15 or so spots (and hope that someone like Ceulemans or Lambos were still there to be picked), and then wait maybe 5+ years for that guy to develop. Now, I'm okay with this deal.

Virtanen would only be (at best a bottom-6 player with the current team. Sure, I'd like the Canucks to have drafted Pastrnak other than Virtanen, but that's something which can't be changed, so I don't really care anymore.

Juolevi might have become a very good d-man for the Canucks. If wishes were fishes, I'd rather the Canucks had picked Cernak, Sergachev (sleepy) but as with Virtanen,  that's something which can't be changed, so I don't really care. The Canucks got back a young RD, who could become a decent player. Maybe Lammikko will try to stay iin the AHL/NHL, or maybe he will go back to Europe.

When was Lind ever going to be an NHL player, let alone a 3C? I don't even see him as becoming a 4C. With the Canucks he showed no significant promise in that area, and the Kraken are "developing" Lind at the AHL level, which would likely be where he'd start the season if he were still with the Canucks.

I would have liked to see Gadjovich start the season at 4LW. I think that there were/are a number of other guys who probably would have slid through waivers with barely a raised eyebrow. If he didn't work out sometime during the first month (or so), then try to trade him or waive him. Maybe he makes to Abbottsford, or maybe something comes back which is useful should he be traded.

regards,  G.

EDIT: I keep forgetting about McCann. My biggest issues with drafting him are, we could have gotten someone "better" )eg. Pastrnak), and that the deal that moved to Florida didn't work out for the Canucks. Otherwise, I don't really miss him. Hope he does well for the rest of his career (except against the Canucks).

Good post. I really wanted Sergachev over OJ but Chychrun has turned out to be a stud. 10th in Norris votes isn’t to shabby. Imagine just that one addition to this years team?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Nucks might have picked up a solid d-man for pocket change from a team that was going to lose them anyway in the expansion draft and used Olli’s slot on the new dman. Strategy worked out nicely with Dickensen. Tons of teams didn’t have enough protection slots for all their dman.

Blue jackets picked up Jake Bean (young, right side dman) for a 2nd after the expansion draft (where he was left exposed). Prob could have gotten for a 3rd before expansion draft. Most thought Krakken would take Bean. He is playing on 2nd pairing in Columbus now.

So now that the lost pick value has been beaten to death (please god, let it be done).....

Should we be optimistic about what we have in Lammikko? Has anyone watched FLA last season and noticed him? do we have something decent to add to the bottom 6? another Motte?

He's got good size and seems to have good scouting reports but I know nothing about this guy. Just wondering if this guy might be the trade piece that sticks with the team.

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Good post. I really wanted Sergachev over OJ but Chychrun has turned out to be a stud. 10th in Norris votes isn’t to shabby. Imagine just that one addition to this years team?

Welcome back, hope things are going well, for you and your family.

Chycrun instead of Olllie in a heartbeat now; as Jeff is equal or better than Quinn.

Ollie was not a bad pick, but not a good pick either.

At some point the Canucks are really going to need to look at how they develop players. Seems like just as important a piece as the actual drafting.

• Thanks 1