The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vitali Kravtsov requests trade

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

I wonder if Gadjovich + Juolevi for Kravtsov would have been possible? I mean both are upgrades on players IMO currently on their roster. 

I doubt it. But I am also really high on Kravtsov so there's that. Juolevi has very public issues with conditioning and health. And Gadjovich while I really like him is a 3rd line hopeful. He's very likely a career 4th liner from the looks of it.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:31 PM, PLOGUE said:

If you offered me 70k to ride a bus, play hockey, eat restaurant food, be away from my family and friends I'd very quickly turn it down. The requirements that hockey teams have on their players extends beyond the ice. They tell you what you can and can't eat, how late you can stay out, when and where you travel, etc. Now imagine being an ocean away from home, have a language barrier and being told your new home (when you are there) is in bloody Hartford.  Yeah, hard pass.

It is extremely cut throat and difficult, you get treated like crap. Dealing with injuries, having to fight guys, huge expectations on performance - keeping in peak physical shape etc. If you are going through mental health challenges or struggling I am sure it is not taken very well. A friend of mine who was captain at RIT when Tanev played there said going to the ECHL sucked. Minor pro hockey is not nearly as enjoyable as playing in the NCAA. The ECHL is a bit different as it doesn't even pay a living wage but I am sure a lot of the same rules apply. Said the best part was getting free food at the local bar. 

The difficult thing for a lot of these guys is anyone playing in the AHL or ECHL was likely a local star, always playing in scoring roles. But the reality is such a tiny percentage are good enough to be NHL scorers that they have to become physical players, block shots etc, do anything they can to keep going and it is not as fun as "Playing a game". Some guys are wired that way and love it but its not glamourous. The best route is going to Europe if you are not going to make the NHL. 

12 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

The difficult thing for a lot of these guys is anyone playing in the AHL or ECHL was likely a local star, always playing in scoring roles. But the reality is such a tiny percentage are good enough to be NHL scorers that they have to become physical players, block shots etc, do anything they can to keep going and it is not as fun as "Playing a game". Some guys are wired that way and love it but its not glamourous. The best route is going to Europe if you are not going to make the NHL. 

Yeah, most players in junior are like that as well. They're really good players, scoring goals and accumulating points like crazy. But then they come into the NHL, and they're no longer the player that's scoring goals and getting points, so they either have to change their game to remain in the league or they're out to Europe  or the KHL somewhere. 

I think that's kind of what happened with Virtanen, though with him, there's an issue with work ethic. 

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would you do that deal? 

Klimovich for Kravtsov?

No.

Even if they’re convinced he’s a gamebreaker he has too many red flags now.

It wouldn’t be long before Green scratched him and he fled back to the KHL.

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

what kind of red flags would you be talking about with him and his game? 

The fact that he’s already used the KHL as a bargaining chip means that if he doesn’t like the team he’s traded to or his contract offer he  could just sign long term in Russia.

Too risky to give up a top prospect for. A 3rd round pick and a B prospect and I might go for it.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would you do that deal? 

Klimovich for Kravtsov?

I would do that in a heartbeat if these scouting reports are even partially true. Only reason to say no is we're hurting on organizational depth down the middle. I am assuming we'd be allowed to talk to Kravtsov and see if he'd be willing to come here. So that point is hard to debate since only the organization would be able to tell if he does or doesn't want to be here.

From what I am reading of his scouting reports though he has great hands and amazing speed. And he puts in effort on defense. He may not be a great defender but the effort is there, stylisitically compared to Kovalev. Not a great defender but won't float on defense. A big reason his draft stock went up as much as it did was because he had a great playoff showing. If he's a playoff gamer, that's more reason to target him. With Podkolzin here I think he can help Kravtsov along.

The lazy assessment is to say "Entitled Russian, don't want." But I think there's too much talent to just write him off. If he were a Canuck we'd be complaining he's not being utilized properly, case in point Tryamki. People still blame Willie D for handling Tryamkin poorly. Who's to say NY isn't utilizing Kravtsov properly? For reference, Kakko has 0 points in 9 games so far. Something in NY ain't working out for their stud kids. Could be a case of buying low on a stud prospect. I'd for sure be asking about Kravtsov's price and whether or not he'd be willing to come here. If he was willing to come here and the ask was only Klimovich, as much as I like him. I am doing that deal in a heartbeat.