The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Oct. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Makar is an absolute match up beast, so athletic. Fox is playing 27/28 minutes a night, killing penalties, taking top match ups. Some great young D the last cpl years. 

Including Hughes who might not be the best of them?  But is still ahead of the curve even in a V good group! 

Makar, Hughes, Heskainen, McAvoy, Fox, Chychrun, Dahlin, Dobson in no particular order, Drysdale, Romanov & Boqvist might get there...

Am I missing anyone?

A couple of names I would add to your list are Mikail Sergachev and Thomas Chabot. Not at quite the same level but a personal favourite is Ryan Pulock who doesn’t have the same offensive flair but is a stud on the blue line.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, khay said:

No, I just love Hughes and the Canucks players and hate every player from every other team.

Not gonna lie. Points awarded for the unashamedly blatant homerism.

What if Hughes got traded though? Both of your statements couldn’t be true!

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Edited by wallstreetamigo

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It always reeks of tremendous insecurity to me when people need to slag on good young players on other teams in an attempt to pump up one of ours.

Makar and Hughes are BOTH guys that dominate play with their offensive skills. 

Anyone who says Makar only gets easy points by shoveling it to Mackinnon has clearly never watched him play. 

And anyone who says Hughes dangles defenders and scores many different ways is ignoring his whopping 3 goals last year. He has 12 career goals in 133 games. Makar, for the record, has 20 goals in 105 games.

Just pointing out that Makar gets way more credit than he deserves. Makar does get a fair share of points from shovelling it to world class teammates that Hughes doesn't have.

Hughes doesn't score many goals but he creates goals. Don't think anyone is stupid to suggest that Hughes scores better than Makar, to the point that some random dude, aka @wallstreetamigo, needs to point it out as if though it's a novel prize worthy finding. Hughes creates scoring chances like McKinnon does for the Avs. Makar doesn't do that for the Avs. That's just plain simple fact. Anyone that thinks Makar does what Hughes does, clearly haven't watched Makar play. 

Yes, both are great players. Makar dominates the play especially well once the puck is in the offensive zone perhaps better so than Hughes and obviously Makar passes the puck extremely well. "Shovelling" the puck to Nate is easier said than done obviously. It's laughable that some people will take "shovelling" the puck to Nate literally means shovelling it to Nate; it's just a literary device used to point out that some of Makar's points does come a bit easier than Hughes and that his higher PPG pace is probably due to the difference in teammate quality than the difference in the two players' abilities.

Thanks for your insights. Learned exactly nothing :)

• Like 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Not gonna lie. Points awarded for the unashamedly blatant homer in.

What if Hughes got traded though? Both of your statements couldn’t be true!

I love Hughes because he plays for Canucks lol

Figure it out bro 

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Just pointing out that Makar gets way more credit than he deserves. Makar does get a fair share of points from shovelling it to world class teammates that Hughes doesn't have.

Hughes doesn't score many goals but he creates goals. Don't think anyone is stupid to suggest that Hughes scores better than Makar, to the point that some random dude, aka @wallstreetamigo, needs to point it out as if though it's a novel prize worthy finding. Hughes creates scoring chances like McKinnon does for the Avs. Makar doesn't do that for the Avs. That's just plain simple fact. Anyone that thinks Makar does what Hughes does, clearly haven't watched Makar play. 

Yes, both are great players. Makar dominates the play especially well once the puck is in the offensive zone perhaps better so than Hughes and obviously Makar passes the puck extremely well. "Shovelling" the puck to Nate is easier said than done obviously. It's laughable that some people will take "shovelling" the puck to Nate literally means shovelling it to Nate; it's just a literary device used to point out that some of Makar's points does come a bit easier than Hughes and that his higher PPG pace is probably due to the difference in teammate quality than the difference in the two players' abilities.

Thanks for your insights. Learned exactly nothing :)

This is probably the stupidest explanation of an already mind numbingly stupid statement I have ever seen on cdc.

32 GM’s including Benning would take Makar for Hughes in a 1 for 1 trade.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

Decent win but can't say it was the start after a brutal showing in Buffalo the Canucks wanted in the first. Beating Chicago however seems not as hard as it used to be. Their team looks disjointed. Collition might be the first coach to go (maybe Ducharme as well) to start the season if the slide continues.

Demko played well; Garland is a fun yet tiny player to watch....Petey....not sure what's going on with him. Doesn't look laser focused at times.

Edited by BureBurrito

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The way Garland protected the puck on that empty netter was hilarious.

actually I was kind of.. well not like laughing but he must have  thought, omg "i'm NOT going to screw this up and in scared shi_less not to so push push push it ahead until it 2 feet away from the goal line.. I guess it got an eye roll out of me but was happy to see it go 4-1 and game over no matter what! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

hmm, he plays dowling more and he scores. he plays dickinson more and he scores. maybe the coach of the f---ing team has some insight into which players are going and which aren't and knows what he's doing?

I've never seen it honestly. all hype and name. 

hmm Dowling scores at 6 minutes of the first then ends the game -2

Dickinson scores at 16 minutes of the first then does not get another shot on net

Correlation does not imply causation

Dickinson is the better player, he should be playing more

I am not sure Jason Megna couldn't contribute at the Justin Dowling level

Green needed to bring Chiasson back into the lineup just to get Dowling off the PP

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

actually I was kind of.. well not like laughing but he must have  thought, omg "i'm NOT going to screw this up and in scared shi_less not to so push push push it ahead until it 2 feet away from the goal line.. I guess it got an eye roll out of me but was happy to see it go 4-1 and game over no matter what! 

No one wants to be the next Patrik Stefan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It always reeks of tremendous insecurity to me when people need to slag on good young players on other teams in an attempt to pump up one of ours.

Makar and Hughes are BOTH guys that dominate play with their offensive skills. 

Anyone who says Makar only gets easy points by shoveling it to Mackinnon has clearly never watched him play. 

And anyone who says Hughes dangles defenders and scores many different ways is ignoring his whopping 3 goals last year. He has 12 career goals in 133 games. Makar, for the record, has 20 goals in 105 games.

This. 

Give respect where respect is due. Hughes is the better skater but Makar's offence > Hughes. 

There are many amazing young players around the league not wearing a Canucks jersey that I really enjoy watching. They make the competition and the games against them something to look forward to. 

Pitting our young core against another team's. Adds to the excitement. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

No one wants to be the next Patrik Stefan

Exactly what I was thinking.

You gotta love the effort of Garland compared to the nonchalant empty net breakaway goals that you usually see from players like Stefan.

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So if Hughes got traded for Makar you would love Makar and hate Hughes? And all your comments about them would suddenly be reverse true?

ya that feels like a good place to end this conversation.

lol, no, let's not end conversation, this is fun :)

No, my comments would not change. I'm not going to say Makar dominates like Hughes and Hughes dominates like Makar just because they switch teams.

The fact is, Hughes dominates in a totally different way from Makar and IMO, dominating the game like Hughes as a defenceman is far more valuable to a team like the Canucks who doesn't have a Nate MacKinnon. And if Hughes goes to the Avs, Hughes will get more points just because he plays with MacKinnon. That's a fact. Anyone denying this is lying to just to make their points. Them switching teams don't have anything to do with my comment that Makar does get points easier compared to Hughes.

If they are traded, I would love Makar even if he doesn't dominate the game like Hughes and not love Hughes as much as I love him now. That's all there is to it.

The way they play doesn't change. How silly of you.

• Like 2