The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Oct. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Me too. We've looked pretty bad in the offensive zone this year, if it wasn't for some great individual efforts moving the puck we'd be in big trouble. I just don't understand why Green can't seem to motivate this group on a consistent basis.

Its like the team has too much talent for Green to know what to do with.

Yeah I don't think that's the problem :lol:

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

If the team wins in Seattle I would consider it a great start. Going over 500 in a pretty rough road stint to start the season, all while missing 2/3 of the 4th line, our best penalty killers, and our 'best player' mostly invisible. 

I get what's your saying, but at the same time by your logic that Detroit game should have been an easy win if Greise doesn't stand on his head for 60 minutes. Doesn't matter how you get points on the road, only matters that you do.

The Buffalo game sucked. No ifs, ands, or buts (even though I was on a group dog walk and missed the last 2 periods, so I actually didn't see them lay the egg). But in the rest of the games I have felt that the effort has been there, and besides some brain farts here and there they have generally been well played games. Personally, I'm not concerned with this team being perfect. I'm primary concern is them giving it their very best every night.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

disagree, points are generally obtained by good play, getting "unearned" points is not a sound strategy.

Same for home games incidentally.

I agree with both points

Coming back from a 7 game roadtrip with a winning record while facing multple home openers is pretty good.

If we are able to achieve this while Hughes missed a game, Boeser missed 3, Petterson not quite himself yet, missing Motte, Sutter and Hamonic, I think that's pretty good

What it doesnt mean though is that we should be content and rest on our laurels with what we accomplished because there also were many holes in our game that needs sharpening.

I think Canucks need to figure out how to beat a heavy forecheck.  It did them in last year and it very well could again this year.

They also need to figure out special teams.

A lot of errant passing seems to be more of a timing issue and a familiarity issue.

These guys played hockey their entire lives.  It's not that they dont know how to pass.  Hopefully a solid homestand and practice time with their respective lines and pairings will help them figure it out.

• Upvote 3

I’m skeptical. I still see a ton of sloppy play in both ends of the ice and routinely see the same mistakes as last season.

You can say a wins a win which is fine but for some reason the Canucks seem to always come out flat. You can recover as the game goes on against bad to mediocre teams like the ones they have been playing but it’s going to be a tough hill to climb if you get down against good teams early and have to claw your way back into it heavily relying on great goaltending and a few lucky bounces which seems to be a common theme at least from the eye test. I don’t think they play a sustainable way of hockey for long term success over 82 games.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

How is 3 months into being 30 years old the wrong side of 30? Hahaha 

You also have to consider how the average wage of a decent defender goes up over time making OELs look better. That has already occurred this year with multiple 9m per year contracts being handed out. Until he starts to suck, no sense in spinning OEL in a negative light.

Well, the statement "wrong side of" means you have passed a milestone as set out by the very statement itself. Once one reaches said milestone, they are said to be on the "other side" of it. That's kinda the whole purpose of why that phrase was created.

As for "spinning OEL in a negative light", my statement was a direct response to a post saying that it was an amazing trade. My point being that we really won't know how the entire trade plays out until OEL's contract is up.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I hope you're right. But it's been 5 games.

He was cheap because he hadn't played like a top pairing guy in a few years and still had 6 years left on his contract @ big money. Not many teams wanted to touch that contract.

If he regains his top pair form consistently and long-term then it was a fantastic job by management/scouting to believe that he would flourish in a new environment.

Personally I'm not surprised that he's playing well but I would be surprised if he's back in the Norris conversation like he was in his prime.

We can enjoy it in the moment but it's very premature to call this yet, either way.

He's looked good all camp and preseason games as well.

I didnt watch arizona games so I have no idea what his issue was last season but from what I can see, he possesses a really high hockey IQ and his skating is solid. His puck skills are also very good.  The way he runs PP is solid as well and he gets his shots through.

The guy makes good decisions whereas , last year, I was wondering what the hell Schmidt was doing half the time.

It really could be fit.  Maybe OEL is fit for Canucks style of play whereas Schmidt needs to go on a more aggrssive team. who know...

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why should that be noted?

Why shouldn't it? People are comparing Hughes' achievement to other guys who hit that 100 point total in their career.. Should we not talk about any other player who will (likely) surpasses Hughes in this achievement? I believe it is relevant to compare these two players, who were contenders for the Calder.

Once again, I'm not taking anything away from Hughes (except in some other posters minds). Hopefully Hughes will score his next 100 points in even fewer games than it took him to get the first 100 (which would suggest team success). Maybe Hughes will even get to 200 points in fewer games than it takes Makar to get there.

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well, the statement "wrong side of" means you have passed a milestone as set out by the very statement itself. Once one reaches said milestone, they are said to be on the "other side" of it. That's kinda the whole purpose of why that phrase was created.

As for "spinning OEL in a negative light", my statement was a direct response to a post saying that it was an amazing trade. My point being that we really won't know how the entire trade plays out until OEL's contract is up.

His contract is pretty buyout friendly from what I've read but I'm hoping that he plays solid until the contract is up.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Me too. We've looked pretty bad in the offensive zone this year, if it wasn't for some great individual efforts moving the puck we'd be in big trouble. I just don't understand why Green can't seem to motivate this group on a consistent basis.

Its like the team has too much talent for Green to know what to do with.

Pettersson seems out of it. Shorthouse made a comment that it looks like Petey is thinking the game but not playing it, that's not a bad point. 

I've liked the Garland line, and your not going to get as much from the bottom 6. It's the Pettersson line that needs to create more.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

His contract is pretty buyout friendly from what I've read but I'm hoping that he plays solid until the contract is up.

its not bad, if he's bought out in his last year saves over 3 mil so depending on who's replacing him we may not need to do anything drastic to shed his salary if it comes to that. I think we're a long way from his discussion tho. 

Pettersson is still trying to find his timing and his game, as he missed camp and most of preseason

Boeser missed most of the preseason and the first few games due to an injury and is also finding his stride after returning

Once these two guys get up to speed and get going, the top line and PP will score in bunches

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, tas said:

maybe the conclusion you should be drawing isn't that green coaches two totally different, almost contradictory things, but that players aren't executing things as drawn up?

Nope it Green and Green alone. Not like he has anyone to help him on the bench you know like assistant coaches or players to own up to bad plays. Nope we win Green did nothing towards the win. We lose it all Green and his system not a team lose but a Green lose.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’d call it an ugly 3-2-1, but anytime you come home from a 6 game road trip with 50% of available points or more I think you call it a win. Especially if that road trip is to open the season. 

I wasn’t as sold on Chicago’s off-season as some people seemed to be. He could end up being the scapegoat here.  

Ya their off-season felt like a last desperate stand for Bowman more than Colliton really.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

So there isn't a Dman playing in the NHL today that has made it to 100 points in fewer games than Quinn. How impressive is that.

Fewest games to reach 100 points this century.

That's pretty incredible to think.

If he can shore up his defense (which he's done much better this year), glad Canucks have him locked up.

Hughes will never outmuscle a guy. He needs good awareness and a quick active stick and that's what hes done this year.

Rathbone needs to learn to do the same.

When Hughes was holding out, I was a proponent of a Dahlin for Hughes trade but in hindsight, I'm glad we kept our guy. I think we got good value

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Nope it Green and Green alone. Not like he has anyone to help him on the bench you know like assistant coaches or players to own up to bad plays. Nope we win Green did nothing towards the win. We lose it all Green and his system not a team lose but a Green lose.  

Literally no one has said this. Greens systems and coaching are certainly a big contributing factor to the team losing games though.