The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Zach Whitecloud

hey thats Poolman money.

24 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

They probably see him as their #4 in the future.

This would obviously be a great price if he can play that role.

seems like a high bar for him full time, maybe a 4/5 who can jump up to fill in on occasion in the top 4?

• Cheers 2

Excellent for VGK.  I thought he was one of VGK's better defenders in our series against them back in the bubble.  Good value for a good defensive and possession guy.  Might even develop some offensive upside as the years go on (that's if VGK doesn't trade him like they normally do with all the players they re-sign).

Much better than what some other teams gave out.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Seems like GMJB may have set a precedent with a full-time NHLer, consistent, bottom pairing RHD who can play top-4 minutes at times with the Poolman signing. Been a big fan of Whitecloud, would have loved to see him in Vancity. Six years is a long time but 2.75 is low risk.

I think that bar was set way before the Poolman signing.  RHD who can play top 4 minutes are very hard to find.  Look at how much we need to get a guy like Hamonic in the lineup.  Having Hamonic around greatly helps Poolman and takes away some of the hard minutes from him.  Myers, Hamonic and Poolman will actually be a solid right side for us.  Our biggest issue right now is finding a LHD to replace Rathbone who needs to go to Abby to refine his defensive game.  Hunt is not an NHL'er so Benning will need to make a trade to upgrade that position.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I think that bar was set way before the Poolman signing.  RHD who can play top 4 minutes are very hard to find.  Look at how much we need to get a guy like Hamonic in the lineup.  Having Hamonic around greatly helps Poolman and takes away some of the hard minutes from him.  Myers, Hamonic and Poolman will actually be a solid right side for us.  Our biggest issue right now is finding a LHD to replace Rathbone who needs to go to Abby to refine his defensive game.  Hunt is not an NHL'er so Benning will need to make a trade to upgrade that position.

I agree that there's been a premium on RHD for a while, but were we really seeing deals for 2.5-2.75 (indexed to cap) for 4+ years? It was more solid top-4 guys getting big deals.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Great deal. 

Honestly, I think for Vegas, the city really sells itself for players.

Imagine being a multi-millionaire sports star in a city like Vegas. Sounds like fun to say the least.

Plus you can buy a mansion for 500K in the desert amd a Ferrari for 200K, both combined less than buying a one bedroom condo in surrey :lol:

• Cheers 1