The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the worst contract that departing Canuck players signed ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What I would do for a Dman like Ohlund just now.... could care less if he didn't score a goal the next couple of years. 

He was very much like late Edler in his later years. He had some giveaways. If you didn't like late Edler , you wouldn't have liked late Ohlund.

We should have signed Edler for 1 year , 3.5 m imo 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Vintage 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He was very much like late Edler in his later years. He had some giveaways We should have signed Edler for 1 year , 3.5 m 

Agree... its not till they leave, we realize, what we had...

Not enough money though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it has to be Error-hoff. Dodged a bullet there.

Yep we sure the heck did.   But be careful what you say, some believe he was amazing on this site.   For me not re-signing Mitchell cost us the cup.   

Edit:  And yes i get the circumstances.    The guy wasn't here long ... but his Pratt awards were deserving.   Salo was around too so get why the club didn't want two guys who had some serious health concerns.   Ballard.   Ugh.  So close but just not the right mix. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep we sure the heck did.   But be careful what you say, some believe he was amazing on this site.  

he was sheltered so much here you'd think he would have wanted to stay.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me not re-signing Mitchell cost us the cup.   

Edit:  And yes i get the circumstances.    The guy wasn't here long ... but his Pratt awards were deserving.   Salo was around too so get why the club didn't want two guys who had some serious health concerns.   Ballard.   Ugh.  So close but just not the right mix. 

yeah that sucked, Gillis was too concerned about concussions and really made a mistake on that one.

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it has to be Error-hoff. Dodged a bullet there.

In a way , it wasn't a dodged bullet because Mike Gilles had no intention of signing him for anywhere near that term or money. And neither did the fanbase. He would have been great to keep but I don't remember anyone complaining that we should have kept him. 

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep we sure the heck did.   But be careful what you say, some believe he was amazing on this site.   For me not re-signing Mitchell cost us the cup.   

Ehrhoff was amazing. But the term and money still made the decision easy. 

I agree that not having Mitchell cost the cup. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

In a way , it wasn't a dodged bullet because Mike Gilles had no intention of signing him for anywhere near that term or money. And neither did the fanbase. He would have been great to keep but I don't remember anyone complaining that we should have kept him. 

he had so much help tho, from Hamhuis, Salo, Edler, etc. He didn't deserve that deal on his own, which we saw play out in Buffalo. We would have had to give up on a better d-man to keep him.

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We scored 8 goals in 7 games. That's what cost us the cup.

Team defence and Luongo (in those 3 wins) is the only reason we got it to a game 7.

Definitely true, but our team defense and Luongo also didn't really help in our four losses. The offense is more to blame than the defense, but it's not devoid of blame either.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Definitely true, but our team defense and Luongo also didn't really help in our four losses. The offense is more to blame than the defense, but it's not devoid of blame either.

Game 6 was a gong show from the get go. Luongo was very bad in that one and was pulled. But in the other 3 losses (including the 8-1 blow out in game 3) the score was no worse than Boston 1-0 halfway through the game. So to lay blame on the defence isn't really fair. The offence was anemic. Though losing Hamhuis in game 2 (tore an olblique hip checking Lucic) didn't help.

10 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Every year for the another seven seasons, Ehrhoff will paid out $857,143 a year, or $6 million in total. I think he's the one who got the last laugh.

Lol true, lucky him, 1/2 (cashing in but not winning it all) ain't half bad I guess.
Somewhere Ricky DiPietro and everyone on Robidas Island must be laughing all the way to the bank.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

That being said our PP never looked as dangerous again as it did with the Hoff. Although I fully agree.

You'd be surprised if you went back and looked at the percentage - despite leading the league, compared to our fourth overall one a few years ago....

18 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Players that we never resigned, who went on to get contracts with new teams. There's a few notable defenseman. I remember for most of these, the fanbase agreed it was best to let them go, because their next contract wouldn't be worth it. And we were right.

Christian Ehrhoff 10 years, 40 million. Would have been under contract this year still ! Bought out in 2014.

Matthius Ohlund. 7 years, 26 million. He had no goals and 13 assists in 2009/10. He would end the 2011 season with 72 games played but no goals scored with only five assists.  Öhlund finally scored a goal in a Tampa Bay uniform, an empty-netter in game 2 of the opening round, a 5-1 win over the Penguins in Pittsburgh. He would go on to add two assists over the 18 games the Lightning played before being eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins in the seventh game of the Eastern Conference Finals. He hasn't skated since.

Ed Jovanovski. 5 years, 32.5 million. That's a 6.5 million dollar cap hit in the the 2006/2010 world.

Cory Schneider 7 years, 42 million.

Who else ?  Ehrhoff will be tough to beat.

To be fair, Ehrhoff was going to Buffalo to win a Cup.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1