The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the worst contract that departing Canuck players signed ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

Players that we never resigned, who went on to get contracts with new teams. There's a few notable defenseman. I remember for most of these, the fanbase agreed it was best to let them go, because their next contract wouldn't be worth it. And we were right.

Christian Ehrhoff 10 years, 40 million. Would have been under contract this year still ! Bought out in 2014.

Matthius Ohlund. 7 years, 26 million. He had no goals and 13 assists in 2009/10. He would end the 2011 season with 72 games played but no goals scored with only five assists.  Öhlund finally scored a goal in a Tampa Bay uniform, an empty-netter in game 2 of the opening round, a 5-1 win over the Penguins in Pittsburgh. He would go on to add two assists over the 18 games the Lightning played before being eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins in the seventh game of the Eastern Conference Finals. He hasn't skated since.

Ed Jovanovski. 5 years, 32.5 million. That's a 6.5 million dollar cap hit in the the 2006/2010 world.

Cory Schneider 7 years, 42 million.

Who else ?  Ehrhoff will be tough to beat.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hardly fair putting Schneider there considering his problems were suffering a major injury after signing that contract.  Guy was playing at a pretty high level prior to that. I'm talking Vezina candidate type of level of performance.

Ohlund wasn't a bad D-man either until he got hurt. But injuries are a reality of the game. Schneider had to be bought out.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Matthius Ohlund. 7 years, 26 million. He had no goals and 13 assists in 2009/10. He would end the 2011 season with 72 games played but no goals scored with only five assists.  Öhlund finally scored a goal in a Tampa Bay uniform, an empty-netter in game 2 of the opening round, a 5-1 win over the Penguins in Pittsburgh. He would go on to add two assists over the 18 games the Lightning played before being eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins in the seventh game of the Eastern Conference Finals. He hasn't skated since.

He was definitely no worth the money or term (7 years, yikes), but I heard he played a big role in Hedman's transition to the NHL as a fellow Swede on that team and a veteran.

Not in terms of stats but just being accustomed to the NA lifestyle as a fresh off he boat 18 year old Swede, and being more comfortable with communicating with his teammates.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Schneider wasn't really a bad contract.  The Devils got Vezina finalist caliber years out of Schneider.

Ehrhoff was terrible.

Anson Carter probably got overpaid by his next team as well.

Anson Carter got a 1 year contract at the very end of the summer the season after he had his big year with the Sedins. It was his last year in the league. He would play in Switzerland for a year before retiring.

If he had re-signed, he would have gotten a bigger contract with term.

14 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Anson Carter got a 1 year contract at the very end of the summer the season after he had his big year with the Sedins. It was his last year in the league. He would play in Switzerland for a year before retiring.

If he had re-signed, he would have gotten a bigger contract with term.

He went for the money after that Sedin year, simply to the highest bidder with no other considerations.  He then immediately played his way out of the league, getting traded mid-year, getting one point in his last ten games, and then nobody in the NHL ever being interested again.

Obviously not the kind of long term albatross deal that Ehrhoff signed, but neither of Carter's next two teams were thrilled.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Schneider wasn't really a bad contract.  The Devils got Vezina finalist caliber years out of Schneider.

Ehrhoff was terrible.

Anson Carter probably got overpaid by his next team as well.

Agreed with Schneider. He was star at the start of his time with the Devils.

Ehrhoff was cheap for what he offered (at least cap hit-wise), but 10 years was a bit crazy.

Carter is one I forgot about but definitely peeved me at the time. He didn't realize how much the Sedins were part of his success. My vote would probably go to Carter.

53 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How about the worst career move (to leave the Canucks)?:lol:

My vote goes to Anson Carter. :P

I would say it also didn't really help Luongo.  Only got one tiny sniff of the playoffs ever again on a crap team.

Kevin McCarthy quietly requested a trade after losing the C in 1982 and I think his career was significantly worse for it.

My petty vote goes to Ehrhoff.  To leave as unceremoniously as he did, saying he wanted to leave for a championship with Buffalo (I get that he said it likely for PR but still) it's like we got the last laugh when his career tanked the way it did. 

Hard to think of many others, since most of the guys who leave are depth players or regressing, and actual contributors e.g. Tanev/ Edler/ Markstrom sign for what they're worth. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

My petty vote goes to Ehrhoff.  To leave as unceremoniously as he did, saying he wanted to leave for a championship with Buffalo (I get that he said it likely for PR but still) it's like we got the last laugh when his career tanked the way it did. 

Every year for the another seven seasons, Ehrhoff will paid out $857,143 a year, or $6 million in total. I think he's the one who got the last laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Players that we never resigned, who went on to get contracts with new teams. There's a few notable defenseman. I remember for most of these, the fanbase agreed it was best to let them go, because their next contract wouldn't be worth it. And we were right.

Christian Ehrhoff 10 years, 40 million. Would have been under contract this year still ! Bought out in 2014.

Ed Jovanovski. 5 years, 32.5 million. That's a 6.5 million dollar cap hit in the the 2006/2010 world.

Cory Schneider 7 years, 42 million.

Who else ?  Ehrhoff will be tough to beat.

Ohlund wasn't a scorer, he didn't need to be, hitting everything that moved like a tank and moved the puck well. Ohlund and Salo were amazing for this team for quite awhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How about the worst career move (to leave the Canucks)?:lol:

My vote goes to Anson Carter. :P

I remember reading fantasy news in a hockey magazine at Safeway (remember magazines?!) prior to the post-Carter year.

The advice, roughly paraphrased here was: "Don't draft the Sedins too high. Their potential for bust is through the roof without Carter to play with". Now, nothing personal against Anson - seemed like a good dude - but did he ever make a mistake not re-signing.

And also, could that also be the reason we don't buy magazines anymore? I mean, I'm open to other suggestions, but I feel like flabbergasting miscalculations like that could be the very reason they went out of style. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ohlund was 32 years old when he signed that retirement contract with the Bolts.  Different situation imho.

Ohlund wasn't that old for another big deal, and he was crushing guys seemingly every night on the highlights back then.   I just moved to the East for and he really surprised a lot of media guys on how effective he was on the body, and the other side of the puck.   Like other guys his age, the way he played the game changed, more of a defensive D then a two-way D for the Bolts.   If he wasn't good, he wouldn't have been part of that team  that came close. Players in the East eventually wised up to getting blown up a little, but he remained a solid D right until he couldn't do it anymore with injuries.   

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Ohlund wasn't a scorer, he didn't need to be, hitting everything that moved like a tank and moved the puck well. Ohlund and Salo were amazing for this team for quite awhile.

yeah but his ice time also fell in year 2. All around, the contract was a total disaster. And it was on Tampa Bay. Too much term. Period.