The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I remember this preseason, both Calgary and Edmonton played Canucks with their NHL roster. Canucks played with a AHL Abby roster looking for a 4th liner who’ll only play 6mins a game and will be gone once Motte is back. 
Green didn’t prepare this Canuck team for the season. Where as Calgary and Edmonton where prepared and now look at standings.

Green asked if hes got his lines figured out with 2 preseason games too go. Green said “yes”.  Obviously he doesn’t. No forward lines are consistently together. Pearson and Bo with ? Is the closest green has kept together.

this slow season start is 100% greens fault. Passive no movement PK & PP, of course the Canucks special teams is horrible. Im sure Green thinks a practice the special teams look great because no one’s challenging anyone. Easy zone entry tons of time. Tons of BS. 

im serious saying bench Green for a week tell him go f’n home figure things out come back for 2 weeks and if Canucks aren’t winning hes fired. 

Go Canucks Go

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe that’s true. Having said that, there is a lot wrong with his game right now that the injury would not effect at all.

most of those things have been wrong with his game ever since his rookie season. It is easy to forget because when he is on he is a star but he is very streaky.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning could trade for McDavid and it wouldn’t make a difference. Green wound turn him into a 3rd line penalty killer. 

Calgary lost their captain in Giordano so that offsets any gains they made with other players. At the end of the day Markstrom is playing like Patrick Roy, Gudbranson looks like a top 3 pick again, Mangiapane is making bread every game scoring at will. Little Johnny is having a career year. This is no accident. It’s all because of coaching. 

Benning has made enough new acquisitions to turn the Canucks into a legit playoff team. Green is doing everything he can to put us back in the lottery. No amount of new acquisitions is going to change this.  

Until we get a real coach we will always be a bottom feeder. 

Totally agree. It’s still early in the season but this team is so disorganized and disjointed that its pointless to attempt to blame that on the roster. Other teams seem to look just fine with acclimating and assimilating their new additions. Look no further than Calgary and Edmonton.

Green has plateaued. Now he looks to be running on fumes, juggling the lines every game, benching players who’ve played their asses off, and putting valuable players on waivers and gifting plugs spots on the team. This isn’t going to magically improve. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s won a Stanley Cup with Tampa and has the respect of a lot of players with Henrik and Daniel being two of them. 

I have talked to a lot of players over the years and can tell you most I have talked to who have had Torts as a coach actually love him. They always know what he is thinking and where he stands. They always know not only that he is not happy with their play but also why and what he expects them to do differently. And they appreciate that no one on the team is immune from accountability to play for the team and the right way. 

And they never have any doubt he will stand up for his players no matter what and that he is comfortable enough in his skin to be willing to step up and take the bullet for them to keep the pressure off.

His public persona gives people an impression of him. The impression you get talking to people in the hockey world is very different. He is highly respected as a good teacher and a strong leader.

We could do far worse than Torts IMO.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He also said we are team that has no identity and is fun to play against. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of management or coaching.

Yes that’s obvious.

ans as I explained in an earlier post, we don’t have an identity because the players are having to play the roles that they are not accustomed instinctually inclined to. Hence the $hit passing, positioning, discombobulation.

we have no choice but to play a defensive oriented system because our top defensive players are injured. 

I think our identity would be a fast, run and gun, dynamic O-centric forward group that is capable of matching up with any in the league. 

problem is, you lose or DEFER that identity when having to perform in another capacity altogether. 

we could go forward with a run and gun offense now,  but there would even worse defensive support. I don’t know if I’d rather the boys be forced to play defensively and at least try to develop skills that way until certain players are healthy. It’s bloody boring hockey and also seems defeatist. BUT, I don’t think we have another option at this time because from ownership down this team was built/purchased with a specific blueprint in mind which should be icing a deep team. Injuries are heavily messing with that. You have to at east admit that it has and still is playing a heavy role in the distinction, no?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Warhawk said:

But no, we should of tore it all down, accumulated draft picks and young players, saved money on the cap and weaponize it to bring in even more young players/picks and that is when we can be told to be patient.

Instead we spent to the cap or close to every year, were told we would be competitive and were trying to make the playoffs, we traded more picks than we acquired, we let our free agents walk at the end of the year for nothing, we overpaid in free agency for guys like Sam Gagner, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Tim Schaller and Brandon Sutter and those are just off the top of my head.

We for whatever reason hung on to Loui E for 84% of his contract length while other teams almost always are able to rid of their overpaid garbage, we traded young assets for Erik Gudbranson, Linden Vey and Sven Baertschi, gave a previously concussed player a 4 year contract(take care Ferland I'm glad you got paid) we hired the worst NHL coach I've ever seen Willie Desjardins. Resigning Virtanen and letting Toffoli walk? Lol like who does that? No 2nd round picks in 2015 and 2016 

Edit: JB admittedly shopped for P.K Subban years ago

In 2018 we totally lucked out and got Quinn Hughes and nobody ever talks about this.  IMAGINE, just imagine if Detroit took Quinn Hughes, where would we be right now?  We are LUCKY to be as good as we are now...let that sink in.  

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally agree. It’s still early in the season but this team is so disorganized and disjointed that its pointless to attempt to blame that on the roster. Other teams seem to look just fine with acclimating and assimilating their new additions. Look no further than Calgary and Edmonton.

Green has plateaued. Now he looks to be running on fumes, juggling the lines every game, benching players who’ve played their asses off, and putting valuable players on waivers and gifting plugs spots on the team. This isn’t going to magically improve. 

This happened last year where it showed he was incapable of taking this team to the next step. I think the core players know this and the new players are starting to realize this.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

All teams depart with injuries all the time. Pittsburgh is a good recent  example.  The team Identity should not change drastically because of that. Next man up.  We are mostly healthy right now and the product is crap.  There is no cohesion at all.  That goes beyond playing a defensive system.  If Hamonics return is  crucial to the entire team playing at a different level, we are in real trouble. 

Just so you know, I totally agree with you. I would construct this team different myself. 

That said, PIT is the anomaly though. 
You think if McBaby and Draisaitl go down that EDM could continue at the same clip? That Tippet is still going to utilize a heavy O minded attack? Doubt it, they don’t have the depth to do so. 

Our weak link is that our depth is always injured causing the O to have to shift priority in how they play. It’s not just the system, it’s the nature of the player within it. We have an F group, started out with Bo, who have all been asked to adapt into a two way game because the players counted on to bear the minute load of suppressing the other teams top lines, are injured.

if it’s so easy to develop a system that caters to the existing circumstance and effectuate change, then I ask you to put that forward. What is it? What is a new coach going to employ in the same circumstance that will make us successful given our roster makeup?

Who and what system?

Also, look at the contrast of play when we are in OT and at 3 on 3. We dominate. That is our forward identity when not having to play D with such responsibility.  

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2