The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Travis Hamonic

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don't know, and I don't want to find out. I'd rather that kind of behavior get called out before it has a chance of spreading.

Personally, I highly doubt it. KH has always made these ridiculous absolute statements, which have never really gained much traction.

Most fans that hate on players would never deride them at a game. I think most Canucks fans realize that Brad Hunt is in the lineup because of Hamonic's absence and is doing the best he can with the capabilities he has. Was Loui Player Name ever booed in his entire time here? He wasn't. People have more decorum than that.

The last person to be mentioned by name at a game in a negative way was Mike Gillis and that was a long time ago. I don't remember a single Canucks fan showing up to a game with a paper bag on their head like they have in Toronto. Even if the team keeps losing, which I hope it doesn't, I can't see fans booing the team or asking for Green or Benning's resignation. I could be wrong, I'll admit, but I hope I'm not. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Personally, I highly doubt it. KH has always made these ridiculous absolute statements, which have never really gained much traction.

Most fans that hate on players would never deride them at a game. I think most Canucks fans realize that Brad Hunt is in the lineup because of Hamonic's absence and is doing the best he can with the capabilities he has. Was Loui Player Name ever booed in his entire time here? He wasn't. People have more decorum than that.

The last person to be mentioned by name at a game in a negative way was Mike Gillis and that was a long time ago. I don't remember a single Canucks fan showing up to a game with a paper bag on their head like they have in Toronto. Even if the team keeps losing, which I hope it doesn't, I can't see fans booing the team or asking for Green or Benning's resignation. I could be wrong, I'll admit, but I hope I'm not. 

That's a fair assessment.

Although you mentioning Loui, and seeing that his name is still censored, tells me that there's a problem on these boards with posters going too far with degrading certain players.

We know that some players read social media, which includes CDC. It's one thing to say player x is in over his head, playing poorly, etc. But it's another to say a player is unwanted, garbage, disgracing the franchise, or whatever other ridiculous statement.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's a fair assessment.

Although you mentioning Loui, and seeing that his name is still censored, tells me that there's a problem on these boards with posters going too far with degrading certain players.

We know that some players read social media, which includes CDC. It's one thing to say player x is in over his head, playing poorly, etc. But it's another to say a player is unwanted, garbage, disgracing the franchise, or whatever other ridiculous statement.

I hear you. I think statements that degrade players are actually more of an indictment on the person writing the statement than the player themselves. That being said, social media being as omnipresent as it is gives people a voice that very few actually do something constructive with. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
I said "that being said" twice.
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

It's a recurring pattern with that poster, and a toxic mentality. It isn't just an opinion he's posting, it's a call to action. One that is designed to run a player out of town.

Perhaps you don't, but I have a problem with that, and think our players deserve better. Given the feedback in this thread, it seems I'm not alone in this belief.

Mental health matters. For everyone, even depth players. This is all that needs to be said on the matter.

Yes, “feedback” is what this forums are for! 

I already said I agree with you on the issue, I just strongly dislike the culturally pervasive mentality that dissenting opinions should be censored. Let terrible ideas be worked out in public through conversation instead of by force. 

I understand you disagree, and that’s your right. And even though I think your idea about censorship is just as much (or more) toxic as a call to boo players to get through to management, I wouldn’t dream of asking the mods to shut you down :)

8 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Yes, “feedback” is what this forums are for! 

I already said I agree with you on the issue, I just strongly dislike the culturally pervasive mentality that dissenting opinions should be censored. Let terrible ideas be worked out in public through conversation instead of by force. 

I understand you disagree, and that’s your right. And even though I think your idea about censorship is just as much (or more) toxic as a call to boo players to get through to management, I wouldn’t dream of asking the mods to shut you down :)

I agree with this 99% of the time.

As mentioned, I feel it's different when it's a call to action, or an over the top comment meant solely to degrade the player.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree here.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

So playing on your other side on D is impossible? C'mon, I played D for the Powell river regals when I was young, I played my other side no problem because I was good at reading plays and positioning and an adjustment to it isn't a massive huge deal like your making it out to be, just more focus on positioning is all, not the best scenario but short term? can be done until something is figured out so the sky isn't falling..  

Of coz it's not humanly impossible... that much we know already!! I was simply commenting on how Green prefers using his D-men on their natural side all along... 

I'm cool with Burroughs or Schenn on the left side if they can do a decent job but I have a feeling Green will lean on Hunt, that's all!

19 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Of coz it's not humanly impossible... that much we know already!! I was simply commenting on how Green prefers using his D-men on their natural side all along... 

I'm cool with Burroughs or Schenn on the left side if they can do a decent job but I have a feeling Green will lean on Hunt, that's all!

I like what Burr has been bringing. I'd choose him over Hunt. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I don't know, and I don't want to find out. I'd rather that kind of behaviour get called out before it has a chance of spreading.

Hunt is a local guy and after signing talked about how excited he was to get the chance to play for his home town team. If a group of knuckle heads actually did boo him because he had a few bad games, that would be beyond rediculous.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Itchyfinger said:

Would loved to see him do well, but missing training camp and the first 9 games is going to be a challenge for his timing.

I was surprised he didn't practice more and get another game in Abby

28 minutes ago, Ajax- said:

I was surprised he didn't practice more and get another game in Abby

It sounds like Hamonic has really kept up on his fitness and conditioning, so he’s 100% physically ready to go.

But the only way to quickly get him up to speed for the NHL, is to get him into actual NHL games, and the remaining four home dates over the next eight days, offers a good opportunity.

He likely won’t be fully vaxxed in time for the next road trips (starting Nov 11 for Vancouver and Nov 12 for Abby), and the Abby Canucks only play two games (and their next game is not until Friday) before heading out on the road, so I think this NHL Canucks schedule offers the best opportunity to get Hamonic into some games, and fast track his return to game level fitness and performance.

Tucker Poolman’s game is also deteriorating IMO (this really is starting to show up on the analytics side), so getting Hamonic into the lineup, on that right side of the defence, will be a welcome pressure release, as hopefully it will allow the team to better divide some of the harder minutes among the pairings, putting Poolman into a better position to succeed in his role.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It sounds like Hamonic has really kept up on his fitness and conditioning, so he’s 100% physically ready to go.

But the only way to quickly get him up to speed for the NHL, is to get him into actual NHL games, and the remaining four home dates over the next eight days, offers a good opportunity.

He likely won’t be fully vaxxed in time for the next road trips (starting Nov 11 for Vancouver and Nov 12 for Abby), and the Abby Canucks only play two games (and their next game is not until Friday) before heading out on the road, so I think this NHL Canucks schedule offers the best opportunity to get Hamonic into some games, and fast track his return to game level fitness and performance.

Tucker Poolman’s game is also deteriorating IMO (this really is starting to show up on the analytics side), so getting Hamonic into the lineup, on that right side of the defence, will be a welcome pressure release, as hopefully it will allow the team to better divide some of the harder minutes among the pairings, putting Poolman into a better position to succeed in his role.

Agree about Poolman.  I think he's a solid addition to the dcorp, but he's punching above his weight class atm

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agree about Poolman.  I think he's a solid addition to the dcorp, but he's punching above his weight class atm

Glad my comment reads as it was intended.

It’s definitely not a criticism of Poolman, just recognizing that there’s a ceiling on what can be reasonably expected from him right now, and he’s been asked to play above it.

Tough spot for a guy like Poolman, with limited NHL experience and starting fresh with a new team. Especially with the team struggling, and the way this defence is built, there’s little room for him to hide. Poolman has shown some great tools, and you can see how he’ll be a solid player for us, but he really has been “punching above his weight class atm,” as you said, and the results have shown (especially in the underlying numbers).

I think Hamonic’s return should really help.

(At least once he’s settled in and up to game speed, and can start eating tough minutes, and take some pressure off that right side D.)

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Glad my comment reads as it was intended.

It’s definitely not a criticism of Poolman, just recognizing that there’s a ceiling on what can be reasonably expected from him right now, and he’s been asked to play above it.

Tough spot for a guy like Poolman, with limited NHL experience and starting fresh with a new team. Especially with the team struggling, and the way this defence is built, there’s little room for him to hide. Poolman has shown some great tools, and you can see how he’ll be a solid player for us, but he really has been “punching above his weight class atm,” as you said, and the results have shown (especially in the underlying numbers).

I think Hamonic’s return should really help.

(At least once he’s settled in and up to game speed, and can start eating tough minutes, and take some pressure off that right side D.)

he's  much better skater than I expected and does have some shades of Tanev, for sure.  In addition to the points you made, coming in and playing with a guy like Hughes, who is not easy to play with, is a tough ask for him.  He's done reasonably well, but they need Hamonic back in that spot

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Hunt is a local guy and after signing talked about how excited he was to get the chance to play for his home town team. If a group of knuckle heads actually did boo him because he had a few bad games, that would be beyond rediculous.

That was too far on my end.  I was letting off a bit of steam as I really don't want to see him play, but still shouldn't have suggested that.

My bad.

• Cheers 2