The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

The game could had gone either way and the PP's in the second pretty much kept the Rags from there game (for the most part); eventhough, they capitalized on there PP chances in the second.  

Team win despite of Green & friends - imo.  Anyways, finally a home win.

That could be described for most games, I think. It's a game of inches. 

I'm glad that they've finally won. Let's celebrate and relish in this. Another win might not come our way for a while. oh no help GIF by Bounce

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Take out the special teams and pretty much the whole team played well imo 

It was pretty boring for both teams. It wasn't exactly entertaining for either teams end until late in the 3rd.  I credit more so the PPs preventing any sort of Rags momentum shift. The PPs were pretty spread out and we had 12 minutes of full on PP time since there was no 2 man advantage. Rags didn't really build any momentum on their PKs. They played a boring game as well and couldn't build any momentum because of the penalties. They scored pretty quickly into their PPs and 2 of their 5 PPs were late in the game on that 5 on 3.

So only 1 full PP time(killed PP) until the last 55 for the Rags compared to 12 minutes of full PP time for the first 55 minutes of so for us

IMO both teams weren't great or particularly awful. We just had the better spread of things with PP time. Nothing was going for us until Garland stepped up big in the 3rd and the PK did at the very end of regulation. Demko had to be lights out too in pivotal moments.

Nothing was going for the Rags either besides Panarin stepping up and Igor(like Demko). It was that type of game for both teams.

Garland and Demko got us into the position for Miller to be the hero. HM to Poolman who had a couple huge blocks on that PK late. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

10 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

Not sure why people are saying this, it was a disaster out there.  The Rangers were asleep from having to PK the whole time, we were at home and we provided nothing until the third period.  Special teams is the new NHL and we are struggling big time

Huh? Rangers should have gotten momentum from killing those penalties. We stuck to it. Yes the special times are killing us but overall we out played them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yah, and did the Canucks rely on luck tonight?  No, they didn't.  They won the game despite being snakebitten compared to the Rangers.  You can't just say "Oh, it doesn't matter if the power play is unlucky, they have to score anyway."  There have been many games back from 2010 where the special teams were out of this world good, yet the Canucks still came out on the wrong end of how many PP goals were scored.  IT'S BECAUSE LUCK IS A THING THAT EXISTS.  This game was the most complete by the Canucks from beginning to end this season, and if you say this wasn't, please tell me a game that was.

They played well in 1 period. I do agree it was probably the most complete game this season though. Usually it’s only about 10 min.

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That could be described for most games, I think. It's a game of inches. 

I'm glad that they've finally won. Let's celebrate and relish in this. Another win might not come our way for a while. oh no help GIF by Bounce

I agree for tonight its a win but still alot of work; and most enjoyable game of the season.

Demkos' impression of Hasek - priceless 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Two games in a row now where the team hasn't given up a full strength goal

i guess thats a positive

but those special teams, barf

The team looks a lot more solid this year 5 v 5 they’re just out of sync / snakebitten offensively and lost on the powerplay.  

Hopefully most of that evens out with all the firepower up front. If that happens with Demko playing like he is we’ll be a tough team to beat most nights.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It was pretty boring for both teams. It wasn't exactly entertaining for either teams end until late in the 3rd.  I credit more so the PPs preventing any sort of Rags momentum shift. The PPs were pretty spread out and we had 12 minutes of full on PP time since there was no 2 man advantage. Rags didn't really build any momentum on their PKs. They played a boring game as well and couldn't build any momentum because of the penalties. They scored pretty quickly into their PPs and 2 of their 5 PPs were late in the game on that 5 on 3.

So only 1 full PP time(killed PP) until the last 55 for the Rags compared to 12 minutes of full PP time for the first 55 minutes of so for us

IMO both teams weren't great or particularly awful. We just had the better spread of things with PP time. Nothing was going for us until Garland stepped up big in the 3rd and the PK did at the very end of regulation. Demko had to be lights out too in pivotal moments.

Garland and Demko got us into the position for Miller to be the hero. HM to Poolman who had a couple huge blocks on that PK late. 

I saw it differently. Those PPs should have ruined any momentum. We kept at it and got more PPs. I actually didn’t wanna see any more PPs because I thought we had a better chance to win 5 on 5 and that became true.

The team should have be deflated but they stuck to it. Nothing really exciting happened till the third true but the first 2 periods we pushed the play even though we weren’t getting very good chances 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If he doesn't deserve any credit, then you can't blame him for the losses either. It doesn't work that way. 

We've been criticizing his systems for the mounting losses over the last 3 games at home, then he wins this one, and he still gets criticized? 

Help me understand what do you mean when you say Green was his usual blender/blunder self? Why doesn't he deserve any praise or credit for this win? 

I agree with you that Garland definitely the best player tonight against the Rangers. He was buzzing out there all night. 

That’s literally how it works. 

If you’re a constant hinderance to the success of the team, even when they eek out a win, then you don’t get credit for that win. You still shoulder the blame for the hinderance through mismanagement of talent, ice time, line combos, and other variables that Green is in control of. 

He’s the new ‘Shotgun’. Shotgun Green is firing scattershot lines and combinations hoping something hits the target.

The team won tonight despite his continued Blenderama. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

After tonight, Podz should see the ice more and Chiasson can take his spot in the bench 

Yes, and put DiGuseppe on the 4th line Chiasson in the press box. More grit. 

Goal scoring upside way bigger with Podz. Podz audition is over. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If he doesn't deserve any credit, then you can't blame him for the losses either. It doesn't work that way. 

We've been criticizing his systems for the mounting losses over the last 3 games at home, then he wins this one, and he still gets criticized? 

Help me understand what do you mean when you say Green was his usual blender/blunder self? Why doesn't he deserve any praise or credit for this win? 

I agree with you that Garland definitely the best player tonight against the Rangers. He was buzzing out there all night. 

Because the systems, line blendering, and deployment head scratchers were still evident just like in the losses?

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He didn’t win $&!#. He was a passenger in this win train. 

The team won on their own effort. Particularly Demko, Miller, Podz and several others who upped their play individually. 

Green was his usual blender/blunder self. 

Green deserves no praise or credit for this win.

Edit- And Garland! How could I have forgotten to mention probably our best forward tonight. :picard:

So .... Green gets no credit for putting Garland up with Petey and JT?  If you're going to blame him for the losses, you need to credit him with the wins.  Personally I don't credit Green for wins/losses.  I put that all on the players.  They're the ones playing.  You blaming the coach for all the losses, yet when they win he gets no acknowledgment is beyond stupid.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Good teams don’t have to rely on luck finding them. They make their own luck. 

Our PP is pretty much garbage. No finish or killer instinct on it at all.

Switch OEL for Hughes and Garland for Miller. Might be able to hit the net and make a play.

I would second this. its beyond absurd we haven't tried OEL and Garland on PP1. 

Miller's weak backpasses are interception magnets on the PP. 

However Garland and Miller have shown chemistry. 

I think one of Petterson or Miller needs to move to PP2. 

Petterson is always poised for the shot so it seems like Hughes always looks like he has to feed him the puck and the same cycle continues over and over again. 

Move OEL and Garland to PP1 and move Hughes and Miller/Petterson to PP2. 

Well get better looks for sure. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s literally how it works. 

If you’re a constant hinderance to the success of the team, even when they eek out a win, then you don’t get credit for that win. You still shoulder the blame for the hinderance through mismanagement of talent, ice time, line combos, and other variables that Green is in control of. 

He’s the new ‘Shotgun’. Shotgun Green is firing scattershot lines and combinations hoping something hits the target.

The team won tonight despite his continued Blenderama. 

This times 1 billion

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Because the systems, line blendering, and deployment head scratchers were still evident just like in the losses?

System looked fine to me.  They were outplaying the rangers for the majority of the game.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1