The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Dump and change offensive hockey is not a good system in minor hockey let alone the nhl.

They had 12 min of PP time. It stands to reason they should generate some shots.

Outplaying them? In what way? They were still giving up pucks by dumping and not chasing, losing races and puck battles all game long, and were passive and scramble defensively.

Sure sounds like a fantastic system.

They had 12 min of PP time and had 13 shots on those PPs.  That's not generating shots?  They had 5 shots on the last PP alone.  Only time the Rangers looked dangerous was on the PP and once SH.  The Canucks were the way better team 5 on 5.  I don't know what game you were watching but they weren't losing races and puck battles all game long.  They outshot the rangers 36 - 22.  I'll take that system any time any game compared to some of the others we've played.

• Like 2

Just now, Viper007 said:

They had 12 min of PP time and had 13 shots on those PPs.  That's not generating shots?  They had 5 shots on the last PP alone.  Only time the Rangers looked dangerous was on the PP and once SH.  The Canucks were the way better team 5 on 5.  I don't know what game you were watching but they weren't losing races and puck battles all game long.  They outshot the rangers 36 - 22.  I'll take that system any time any game compared to some of the others we've played.

:lol:

1.083 shots per power play minute. 

All hail Travis Green’ blender ‘system’!

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Doing what things? 

Garland should have been on the top line before tonight. Garland is literally the catalyst for tonight’s offence. A head coach ought to have recognized him for being the energy the top 6 needed games ago. 

Podz has been benched plenty this season thus far over less talented plugs. Don’t be obtuse. Your myopia in defending Green but not defending Green isn’t fooling anyone. 

King/Baumer aren’t the head coaches. Green is. If he’s too stupid to override his assistants then he’s the $&!# leader that many believe him to be…except you seemingly. 

Green’s body of mismanagement speaks for itself thus far this season. The team eeked out a win. Good for them. If Green is only capable of coaching wins that are eeked out based on luck and fortuitous bounces and a goaltender who has to make miraculous saves, then this team is done for.  

Using the assistant coaches as a means of excusing the head coach lack of a clear plan is laughable.  

Again, stupidity indeed 

Exactly

Glad for the win and the paying crowd atleast, got to experienced a win.  Outside, of a few moments in this game - it could had still gone either way; and imo, the team won despite of Greens (cutting edge) coaching.  The players wanted this game and the multiple consecutive PP's in the second helped keep the Rags off there game.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Doing what things? 

Garland should have been on the top line before tonight. Garland is literally the catalyst for tonight’s offence. A head coach ought to have recognized him for being the energy the top 6 needed games ago. 

Podz has been benched plenty this season thus far over less talented plugs. Don’t be obtuse. Your myopia in defending Green but not defending Green isn’t fooling anyone. 

King/Baumer aren’t the head coaches. Green is. If he’s too stupid to override his assistants then he’s the $&!# leader that many believe him to be…except you seemingly. 

Green’s body of mismanagement speaks for itself thus far this season. The team eeked out a win. Good for them. If Green is only capable of coaching wins that are eeked out based on luck and fortuitous bounces and a goaltender who has to make miraculous saves, then this team is done for.  

Using the assistant coaches as a means of excusing the head coach lack of a clear plan is laughable.  

Again, stupidity indeed 

As a coach, you're also trying to get more than just one line going.  You're trying to spread out the offense.  Again, you need to see how the lines are going before changing things up.  

Do I want to see Podz play more?  Of course.  But those less talented plugs have a role on this team that Podz doesn't have yet.  Usually they're PKers or in Chaissons case, he's the net front presence.

Green has assistants to help for a reason.  If you're going to override them, then why even have them.  Might as well just have yourself doing everything like you seem to think he should do.

I don't excuse the assistant coaches for things, just like I don't excuse the coach, but the blame is 90% on the players.  The coach gets too much blame when things don't go right.

You blaming Green for losses and not for wins is again the stupidity in all of this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller-EP-Garland

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Bailey-Lammikko-Motte (when he is back)

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Schenn-Hamonic

God

Halak

Only tweak I make to your lineup is Borroughs on D. He has played really well. I play Schenn against the heavy teams, otherwise sit him. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, IceHockeyPlayer said:

This win still hides the fact that the Canucks are disorganized, can’t enter the zone cleanly, and have ineffective and very predictable powerplay. Still not giving pass on the coaching staff. However, I appreciate that the effort level is much higher tonight. They need to get pucks on net more and quicker on the powerplay. Something that Petey used to do but other teams are adjusting to him. If Miller takes more shots on left side maybe it can give Petey more time on right, stretching out the D a bit more. Too much peripheral passing in my opinion.

Peripheral passing and then settling for a weak wrist shots from the point.  

I have liked Garland, Hoglander and Podkolzin lately because they've been the only guys trying something else.  I do think that a part of why they look disorganized is the fact that half of their roster is new this year.  Wouldn't be surprised if it takes them another 10 games to get settled in.  Hopefully we're hovering around .500 when that happens. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

was that the line up for tonight's game against the Rangers? 

I like that third line. Podkolzin and Höglander have some chemsitry it seems off the ice. You think maybe it translates onto the ice.

No.  It started as ...

Miller EP Boeser 

Pearson Bo Hogz

Podz Dickinson Garland

By 3rd period, Garland saw some time with Miller and EP.

7 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Like I said, they had 12 min of pp time. Generating shots with that many minutes is pretty easy.

The only constant with this team is that they take mostly perimeter, low percentage shots, fail to generate much off the rush due to the dump and change style, and they regularly lose races and board battles.

Not sure what 5 years of Canucks hockey you have been watching.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, they had 12 min of pp time. Generating shots with that many minutes is pretty easy.

The only constant with this team is that they take mostly perimeter, low percentage shots, fail to generate much off the rush due to the dump and change style, and they regularly lose races and board battles.

Not sure what 5 years of Canucks hockey you have been watching.

Personally I've seen the Canucks play better every season except for last in an anomaly of a season.  If you don't like what they're doing, I suggest you stop watching.  Cause you're definitely not letting other fans enjoy games with your condescending statements.

Just now, bad alice french said:

We needed that. 
Another loss would have been demoralizing. Hopefully instills some confidence. 

I hope so too.  Hopefully this win turns it around for the Canucks and they end this homestand on a good run.  

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

I quoted you on not generating any shots, yet they did.  Don't let facts get in your way though.

I didn’t say they didn’t generate shots. Clearly you misread what I said.

I said with 12 min of pp it’s a given that they would generate shots. What team wouldn’t with that much pp time. As in, generating shots means little if you can’t actually score on them and if they are mostly in the crest weak low percentage shots which this team has basically trademarked at this point.

• Upvote 1