The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good to see PP improved a lot, how about any suggestions to PK?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

Bring in a left shot 3rd pair D with some size, eats pucks and can kill penalties 

sutter hasn’t even started skating yet so he’s out at least another month 

motte will be back within the week 

For now, gotta focus on the system because the personnel isn’t changing much in the near future 

The PK is still way too static. I also feel like the opposing team always scores when Poolman is on the ice as well. Either the puck goes off of him or he somehow misses blocking or intercepting a puck. The biggest thing is winning a draw so we can clear 20 seconds right off the back.. unfortunately we don't have faceoff ringers like Beagle or Sutter now.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

How about being truthful:

Nobody "got rid of" Tanev; he signed an unrestricted free agent deal with a different team.

Right, ‘scuse me.

We didn’t get rid of him, we just didn’t want to capitulate to his unreasonable demands and pay him an extra $50,000 x 4 years when he went out swinging for the fences on his veteran homerun contract.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

How about being truthful:

Nobody "got rid of" Tanev; he signed an unrestricted free agent deal with a different team.

The Truth is, JB didn't prioritize him and chased OEL instead. It was a blunderous offseason.

When it became apparent that trade wasn't going to happen, Benning then started negotiations with him on day 1 of UFA with a low ball offer ($4 mil x 2yrs) . By then Tanev had already worked through his negotiating back-and-forth with the Flames with a higher offer on the table already and didn't want to go through the same process with the Nucks who clearly didn't feel like he was a priority. He didn't even bother answering Benning's phone that day.

And we let a top 2 RHD walk to a division rival while we've been trying to fill his space with depth pieces that clearly haven't filled that gap (Hamonic/Schenn/Poolman).  It is a hole not only in our roster, but in our dressing room as he was one of the respected leaders as well. 

I suppose at least they gave Tanev the courtesy of the call, unlike Toffoli.

Edited by DSVII

50 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Right, ‘scuse me.

We didn’t get rid of him, we just didn’t want to capitulate to his unreasonable demands and pay him an extra $50,000 x 4 years when he went out swinging for the fences on his veteran homerun contract.

In hindsight, even though it was Toffoli that was cried about most, it is Tanev we miss most.  That outrage was understandable considering, in a matter of months, JB literally threw away Toffoli, a second round pick, and Tyler Madden for nothing. 

Of all the players that were purged or left that year, I wish more effort was made to make him a priority to re-sign.  Of course hindsight is 20/20.  Was it partly because of his injury history?  Canuck Luck that he's now playing relatively injury free for the Flames.  Tanev here would instantly solve a ton of problems for us.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

So you both agree the Canucks did not "get rid of him".

Thanks for the honesty.

Was never really my stance, but 'get rid of' or 'let him walk', regardless of the semantics, I think we can agree as well that the result is still the same. As evidenced by on the ice performance.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I always expected, during that spring, that either Markstrom or Tanev would re-sign.  Not both. I knew we couldn't afford both.  And with Demko's star rising, I thought they should have concentrated on Tanev.  But it seems like JB & Co. spent most of their time and personal communications, with Markstrom's agent. According to Tanev, Benning ignored him, and only when he knew Marky was leaving did he make a last ditch phone call.  Chris didn't even bother picking it up, and signed with Calgary an hour later.

In hindsight, even though it was Toffoli that was cried about most, it is Tanev we miss most.  That outrage was understandable considering, in a matter of months, JB literally threw away Toffoli, a second round pick, and Tyler Madden for nothing. 

Of all the players that were purged or left that year, I wish more effort was made to make him a priority to re-sign.  Of course hindsight is 20/20.  Was it partly because of his injury history?  Canuck Luck that he's now playing relatively injury free for the Flames.  Tanev here would instantly solve a ton of problems for us.

100% i'm pretty sure Markstrom would not be leading the league in shutouts right now if he did not come as a 'package deal' with Tanev. That was a very underrated loss.

Toffoli is softened by the fact that we have Garland now, if you just ignore the cascading asset management aspect of the trade haha (losing a 2nd and Madden for nothing, which then forces you to trade a top 10 pick to fill the hole caused by that)

• Vintage 1

Need a right handed C that can win faceoffs.  On the PK, that can mean shaving 10-15 seconds off the PP.  Sadly, I don't think Sutter will return this year.

Need a bottom LD that can PK and shot block.

Need a better PK coach.

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

100% i'm pretty sure Markstrom would not be leading the league in shutouts right now if he did not come as a 'package deal' with Tanev. That was a very underrated loss.

Toffoli is softened by the fact that we have Garland now, if you just ignore the cascading asset management aspect of the trade haha (losing a 2nd and Madden for nothing, which then forces you to trade a top 10 pick to fill the hole caused by that)

Well thats it.  You can't ignore the "cascading asset management aspect".  Its a staple of JB's MO here. Bleeding value.  Value as defined in a broad sense of the team's core makeup, a team's prospect pool, upcoming draft picks, acquisitions, either through trade or FAs, living up to their contracts. Buy high - sell low.  Too many transactions that resulted in not getting back the same value as we let go. Even just forcing this team to have to re-set and adjust to losing core players and adjust to so many new team mates every season. The time it takes to "gel" again, as we are witnessing, is a kind of lost value in terms of making the playoffs. Not every trade or signing but enough of them, chipped away at value. The Miller trade worked out okay, although it was still a first and third, and considering the team had already traded away and were in a deficit of allotted picks during JBs tenure, and we were still building the team, those picks were extra valuable to us. Miller wasn't free. 

You can say Toffoli is softened because we have Garland, but we also gave up yet another 1st and 2nd as part of the package. Even if you pin the first rounder for OEL, and the second for Garland, he wasn't free.  Sure we dumped a few bad contracts too...but if you include them into the conversation, then you have to look at why they were deemed so essential to sign for so much when they were.  Over valued.   It all comes back to "cascading asset management" style of his. Where its past mistakes that determine what you do today. Instead of building on past successes. And value, in many different forms, has been leaking drop by drop under this management.

I do give JB credit for pulling a rabbit, (or gnome) out of a hat this last off season. Making lemonade out of the scraps of lemon peel and rotten fruit we had. He's going all in now using whatever value he had left to use. Including borrowing from his future value pool in the draft to make it work. We'll see.  It might just work. Fingers crossed. Success breeds success, and if the team does well, the players on it will increase their own value, and management can use that bump in value to trade for younger talent, and replenish the picks over the next few years.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:31 AM, Firstname Lastname said:

The Canucks were pretty good in pk a couple of seasons ago, so I think Green knows how to run a good pk.

It's probably the problem of personnel and execution.

yep that's exactly it and it will improve.. no reason for people to freak out but then again shorthouse and Garrett make such a big deal about it no wonder people are losing their shi* over it, those two are complete idiots. 

It's simply a matter of time for the PP to get better and really click but our best penalty killers aren't on the roster so what do people expect? 

6 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

How about go back in time and don’t get rid of this guy

2671A54F-636C-4855-A326-0B696299BFC0.jpeg

How about NO! if he could stay healthy at his age then yes but he was so often injured, was an easy call to let him go especially since he'd have been looking for term and for that when a player can't stay healthy and on the wrong side of 30 only someone really stupid would do that, nice thought though.

19 hours ago, billabong said:

Bring in a left shot 3rd pair D with some size, eats pucks and can kill penalties 

sutter hasn’t even started skating yet so he’s out at least another month 

motte will be back within the week 

For now, gotta focus on the system because the personnel isn’t changing much in the near future 

And work on winning faceoffs

On 11/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, King Heffy said:

Fire Baumgartner and let Shaw run it.

That's one change I could get behind.

Or they can go way off the page and have Quinn,  Petey and  Brock kill penalties focusing on offense and keep- away worked on Tuesday lol.

But seriously  they should try Quinn and possibly Hoglander, Podz or both.

Quinn is dynamic moving the puck and it seems 90% of the goals happen off of failed dumps and from not being quick enough to the puck or just being out of position.

People will say he's to small but guys on the pp are usually the skilled players so to me it makes sense to have our most skilled dman.

Guys like Hogz and Podz are like dogs with a bone when it comes to puck battles, seems like a good skill to have on the pk.