The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Avalanche l Thursday, Nov. 11/21 l 6:00 PM

Rate this topic

-DLC-

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My Dad was a mechanic on Lancaster bombers in England. He never talked about the war. It was my uncle who told me that Dad and other ground crew who had to remove wounded and dead air crew. Dying in the air was not like the movies. Cleaning the dead out must have been horrific.

Wonder if he worked with my grandfather.  Not sure what kind of aircraft mechanic he was, but since he was RAF anything is possible.  We weren't terribly close, so that's all I know about his contribution.

Damn, that would be horrible.

My two great-grandparents, on my mom's side, were artillery observers in WWI.  At a family gathering, after my grandparents got together, the great-grandparents were talking about the war, and found out they were on the same battlefield on the same day.  Opposite sides.  Would have been an interesting conversation to hear (I was told it was friendly!)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My Dad wouldn't talk about Korea. What's worse for him, my Grandfather died of a heart attack on Remembrance Day. My grandpa was a bus driver in Vancouver, felt chest pains. Continued his shift. Walked home. Said to my Grandma "I love you, and it's been great..." and died in his recliner. So my Dad hated November 11. 

I got him to talk about being in the Signal Corps in the Korean War. Basically he worked up to Sgt., then in a couple of misadventures, including decking a US officer who crashed a Canadian soldiers party, and was being an ass. Luckily he wasn't thrown in the stockade. He finished his tour as a corporal. He didn't see action in the front. But as a radio man it must of been damn awful the stuff he heard. So he'd only talk about things that were funny, a lot of stuff he kept under wraps. 

OMG, this really got me.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

OMG, this really got me.

Sorry Deb. I always wondered why my Dad as a Vet, would gladly work on November 11, and why he got moody around it. When heard about my Grandpa (I never got to meet him) it all made sense and I apologized to my Dad. He understood, and said "It's alright, you didn't know...". 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many of us will be the last generation to have known these vets on a personal basis. Even then we will never have truly known what they went thru. As I age my respect for them grows more and more. Tonight we will watch a bunch of young men play hockey. They are the same age as those who fought for our future. How many of them would not have come home?

So true. My Father's youngest brother was 19 when he was killed at Arnhem. I have a picture of him in uniform with the Welsh Guards. He looks exactly like what he was; a fresh faced kid straight out of school.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

My grampa was ready to get on a plane and fly over to Europe during WWII when he caught Pneumonia and almost died, it actually may have saved his life? He would tell me stories that he was in charge of retrieving deserters, when i asked him what happened when he would go after them he would say "let's just say we didn't see some of them again?" Knowing my grampa and the tough SOB he was you can understand what went through my mind. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My step father came back from Vietnam all messed up, completely out of control ptsd

My 19 year old neighbor across the street too. He robbed the small mom and pop liquor store around the corner. A block away. Sat drinking waiting for the cops to come take him away. 

War- What is it good for

Odd ethics, that if you have a disagreement with a stranger you don't shoot him

But countries cannot follow the same rule

(Yes some don't wanna play fair i get that)

Too bad we cant share world wide wealth

Just watched a Star Trek NG episode of people frozen 300 years  and how they awoke to find it that way

Guess I won't be around to see it :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My Dad was a mechanic on Lancaster bombers in England. He never talked about the war. It was my uncle who told me that Dad and other ground crew who had to remove wounded and dead air crew. Dying in the air was not like the movies. Cleaning the dead out must have been horrific.

My farther also served as a navigator on Lancasters for Bomber command. Shot down twice and lost an eye in the end which meant he had to finish the war as infantry landing on sword beach in 44. Despite that likewise, he rarely ever talked about the war, but even 50 years later his depression and drinking from all the horrors and trauma of that time still took a pretty heavy toll on our family when I was a child. 

Always worth remembering all those who gave so much that we can sit here enjoying a casual game of hockey with friends of any race, creed or colour, free of tyranny and oppression. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

My grampa was ready to get on a plane and fly over to Europe during WWII when he caught Pneumonia and almost died, it actually may have saved his life? He would tell me stories that he was in charge of retrieving deserters, when i asked him what happened when he would go after them he would say "let's just say we didn't see some of them again?" Knowing my grampa and the tough SOB he was you can understand what went through my mind. :unsure:

Yikes! Judging actions by today’s values kinda ignores the reality that they were facing.